Snowblower overload condition help

• Problem
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • In Progress
Love the mower and snowblower, until last night.  While clearing plow hump at the end of the driveway, blower stopped.  Blinked fast orange, indicating overload.  Pulled the batteries, tried again.  Blower runs for 5 seconds, then overload light flashes.  Same regardless of 1 or 2 batteries or position of the batteries.  Batteries are fully charged.  This happens under no load, I am not trying to snowblow anything.

Contacted support, found out the hard way I need a receipt for warranty service.  I received this blower from my Dad who is not physically capable anymore, and no receipt.  Was given an option as a one time exception to bring to Home Depot and get it repaired, with the issue being the potential repair time is 6-8 *weeks*  Hard to accept that.

In perusing the site, it seems this is an issue that is reasonably common (not saying a high number!).  I am an EE, and design circuits and PCBs for a living.  I have asked tech support for info on how to directly diagnose and fix the issue (no response yet).  I am hopeful they might consider telling me, yeah, it's usually part "x," here we'll send you one to put on the board.  Or something to that effect.

Vs. possibly waiting for most of snow season to pass without the blower!

Just putting this out there for any customer support people or champions to consider letting me do this.  I hereby waive all rights to my warranty, which apparently is relatively useless without a receipt anyway (my bad for not recognizing that verbiage).

Thanks.
Photo of Michael Cortopassi

Michael Cortopassi

• 1,052 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 37,362 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Your dad was the one who purchased it? Why not have him make the warranty claim? It's still in his name, right? You should be able to get a receipt from HD or even the CC company if one is still needed.
(Edited)

Michael Cortopassi

He's not a guy to register things, or to save receipts.  I registered it under my name, and it registered fine, so I assumed I was good to go.  Thanks.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 37,158 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You can still get a copy of the receipt from HD or wherever he bought it. 
Oh, asking out of ignorance. Did you select the "received as gift" option for the receipt when registering? I've done that a couple of times and have been wondering how it would work if I needed to make a warranty claim.

Michael Cortopassi

It's not clear whether I selected gift or no receipt from my account.  It says "no" in the receipt received field.  I did put down the date I got it from him, and the place as "Relative."  I assume I chose "other" and filled that in.  I just spoke with him.  He believes he bought it in the fall of 2016, which would put me over the assumed 2 years HD keeps receipts.  The warranty also seems to state no transferring of it is possible.

Basically it comes down to I don't have a receipt and I can't get one.  If others have the got as gift selection without receipt, it would seem that might be an issue for them as well.

I'm not looking to paint anything badly here.  I am glad they offered me a one time exception.  I am just worried about giving it to a Home Depot service black hole and not getting it back until snow season is over!  Of course, they could theoretically have it done in a few days as well.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 68,958 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If your repair reaches 4 weeks you should contact Ego CS and they will get involved and expedite the repair process with HD.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 3,312 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

That's surprising that it failed to go through the plowed snow at the end of your driveway.  From reading the other comments, other Ego owners had no problems with heavy wet snow and the snow at the end of their driveways.  Good luck on getting it repaired in a few days.

Michael Cortopassi

It did make it through 90% of it, then gave the problem.  I have been otherwise really impressed with it.  Did the whole drive and 4 neighbor's sidewalks earlier in the day with really heavy snow.
Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 6,142 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Turn down the Variable-Auger-Speed Adjustment on the snowblower...I've found with it set to high in heavier wet snow...it will cause your snowblower to blink yellow rather quickly...ALSO, let the snowblower cool off for a while with the batteries removed
(Edited)

Michael Cortopassi

Any speed caused the issue.  Cooled off overnight, same in the morning, but see the current state below.....

Michael Cortopassi

Update for those interested:

1) Forget about my wanting circuit/board details.  I brought it to Home Depot

2) After speaking with Raquel this morning, it sounded like HD (Randhurst) should have had all my info, the problem, etc.  They had absolutely nothing.

3) I checked the unit before dinner, and got the 5 seconds of run and the flashing orange, multiple times.

4) Just to be sure I checked it after I brought it to HD.  It ran for at least a minute with no issue!  AARGH.  The guy their said their repair guy will look at it in the morning and get back to me.

5) Can someone please explain to me what might be going on?  Did water possibly get in somewhere causing the issue and then dried out?  Am I going to experience the overload the minute I try to snowblow again?  Arrgh.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

When I got my snow blower two years ago, I was snow blowing my driveway and was going kind of fast and the orange light started flashing.  I tried to start it up and it ran for few seconds then stopped.  I did this multiple times.  I called Ego and they told me it overheated and to slow down when going through heavy snow.  I waited a whole day and then try to start it up.  It started up and I didn't have any further problems with it.  Just go slow when you are going through a lot of snow, especially at the end of the driveway.

Michael Cortopassi

Bill, that is almost the exact situation I am having.  A bit more than 24 hours after the first overload, it seems to have cleared itself.  If there is a known amount of time one needs to wait for something to clear the overload, that would be a good piece of information from Ego, because I spent a damn good portion of my day yesterday dealing with this!  Thanks.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

Good luck!!!

Michael Cortopassi

Well..... upon trying it again this afternoon before taking it home, the overload condition is back.  HD needs to try to fix it.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

What size batteries are you using?  When I first bought my snow blower, I was using 5ah batteries and I had your problem in heavy snow.  The following year I used two 7.5 batteries (more torque & running time) and never had the problem again.  Just food for thought!!

Michael Cortopassi

Both are 7.5Ah.  Please understand the unit was a beast this past winter and this past snowfall up until it failed.  It's not like this was an ongoing problem.  Something simply went bad.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

Let's hope they can fix it within a couple of weeks.