Snowblower performance with (2) two 7.5 Ah batteries is phenomenal!!!!

• Praise
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
I just needed to share my experience - check the photos!  I just used my new EGO snowblower along with (2) two of the 7.5 Ah batteries, one of which I've had a year and the other I just got on a warranty exchange a few months ago.  We just got about 3 & 1/2" of super wet snow this morning in the metro-Detroit area, and I was able to do my own home, and family member's down the street, plus the city walk of several of my neighbors.

I threw the batteries on the charger after I got in, and I still had 25%-50% of juice left on both - HOLY FREAK'N CRAP!!!!  Now, I realize that this alone is an $800 USD package, and that's pretty rich for anyone's blood when it comes to a 21" single stage snow thrower, but HOLY FREAK'N CRAP THIS THING PERFORMS!!!!

Now, I'm sure when I'm pushing (throwing) 5"-8" or more, I won't be able to get as much mileage, but seriously - I have no worries at all as far as I'm concerned.  Much to the chagrin of my neighbors, I did their city walks just to push my EGO and see how much juice I'd burn through, so I likely won't be doing as much in a heavy snow situation.  

Anyway,
I can strongly recommend the 7.5 Ah battery kits with the new snow blower for anyone with some serious square footage to do.  It just performed fantastic.  Huge thumbs up!!!

(Note: all area done is in red)...

Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,440 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Wow, great to hear and more than a little jealous! When you get a big snowfall and a huge pile at the end of your driveway, see if you can get some video posted! :-)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,092 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Phenomenal testimony DJDDAY!!! Like Blue, I am "super" jealous because I don't have one yet. Maybe Santa will be kind to me this year, but excited to hear that it's working like a charm.
Photo of johntech

johntech

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I know at the Home Depots around us in Toledo, OH had 10-12 in stock Saturday morning and they were sold out by 4:00 in the afternoon. So you may have to wait a little longer.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Wow. Thats a huge area. I recorded a video today. I will post a link in 2 hours (10 minutes long and crappy internet)
Photo of Julio Villanueva

Julio Villanueva

• 1,860 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Cool. About how many minutes of running time you got? How long did it take you to clear your path?
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

I didn't time it to the second, but I'll estimate that I ran for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, with 25%-50% juice to spare.  For my home alone, it took about 25 minutes to clear.
(Edited)
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

• 4,108 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for that info. I have about 12 houses to clear with a few decent driveways. I hope the combination of a snow pusher and the snow blower with 100ah worth of batteries will get through the night without needing to recharge. Im used to working 48hrs+ during big storms so it's good to hear it holds up!
Photo of Dudedigital

Dudedigital

• 432 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
What speed setting did you use?
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Full on - 100% speed.  I'd like to use it at a slower speed, but I like throwing it far.  That said, today's snowfall was wet and heavy.  If it's the mid-winter powder variety, I may be able to slow the auger down a bit.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

[[UPDATE]]

Just did another 4-5" of super wet/heavy stuff, at night with the LED's on.  Granted, I spent a lot of time clearing out a swath of street in front of my driveway (about 30 minutes on that alone), but I didn't get nearly as much run time on it as I did earlier today.  That said, it was at night with the LED's on, running at 100% speed, on super heavy/wet snow, that I really had to put some muscle into cutting through.  I'd be surprised if I got 45 minutes of run time on my two 7.5 Ah batteries that session!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

45 min is still pretty darn good in heavy snow!
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for sharing your experience DJ. What a great way to show how much area you're covering. Hope this helps people in the future!
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

• 5,422 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
@DJDDay Hey I would like to ask you a private question but there doesnt seem to be any private messaging system on this forum.  Can you send me an e-mail at tiblond25@hotmail.com

Thanks
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

No problem; check your inbox.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Hey you two, this isn't a dating site! Mcklain, that's not DJ's real picture, it's just an avatar. :-D
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@Blue Angel, Champion:

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ah, now that I see in high-def I understand the attraction! :-D
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

Busted :p
Photo of Deleted

Deleted

• 4,108 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
What if that is him? That's messed up eh
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@Spark Lawns - hahah!
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

[[ UPDATE ]] December 17, 2016

SO we just got another 4-5" of semi-heavy/wet stuff last night.  Came out this morning and did the exact same swath of area as illustrated in my original post.

Assorted musings: instead of running the auger at 100% speed, I varied between 30%-50% speed and it threw the snow just fine.  I only brought it up to 100% speed when I needed to throw it really far and at the end of my driveway/sidewalk approach where the city plow had piled up ice chunks. 

Also, it would bog down hard at times with street ice chunks, but recovered quickly.  At no point did I get the "red light" or have it quit on me.

I.  LOVE.  THIS.  SNOW.  BLOWER.  :)
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

Look at the NEW 2 STAGE snow joe and how it bogs down (cut's off it seems)

This is a major problem and have not seen this with the EGO yet!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVVMc9jPcXY
(Edited)
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 10,618 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I bogged ot down and killed my EGO in some hard packed snow the plows left at the neighbors driveway.