Snowblower First Look - WOOT!!!

• Announcement
  • Updated 3 years ago
I've just seen the future!  Well, my future anyway.  Here's a first look at the new, TWIN BATTERY, 56v Ego snowblower!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJPvrJQrLwM

BRING

IT

ON

!!!

P.S.  I'm posting this, but there's no category for the snowblower yet!?!  :-)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
  • Numb with excitement!

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Can I use that on my leaves.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Sure, if you want to put them on your neighbor's roof!  :-)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
So it looks like it holds up to FIFTEEN amp hours of batteries? Anyone remember back when 4Ah was so impressive just two years ago?

I definitely see some commonality with the 21" self-propelled mower... wonder if we'll see a 2XL version of that sometime in the future? How much do you think a 2XL 21" self-propelled mower kit with two 7.5Ah batteries and a dual-dock rapid charger would retail for?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Stop it David!  I'm having trouble saving up for the snowblower that hasn't even hit the market yet!!!  :-)

Man... this must be what it's like to be waiting for a Model 3.  Except this one WILL be in my driveway this fall!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

And TIA has a video too, this one with better sound and a look at the competing models.  Definitely a gas single stage as well as the Greenworks 80V 20" snowblower in the background.  The gas model is choking pretty bad, and the Greenworks is, well, working I guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjcRxwRYYZA
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

That gas one is annoyingly loud. I don't really think it's an even comparison with like sized and probably priced snow blowers. That being said, the EGO is in a league of its own right now. I love how it looks and hums a steady sound, never bogs down.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Yeah, in that particular test it is clearly performing better than the gas unit.

The Greenworks 80v is not up to it.

I like how the lights are mounted too. So many snow blowers have the lights up on the handle so you get a great look at the back of the machine instead of the snow you're trying to clear. Three LEDs on each side look promisingly bright!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

But, but the Greenworks is so small and cute.  Ok, that doesn't cut it.  Maybe for a Zootopia character, but not for a snow blower.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Regarding size, it's a little tough to gauge how big it is. I only have a small space to put it, so standing it on end might be the only solution.

Very happy to see it has a steel frame. The existing cordless blowers are all plastic and feel like toys, not able to take any real abuse. These are in another category altogether compared to the durability requirements of a lawn mower. Any plastic has to be tough enough to take a good hit, as well as constant stress from being shoved into icy snow banks, and do it at very low temperatures where many plastics become brittle.
Photo of DavidH

DavidH

• 1,814 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Overall the unit looks very powerful, I have a little nervousness about the "light weight" looking wheels at the back, Do you think they can be up to the job in deeper snow?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Assuming the machine is clearing the way, I would think the wheels are ok. Many of the electric snow blowers available have much smaller looking wheels than this Ego:

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I'm in.  Since seeing this, I'm sold.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

You have too much time I your hands!!! :-)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Yeah, so my wife says  :(.  If I put that much creative energy on my yard, it would be a show stopper.  

Instead, I just let the weeds fight it out with the Centipede.  It's an interesting battle for which the Centipede wins by the middle of summer.  
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Blue!  You stole our thunder again!  We were going to post this too!  You're too quick for us sometimes. :)

Official Response
We now have a Power+ Snow Blower category as well. 
Photo of Glen

Glen

• 2,136 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Wow, that's a cool snow blower! As I watched the video this morning, my wife looked over my shoulder and said, "That's awesome but thank god it doesn't snow here!" LOL.
Nice but I'm glad I have no need for it :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 64,900 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Holy cow. That thing is just silly powerful. I cant believe how its destroying the competition
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Based on that test it certainly does!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Those little wheels though. They always get wedged up with snow. It makes it hard to push the units. Kind of impressed with the power, but wish they made one more in competition with the bigger ones, like a 26" full sized snowblower.
Photo of DavidH

DavidH

I had the same concerns about the wheels
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

26"?  I'm gonna be hard pressed to store this 21" unit!  I'm garage space challenged!  :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

So. Dual batteries. Is it one motor with 2 pairs of windings, or 2 motors with syncronizing controllers or one motor, one controller that pulls from both batteries. I NEED TO TAKE ONE APART!!!!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Based on the Workshop Addict video, it sounds like you can use one battery or two, and when using two batteries the load is shared between the two batteries.  So I'm guessing one motor with some sort of intelligent controller that is able to adjust how much it draws from each battery?

What ever the deal is, it sure looks impressive!
Photo of Troy Hough

Troy Hough

• 2,002 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Dual batteries.... OH HELL YES!!!!
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It's not available yet, but just noticed the snow blower now appears on the Home Depot website:

56-Volt Lithium-Ion 21 in. Single Stage Snow Blower 2*5.0Ah Kit
http://thd.co/1TaLkfZ
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,440 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Pulled.  No longer listed.  :(

It will be back up later this year.  It was erroneously posted on homedepot.com when David posted this.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
In another thread on this forum, Jennifer mentioned there would be a presale on the blower "early this month." I would take that to mean we'll see the blower listed again later this week or sometime next week.

It's going to be in the mid-90s this week where I live, so I'm having a hard time getting my head around preordering a snow blower, but I do plan to order it before the first flakes fall this winter. The Snow Joe I bought last year as a stopgap was OK, not great, and I think that was largely because we didn't have many big snowstorms last winter.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Wonder how well it mulches? :)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Hardy har har.
Photo of DavidH

DavidH

In my experience, when it comes to snow blowers I always worry about traction, wheels and drive. Any thoughts on what seem to be small wheels?
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

I think that EGO has done enough field research and R&D to conclude that the size they chose works great with their thrower.  Guess we'll have to wait and see how it performs - when I get one!  :)
Photo of Brad Christie

Brad Christie

• 2,568 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I saw that as well and was VERY surprised. Especially because of how (presumably) light it is.

Being a New Englander, even with the 'ol Briggs and Stratton you needed to chain the wheels to have any hope of getting through the end of your driveway after the plow came by. I'm all for electric stuff, but my concern is a few fold on this one:

1. Short height of input (I worry about not clearing the massive snow bank the plows leave for us in the middle of the day.).
2. Tiny wheels (as mentioned, we had big rubber wheels we used to deflate and still not go anywhere. We then chained them and got better, but EGO's wheels worry me--especially a couple of storms in where things become a sheet of ice and you need to "help" to run through the dense stuff at the end of your driveway).
3. Very crisp/cold weather (not as much a concern, but batteries do perform notoriously poorly in cold and a snow blower won't ever see a warm day).
4. We just got a husqvarna last year. (okay, so not really a knock on EGO, but certainly not going to get rid of my heated handles, power  independent steering, lights, adjustable everything, etc. ;)

Would be interested in seeing a video of them performing that test through the wet sawdust after it's been compacted (and not spread evenly). The guy was funny using only one hand, but I want to see him go through the end of my driveway after being dumped on for 8+ hours and plows coming by 2-3 times (you know, where having a snow blower actually matters and is worth its weight in gold.) ;-)
(Edited)
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

I think it bears mentioning that EGO's snow thrower is likely designed for snow up to 6"-8" max.  This is the typical capacity of a single-stage thrower of this design, so I would not expect it to perform any better.  Expecting to clear large snow drifts or slushy road piles from the plows is not what this (nor any gas designed thrower of this class) is designed for.  That said, it's got a steel body, so we may have just as much luck as we do with our gas-counterparts when charging full steam ahead into the end of your driveway where it meets the street after the city has ruined our day.

Regarding the batteries - they are to be kept stored/charged at room temperature, or at least above freezing.  When you take it outside and begin using your OPE, the amp draw keeps the cells warm enough to operate in sub-freezing temps (or so the theory goes).

Guess we'll have to wait and see how it works in the real world.  That said, the wheel size is the least of my concerns.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Brad, after using a SnoJoe a few times last year, which is woefully tiny and likely very underpowered compared to Ego's blower:

1. It was light enough that you can actually drive it up on the snow, allowing it to take the plow pile down in multiple layers of necessary.

2. My opinion is that the wheels on a push snow blower do nothing more than keep the back of the unit from dragging on the ground. The SnoJoe wheels look much smaller than those on Ego's unit and they didn't cause any issues. Maybe Ego will release a self-propelled snow blower in the future and then we can worry about the wheels. :-)

3. As DJ mentions, as long as the batteries aren't frozen when you start using them they should stay warm. They are also located inside a sealed chamber like the mower, so they shouldn't cool down too fast even if they're sitting idle in the tool for some time outdoors.

4. Can't help you there! :-)

I too am curious how the Ego will fare at the end of the driveway. The SnoJoe certainly didn't set any records, didn't throw snow very far and choked several times when being pushed into that pile, but it actually did better than I thought it would. I used it during our record snowfall day here in Ottawa back in February (over 20" in one day), once about 2/3 through the storm and again at the end, and I was certainly better of with that cheap cheesy plastic toy than I was with just a shovel!

I would think the three biggest questions are (for me anyway) how much power does it have, how far will it throw snow, and how long or how much snow will it throw on a given battery capacity? We'll have to wait and see, but it certainly looks promising based on my time with the SnoJoe.