snow blower snow throwing capability

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
We have the snow blower with two 5.0 AH batteries.  It does a great job of clearing the snow but doesn't throw the snow more than 3 feet resulting in having to go over snow you've already blown. We have moved the snow chute in all directions, have fully charged batteries, and consistently clear the chute as we are using.  Help!   This is definitely not anywhere near a 35ft throwing capacity.
Photo of M

M

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
How deep is the snow you're blowing? If it's not a minimum 3-4" deep there won't be enough snow for the machine to work properly.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Not true blue buddy Ole pal. I've blown 1" and it launched it just fine. Just have to increase your walking pace a bit.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Right... what I should have said was you need to keep a minimum "feed rate" going, so walking faster is a solution for less snow depth, or something like that. Actually, you said it better! :-)
Photo of M

M

5-6 inches of snow plus have the "throttle up all the way
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

That isn't right. Very weird. Is the chute pitch adjustment all the way down? If so you need to pull the green trigger where the snow comes out and point it towards the sky more
Photo of M

M

Thanks will try pointing it more to the sky when the next snow storm occurs.  The wind was blowing and we were trying to keep blowing snow out of our faces.

Im just at a loss from what I've seen on the EGO videos and contrast it with the snow basically dribbling out 3ft away.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Your blower has a throttle issue I would say. It's not able to spin up to the correct rpm. Mine threw water slush over 25 feet. So. You should have no problem clearing 25 to 35 feet.
Photo of Clint Angus

Clint Angus

• 328 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This has been my problem from the very first time I used the Ego Snowblower. It throws the snow just 7 to 10 feet and I have tried it at different depth levels of snow, tried walking fast and slow, tried raising and lowering the throttle, tried various angles of the chute, tried it with dry power and wet heavy snow, tried it in conditions of strong winds and no wind at all. I just cannot get it to throw the snow more than 10 feet. Help!  
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Absolutely. If the chute is angled so the snow is directed more horizontal (parallel to the ground) it will definitely cut down on the throwing distance.

A good analogy would be throwing a baseball; if you want to get it as far as possible you need to throw it with some loft. Throwing it just as fast but level with the ground doesn't get it as far.

The other thing to consider is, when the chute is pointed more down it takes a lot of energy out of the moving snow to change its direction. The snowblower naturally wants to throw the snow up and forward, so the lower you throw it the less velocity it has coming out of the chute. Same goes for aiming the chute left or right, but to a lesser degree.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Sorry Clint, I misread your post!!! I though you said "This may have been", woops! :-(