Snow Blower Praise

• Praise
  • Updated 1 month ago
On Sunday, December 9, 2018, in North Carolina we received 14" of snow. I was not sure my 3-year-old Snow Blower could handle it, as the snow was as tall as the blower. Thank goodness I did not need the headlights. The areas to be blown were: a flat north-facing tarmac 28' x 38' (part of it) and a 6% grade driveway 14' x 205' (all of it). At 75 years old, I was not sure I could do it, but I gave it a go.

The first swath I made was difficult (almost 38'). I pushed the blower about 6 inches, pulled it back, pushed another 6", pulled it back, pushed another 6", etc. etc. etc. to the end. Next, I pulled the blower to the beginning, and was able to nip 5" off the right side of the swath without stopping. I pulled it back and took off another 5". I continued this process until the swath was wide enough for me to turn around and go in the opposite direction nipping off another 5" back to the beginning. While I had to walk farther (good exercise) using this process, I could blow the snow without stopping. After a short rest, I did the same procedure going up the driveway. Since the blower is NOT self-propelled, I had to drag the blower back up each time. In this way, I used gravity while nipping off 5 inches on each course.

I LOVE my EGO Snow Blower.  It performs admirably. Kudos! ! ! The only thing better would be a Self-Propelled Snow Blower. Fingers crossed.

Photo of J. G.

J. G.

• 1,664 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • grateful.

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 3,752 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

So at 75 years old, you snow blown 14 inches of snow on a 205 ft by 14ft driveway which has a 6% grade with the Ego snow blower.  What kind of vitamins do you use.....lol.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 166,550 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Awesome praise, J.G.! Thanks for sharing!

Also, I hope you don’t mind, but I enlarged a section of your picture where your Ego snowblower is so we can see the scale a bit better:

That’s some pretty deep snow for sure. Is that snow on top, or some kind of cover you’re using on the snowblower?

BTW, your “smash the first pass then nip 5” at a time” method is exactly how I do it when blowing deep snow. The deeper it is, the smaller the bite each pass. Works great! :-)
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 2,360 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Where in NC are you; I'm in Winston-Salem. We got 10-15" and my brand new EGO took it all in stride in one pass. I'm 69 in great shape playing competitive table tennis up to 15 hours per week in 3 days. Always played some sport my entire life. I did my driveway one day, then my neighbor's the next when it got a bit wetter, but didn't diminish performance a bit; actually blew further with extra weight. The spray silicone I used on the paddle sand chute made the difference.
Photo of J. G.

J. G.

Bill Menzel - Cute, but NO vitamins. Instead, I eat almost no processed food, I eat and/or cook and eat primarily fresh whole foods. I stay physically active, learn new things which will create new brain synapses, get 8-10 hours of sleep every night, have a positive attitude, and am kind to everyone.

Blue Angel, Champion - You have a good eye. It is a towel with which I cleaned off the battery compartment before removing the batteries for recharging while I rested. Since there were still some flurries, I left it on top to catch any accumulation. Thanks for your kinds comments.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 3,752 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

J.G,

You are quite a guy.  I was only kidding you.  I am 72 years old and can still bench press 200 lbs. I am 196 lbs. and everyday I lift weights (different body parts) and go on the treadmill.  I worked out my whole life and was active with sports while I was a detective on the Los Angeles Police Department.  What I am trying to say is that what you did was amazing.  I don't think I could handle that.  Good luck with your great health.  You are doing all the right things.
Photo of J. G.

J. G.

Bill Menzel - You are so funny! I spent the first 64 years of my life in the L.A. area, but would not have had occasion to meet you, at least not professionally. I understand why you think you could not handle a little 14-inch snow, but believe me you could - no problem. Happy Holidays and a Joyful New Year!
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 3,642 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
J.G.

Maybe, we did meet in L.A. and didn't know it.  I moved there from NY in 1972.  While I was on the police department, we lived in the city of Cypress in Orange County.  We moved back to my home town (Camillus, NY) six years ago.  I guess I couldn't wait for those wonderful winters.  Happy Holidays to you and your family and always stay in shape.
Photo of J. G.

J. G.

William E. Hanson - I am between 5 and 15 miles due west of you, depending on where you are in Winston-Salem. It is good to know I am not the only one in our area who has an EGO Snow Blower and likes it as well as I do. I am really looking forward to our next snowstorm. Happy Holidays and a Joyful New Year!

William E Hanson

I'm off S. Peace Haven near US421; our location has mysteriously shielded us from power outages in the 14 years here. Too bad snow still falls here, but our EGO makes it bearable. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Photo of J. G.

J. G.

William E. Hanson - Well neighbor, you are about 5 miles east. Are you happy with the new bridge? Frankly, I miss the trees that were there. Let's hope your mysterious shield does not fail you in future. Hummm, 14 years - in your current location? or did you come from elsewhere? Happy Holidays to one and all!

William E Hanson

J.G. we've lived in W-S since 1979 when I joined RJR; we had lived at 3 locations all off of Peace Haven Rd. That new 421 interchange is long overdue and looking forward to its completion. Yeah, many trees fell for progress and hope DOT will plant new ones. We moved to current location after I took a very early retirement; downsized and loving it. Merry Christmas to you.
Photo of J. G.

J. G.

Bill Menzel - Nope, we did not meet under any conditions. My family was at the San Gabriel Mountain foothills, in Altadena in 1972. I never thought I would own a Snow Blower, but hallelujah, I moved to where it snows, and then the EGO Snow Blower came on the scene. Our 14" snow is gone now, but I am hoping for more. Snow is fun! Happy Holidays to one and all!