Snowblower scraper bar

• Problem
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
I am now into my 3rd season of using the snowblower. I am very disappointed in the quality of the scraper bar. I use my snowblower on a brand new asphalt driveway and a older asphault driveway and newer concrete sidewalk.

I replaced my scraper bar last season I think about mid way maybe. I’m 2 snows in and I already need a new one. EGO is there not a better plastic that these can be made out of? I don’t want to replace it every year once maybe even twice.

EDIT: What type of plastic are shovels made from? Those things take a beating and last for years.
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 9,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of walt

walt

• 680 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Same here. Not used much and the scraper bar is no longer straight and smooth.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 7,076 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Have you tried the high-lift scraper bar?  Just kidding! But yea, just like EGO shipping out an alternative blade for their lawn-mowers, it would be nice to see EGO produce an alternative scraper bar. Perhaps a plastic scraper bar with a metal edge to it (like most shovels have) or one made completely of metal?
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 9,494 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
They should be able to easily come up with some design to attach/rivet a metal strip like the shovels have to a new scraper bar.
Photo of TK

TK

• 3,816 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
1st to the 3rd generation of most anything is BETA test to the customer..
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 78,898 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
A secondary design would be good because the original is working great for me.
Photo of Erik

Erik

rcpw.com told me my order for a scraper bar was on back order from EGO 1-2 weeks. There must be a few people going through them ha.
Photo of BRIAN HERTING

BRIAN HERTING

• 60 Points
The EGO scraper bar is crap. My father gets multiple seasons out of his Toro scraper bar. I cannot even get a single season, which is typically less than 6 snowfalls. I paid $600 for the EGO, while my father's Toro was less than $200 used. Premium price should provide premium quality. Please fix this issue, EGO!
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 43,704 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Brian, does the Toro scraper bar scrape against the ground like EGO's does?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 57,656 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If you're not even getting one season out of your scraper bar there's at least some degree of user error going on. This is my first season with the Ego snow blower, and after a slow start to the season it has been snowing every few days here. I've banged the scraper bar into cracks every time I've used it, and after close inspection yesterday the scraper bar has nothing more than a few minor dings. At the rate it's going I might need to replace the scraper every three years or so.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 174,530 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I’m halfway through my second season and though I haven’t checked it recently, my original scraper bar is performing well. I bought a spare with the snowblower last season expecting (due to complaints) that it would need frequent replacement. So far that hasn’t been the case.

I have a paved driveway and about 50’ of city sidewalk to maintain.
Photo of Erik

Erik

I replace mine at least 1-2 times every season. It’s getting old. This forum isn’t the only place I’ve read complaints about the scraper bar not lasting long.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 174,530 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Maybe my driveway is extra smooth? I dunno. If I have time I’ll check mine tonight to see how it’s holding up.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 57,656 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I would think that after a couple of seasons you would know where your expansion joints are and tilt the blower back ever so slightly when you get to them.

I have a couple of big cracks in my driveway that don't catch the scraper bar because they run at an angle to my path with the blower. The only time the scraper catches is on expansion joints, on the driveway as well as the city sidewalk. It didn't take me long to figure out how to anticipate them and slow down a little bit when i get to them. 
Photo of Michael Cortopassi

Michael Cortopassi

• 1,564 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Casters....
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 80,404 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
lol - different strokes for different folks
Group 1 needs a better scapper bar in order to clean down to the surface of their driveway
Group 2 needs casters so the darn scrapper bar will stop catching on cracks and seems
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 7,762 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I commented on this before - the EGO rubber paddles don't even come close to touching the pavement most likely to conserve power so they need a sharp scraper bar to make up for this gap. All the load is on this bar so you get excessive wear and abrupt stops at cracks/seams. 

I wanted to get rid of all my gas lawn/drive care tools but on the snow blower due to poor performance I ended with a gas Toro. The Toro has a scraper bar that pivots allowing it to scrape to the pavement yet allows it to move smoothly over cracks/seams.
Photo of Dennis Mathias

Dennis Mathias

• 340 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I've never had a snow blower that had the paddles contact the surface.  Maybe they make them but these would wear out really quickly.  They've all had scraper bars. 
That said, my biggest complaint about all these snow blowers is hitting cracks in sidewalks.  Sidewalks ought to have diagonal stress relief cracks.  But you can't keep the cracks away.  EGO (or someone) ought to come up with a scraper bar that will glide over the cracks.  The casters might work.  Maybe I'll try that this summer.  Come on EGO, work on this!

Michael Cortopassi

Maybe overkill, here are wheels, rev 2.  Used clevis pins (I cut them down from the picture) and hitch pins and 6" mower wheels.  Easy to remove if needed.  Adjusted height so scraper is 1/8" off ground.  The bigger wheels allowed me to make a hole well away from the belt area.  Slight worry they will make pushing through the snow a little harder but actually the casters were almost as wide.  $15 in parts.

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Interesting.
So do you shovel the snow left behind or do you not need it cleaned to the surface to be satisfied.

And what was your reason for wanting the blower lifted up.
(Edited)

Michael Cortopassi

We have a lot of uneven sidewalk cracks, and without having the wheels, I would be going along snowblowing at a good clip and get hard stopped and jarred every few feet from the scraper catching.  Terrible, to the point I had to do something.  Don't know if there is surface tension, Venturi effect or something but even the previous casters I had lifted the bar the same amount and I don't seem to leave a layer of snow.

Will have to wait for the next show to be sure I didn't raise it too much.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 58,276 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
My sidewalk is in good shape but my driveway has a lot of uneven cracks. This is my first year with the Ego blower, so I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

We've only gotten a dusting of snow so far this year and there's no snow in the forecast for the next week. The waiting game continues.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 7,076 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Yep Ken, my new EGO snow blower is obviously snow repellent. An inch here and there is just teasing me.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Remember if you are itching to use your Ego and not getting much snow, use a shovel to push the snow to one side of the driveway. Then get out your Ego to finish the job on the moderate snow fall you created.  :)
(Edited)
Photo of Dennis Mathias

Dennis Mathias

You shouldn't have to shovel if you have a snow blower.  
If you can make a snow ball with that snow, it will tend to clog the chute.  We're just a little south of you in Nebraska and I've had no problem in this regard.  I have had melted snow that sort of dribbles out the chute but it still moved it and did not clog.  
Photo of Dennis Mathias

Dennis Mathias

I'm going to go with the scrapper bar for this season and see how it does. If it starts looking funky I'll make one out of steel. And sell them.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 7,762 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
When I gave the EGO snow blower a try I tried making a scraper out of sheet metal. It didn't work well because the steel has too much drag against the pavement.
Photo of Dennis Mathias

Dennis Mathias

Yeah I was thinking about that.  Maybe casters then.  But I only want the casters if there's a crack!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 58,216 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I've banged my scraper bar a few times, so I took a good look at it yesterday. It's still fine, with a few very minor dings.

If I have to replace it every two or three years, I'm OK with that. I do like that it gets the snow right down to the concrete.

I might think about adding skids next year, but I don't know that I want to give up how well this blower clears the snow.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 80,178 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I bough a scaper bar after reading some posts hear about it wearing very quickly.
Still in the box.  Blower still working great.  Love the way it cleans down to the pavement.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 175,538 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Me too, my spare is still in the box and I'm halfway through my second season.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 80,178 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
season and a half here too !