Snow Blower underperformed

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Just used the snow blower for the first time this morning.  I had an itch to use it so I tried it on 2-3 in of slightly wet snow.  It managed fine when I split my driveway down the middle and went side to side and shot snow forward.  But when I went long ways I just found it pushing snow.  Batteries were charged, and still read green when I was finished. I tried slowing my pace.   Anything I might be doing wrong?  Should I have sprayed the inside with lubricante prior to use?
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

• 1,272 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,182 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
The Ego snow blower works great with light and somewhat heavy snow.  For last two years, I have experience the same problem as you with wet snow.  Even gasoline single stage snow blowers have a rough time with wet snow.  Because we have a lot of wet snow in upstate New York (Lake Ontario lake effect) I also have a 26 inch HD Cub Cadet 3 stage blower.  That is kind of an overkill, but I (72 years old) have a long three car garage driveway that slopes downward.  You might want to spray some silicone on the inside of your chute to make it easier for the snow to exit out of the chute.   If you don't get a lot of wet snow, you should be fine with your Ego snow blower.  Good Luck
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

• 1,242 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
It pushed snow my first time down the driveway.  I'm going to try some lubricante.  
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 89,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I think you will get better performance and longer throwing distance when the chute it directed forward as it is a direct route with no turns for the discharge.  The more your turn it the less distance you will get.  I think the same applies to wet snow - it chutes much better when discharging straight forward.  I think this corresponds to your side to sie and long ways pattern.

Also, are you sure your chute did not clog with the wet snow ?
I have never had it just push the snow.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 8,514 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. I think in part, this is just the problem of a typical single stage snow blower versus two-stage. An impeller would be handing in this situation. I found with the EGO, I actually have better luck throwing the snow when it's in the 3 to 6 range versus the less than 3 inch range.
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

maybe you're right that I needed more snow.  I shoveled a few spots and It would have been much easier to just shovel this time.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 8,514 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I was disappointed with my first use of the snow blower. Perhaps, our expectations were set too high. Regardless of how much torque an electric snow blower has...a single stage just isn't going to compete with a two-stage. I had better luck with 5-6 inches of "regular snow" on my second use of  the EGO that calmed my fears and eased my buyer's remorse.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 89,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yes when ther is only an inch or two, I generally shovel the snow from the center of the driveway toward the sides and then blow the resulting deeper piles with the Ego.  Thus saving me the the lifting part of shoveling.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
^This
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 12,502 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Matthew, mine worked equally well on 10-15" of fluffy to semi-wet snow with the chute directed in any direction. I did spray both the augers and chute with spray silicone first. Also set the sugar speed to high.
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

Mine was set on High.  Ill try silicone.
Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 7,186 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Make sure the chute is clear...wet snow seems to plug it...a rapid push of the unit into the snow helps
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 12,502 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Never put your hands into the chute to clear a clog; use a stick or a tool made for the chore. MTD Genuine Parts Accessories Snow Thrower Chute Clearing Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001LUPC3S/...
Photo of Tae Cooke

Tae Cooke

• 1,226 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
As others have said, 3 inches seems to be the minimum for reasonable throwing power. I used mine three times in 12 hours to remove 4,4and 6 inches with no issues. Some leftovers on that last one failed to throw well as they were too little.
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

• 1,132 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Maybe I was too eager to try it out lol.  Haven't had hardly any snow in Ohio thus far.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 88,958 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We have all been there - that is why we know all about it
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

Reporting back after that winter storm hit this past weekend. I will take back my initial concern.  The ego had no issue in up to 12" of snow.  Awesome product!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 89,460 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the update Matthew.  Glad you enjoyed it and it met your expectations. 
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 8,474 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Yep, the performance of most snow blowers seem highly reliant on the snow quality. The EGO seems to do consistently well with "normal snow" of 2 to 12 inches. Performance seems to vary greatly if the snow is wet snow and/or under 2 inches. Just my observation.