Snowblower Overload Flashing Orange and Green Lights

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • In Progress
Absolutely love my snowblower (purchased Oct '16), leaf blower (Nov '17) and mower (May '18) Sun afternoon after using the snow blower for quite a while, I got the overload green and orange flashing light on the blower status light. Didn't see any obstructions or clogged snow, but figured maybe it'd been overworked, let it sit in my garage till this morning (Tues) and now it won't run for more than 10sec, no load or with light passes in snow, before I get the overload flashing lights from the snowblower. The lights on the batteries stay solid green and work without issue in my leaf blower. Of course by the time I got home to try again it was 7pm CST and Customer Service is closed, will have to try again later this week. Hope MN doesn't continue to get dumped on with snow before I can get this fixed!
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 464 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated, hopeful for a smooth fix process

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 80,158 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
I had the same issue.  Some overload protection switch is not functioning properly.
Took it to HD for repair after calling CS.  Ego sent part to my home depot and I had it back and running in about 1 days.  Hopefully you have a competent HD repair department near by to get it repaired.

Call Ego CS first thing when they open and then drop off machine at HD on your way to work if at all possible.

1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).
(Edited)
Photo of Chris

Chris

Good to know, thank you!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 175,538 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
1 days, szwoopp?  That's fast!!! ;-)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 80,158 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
well 0 is nothing so does it matter that I left it off ?

10 days Tuesday drop off Thursday pickup
Photo of Chris

Chris

Spoke with Daniel (CSR), agreed based on trouble shooting with me (assessed belt and all looked good) that it sounds like a bad overload sensor. Headed to the local Depot to get it serviced, definitely appreciate the warranty and help from CS!
Photo of Tae Cooke

Tae Cooke

• 682 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
A random thought I had when reading this in email was perhaps the drive belt is getting old, triggering the warning. But a sensor failure also sounds reasonable. Will have to remember this in 2 years for mine!
Photo of Chris

Chris

Yes, I did check the drive belt and it looks fine so it sounds like the sensor issue. Now I hope it doesn't take too long for service as we aren't quite to spring yet
Photo of Chris

Chris

Guy at my local Depot truck and tools rental said they send all Ego stuff out for service and it "could take a few weeks, maybe more"...
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 79,688 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That stinks.  No reason for that.  My HD guy just called Ego and got the new part sent to him.  Pretty easy repair. few screws and unplug old components and plug in new.  Did you try and convince him to do it himself - any repairman worth his salt should.
Photo of Nells

Nells

• 60 Points
Had the same issue happen to me during my first use of the snow blower.  Everything was going great until the overload condition hit.  After cleaning and bringing it indoors to dry, it only runs for about 5-7 seconds at a time before the flashing orange happens and it shuts off.  I called EGO support and they were quick to assist with sending me a brand new unit.  The only problem is that it could take 10-15 business days which pretty much the end of winter.  Hopefully the replacement works like a charm!

Photo of Alfred

Alfred

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am in Aurora Ontario and had same problem 2 weeks ago when clearing 8" height snow dam end of driveway. Auto cut-off after 5-10 sec even no-load. LED flashing orange. Checked nothing blocking rotator and drive belt is clean and good. Called EGO CS and diagnosed likely the overload sensor problem and need to be replaced. CS sent me to try A1 small Engine, so I took my ST2103 on Feb15. Today called them but surprised that they still haven't look at it yet. Was told they will try to do it today but they also need to order parts after diagnosing the cause. So really don't know when I will get it back and really hope there is no major snow storm  next weeks, especially for an old man with heart problem.
If it is just changing a sensor, think it is better for EGO to send it to me and I can replaced it within 1/2 hour. It is a good machine until this problem, and many units were sold here. At least 5 friends of mine bought it because of my highly recommendation. Not so good service here in Toronto Area.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

You may want to call Ego customer service and give them the info on where your unit is in for repair.  Maybe you can jump start the process from the back end and get Ego to call the shop and offer to send out the replacement part.

Not good that your shop has had it for 10 days and still hasn't looked at it.  My HD looked at mine with in 2 days. 
Photo of Chris

Chris

I feel the same way! I called after a week to my local Depot and was told there is no way for me to contact the service center directly and just have to wait for the Depot tool rental center to call me when they get it back. I then spoke to someone with Ego CS and was told I need to wait 2 weeks (another week from that call) before calling back and then they can connect me with the service repair center if needed to determine the status on the repair. It is now the snowiest February ever in MN and I have been shoveling the past 2 weeks. This doesn't make me love my Ego stuff any less just yet, but certainly leaves me very frustrated that a seemingly simple repair with replacing a wiring harness needs to go through an authorized service center for an estimated 6-8 weekend (worst case scenario I was told be CS) rather then sending it to me directly to replace in a matter of minutes (maybe an hour)!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

For others - You need to insist that the HD service center take care of it them selves and not ship it off.  That is an HD problem with their repair departments.

As yours is already been shipped out try this number for HD repair.

Per Ego CS - the entire process should not take more than 4-6 weeks. If it takes more than four, please give our support team a call (1-855-346-5656).

In the meantime, you can always get real-time updates on your mower's status by calling 1-855-284-3349. This is the number for Home Depot's warranty department, where associates can instantly search for and assist with your case. 

Photo of Chris

Chris

Great info, thanks!
Photo of Chris

Chris

Update for anyone interested: Called CS this morning as it has been 2 weeks since I originally brought the snowblower to the Depot. Was told there that they do not work on them at all and need to ship them out. This was 2/13/19. According to CS, my unit was shipped to the service center in Indianapolis (I live in MN) on Thurs 2/21 and is still in transit as of writing this (Wed 2/26). So the service center still has not received the unit. Seth with CS was very helpful over the phone just now and said he will put an expedited request on the repair, so now I sit and hope the turn around goes quickly. At least I am getting a good workout here in MN where the snow keeps coming!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Thanks for the update Chris
Photo of Alfred

Alfred

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I called A1 this morning and they haven't have time to look at it yet. They said there may be a problem with machine with SN#0011*** because they are getting already some units with same problem. And the Power Module is backlog in EGO.
In the afternoon, I called EGO trying to confirm and was told that: 1. There is no such production fault for the SN0011***. 2. They really have a backlog of some PCB modules. But not all parts in backlog. 3 The Male CS said he knows the electric module may need weeks or months to arrive. I said then I will be blowing flowers instead of snow when the line was cut off.
I called CS again and told a lady(Raquel?) that if A1 is not checking my blower how can they can know if the parts are available? So she called A1 while I was waiting. Then she told me that A1 just looked at my machine and they already ordered the parts. And the parts will arrive A1 in less than 10 days. Requel is really helpful and understand the problem.
Hope in 10 days, I will have my machine back working.
Last 10 days I already had 2 snowstorms and now I have already 4 inches of snow outside my window.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Persistence often pays dividends.
Good on you Alfred !
Photo of Chris

Chris

Update #2 - Got a call/voicemail from the repair center today (3/5/19) stating the technician looked at the unit and could not replicate any issues and it was working fine for them. I called back and explained the issues, that the overload error appears to be the result of a faulty overload sensor/wiring harness and the overload error is seemingly triggering intermittently under no load resulting in a non functional snowblower. They said it would be reviewed again by the technician, so the wait continues...
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 175,348 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Just like taking the car to the dealership and getting the dreaded “Could not replicate the issue” diagnosis. :-(
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 7,762 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Another case showing it's horse poop for these things not being repaired at Home Depot.
Photo of Chris

Chris

Update #3 - Got another voicemail from the service center yesterday, tried to call back and of course they were closed so I just called now first thing this morning, was informed the service tech re-assessed the machine and could again not replicate any issues and it appears to be functioning properly. Service tech wrote in the notes he took the cover off and verified there are not shorts in the wiring and again confirmed for the third time my batteries that I sent with are functioning properly (which was never a question!). So they will be shipping it back to my local depot, either will be shipped today or Monday and I will wait another 1-3 weeks to receive it back. We are now 3+ weeks since I brought my snowblower in for service per the approved warranty claim and will be getting in back with nothing being repaired. I guess there is some solace in that the cover could be taken off and inspected to verify no shorts in the wiring, but other than that, I am having a hard time not viewing this whole repair process as a complete waste of time. Fingers cross that it comes back and I am also not able to replicate the issue!