snowblower first use of its 2nd season - chute no longer rotating at all

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
Ego snowblower - chute no longer rotating for its 2nd season.
Last season chute had limited rotation, but this season none. 
How to fix?
Photo of Suzanne

Suzanne

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 71,864 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
You might try removing the chute and see if there is some crud that's dried in the round part where it needs to slide. But without knowing where it's hanging up that's just a guess.

Does the problem seem to be down around the chute itself or in the lever up on the handle?
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 94,472 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Have not heard this problem
Make sure it was installed correctly - I know some folks had trouble with this
Check the cable for any kinks.  Make sure it is not pinched in the handle latch.
Just some ideas

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 18,524 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Might be over- tightened causing it to bind. Remove, clean and lubricate before reattaching.
Photo of Suzanne

Suzanne

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the replies. I tried to call EGO but closed due to the winter storm. This has taught us to test our equipment for the season BEFORE a winter storm comes. 

So the lever that is on the handle will only go forward about one inch, and chute rotation results in only two inches. So there is a connection. The chute is stuck facing right and back, toward the operator which made snow blowing pretty unpleasant today with -26 windchill here in Michigan. I think that the chute direction is supposed to be 180 degrees, right - left - - front, not back toward the operator. The blower worked correctly last winter right after we bought it.

I brought the machine back into garage, removed the batteries, and as suggested, removed the 2 bolts in order to remove the chute. All looked clean. Proceeded to remove the 3 screws attaching a plate at the base where the chute goes. Again, all looks clean. Still the rotation lever wouldn't budge more than an inch forward. Using a flashlight to see, my husband spotted a white plastic tab and clip (at about 1 o'clock when facing the machine from the front - between the openings of the rings). His theory is that the problem is originating there. Maybe the rotator is designed with a plastic clip and tab connection to operate the rotating wheel and perhaps that connection popped out of place when the blower was last folded up for storage for the season. The mere fact that the chute is facing in the wrong direction tells us that something has certainly popped out of place. 

We will have to sit tight for now until can get hold of someone at EGO. 

Thanks again.

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 71,864 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
It sounds like the chute got rotated too far around and maybe has jammed something. When you put the chute back on, can you rotate the chute itself around by hand, not using the lever? It might be worth trying (gently), without trying to force it.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 18,524 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
That's how I tested it for proper installation and alignment. As you're rotating the chute manually, watch the lever; it should move forward and backward as if you were using the lever.