Snow blower weight 5Ah vs. 7Ah?

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
I want to buy the Ego 56-Volt Lithium-Ion snow blower for my elderly father of 60+ years. He has a 4-car driveway.

Obviously 7Ah batteries are much heavier than 5Ah but would the 2 smaller batteries be noticeably easier to push and maneuver for an elderly person? If not, I’d prefer to have the extra run time but not at the cost of easier use. Thx
Photo of Mooie

Mooie

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Aaron P.

Aaron P.

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Go with the 2 X 7.5 the extra run time is totally worth the slight amount of extra weight, especially for a 4 car drive.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 13,166 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Mooie, 60+ isn't elderly unless he's in poor physical shape. I'm almost 70 and can work circles around guys half my age. The additional weight of the 7.5 Ah batteries is insignificant and may even serve a purpose of gi to ing the snowblower better scraping.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,394 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Agreed.  I think any extra weight is going to be insignificant as far as resistance goes.  The potential for better scraping as well as the 50% improved run time will more than make up for any drawbacks.

OK, so I had to look it up:

https://egopowerplus.com/media/productattach/1/4/14-1030_ego_battery_manual_na_v1_online.pdf

The 7.5Ah weighs 6.31 lbs and the 5Ah weighs 4.87 lbs.  So the difference in weight with two batteries on board will only be 2.88 lbs.  I doubt you could tell the difference.  :-)
Photo of Mooie

Mooie

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
My dad isn't in the best of shape but i do appreciate your comments, 7.5Ah it is. I plan on getting the ego Power Inverter too so the 7.5 will be of more benefit to him.
Photo of Brock sherwood

Brock sherwood

• 610 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have the snowblower with 2 of the 5AH batteries. I get anywhere from 30-45 minutes of use depending on how taxed the snowblower is with the light (45 min) or heavy (30-40 min) or slushy (30 min) snow. I’m On a corner lot and I can do the driveway (3 car garage) and 1/3 of the street from one neighbor to the other neighbor around the corner with 2 batteries fully charged. Can’t get anymore done then that though unless it’s really fluffy snow. On a side note the snow blower runs on 1 battery so if I didn’t quite finish or want to help a neighbor out I can re-charge 1 battery in 40 minutes and do some finishing touches. Not quite as powerful on 1 battery but haven’t had any trouble finishing on a single battery. Always recommend using 2 batteries at first. 1 battery by itself lasts less then half the time of 2 together. Also reccomend charging the batteries indoors in a warmer environment. Batteries operate/charge better when at normal temperatures.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 89,460 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Nice report and suggestions Brock.  Thanks