Very Happy with Snow Blower

• Praise
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • (Edited)
Just had the chance to use my snow blower with 7.5AH batteries.  Had about 2-3 inches of wet heavy snow and had pretty much no problems.  At one point the shoot got clogged with wet snow but other than that no problems.  Very happy with the blower.  I have about 2000sqft of driveway and when I put them on the charger I had 25% power left in each battery.
Photo of Eric Kassebaum

Eric Kassebaum

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 33,084 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the update - with (2) 7.5 Ah batteries, I bet that snow blower "hum" like a lean mean machine :-)

I had about 3" of wet snow today in Chicago, and wish I had the EGO.  Instead, my son and I shovel it - the old fashion way - by hand.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 166,430 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Eric! The feedback is starting to come in! :-)
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,728 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Eric, thanks for sharing your feedback with us!
Photo of Jonathan

Jonathan

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Wondering if 7.5 battery makes a difference over the 5.0 batteries? I assume if they are fully charged they should be the same as far as power and such? 
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 53,532 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This is my first season with the snow blower and we haven't had a flake yet, so I don't have first-hand experience. But from what I've read here, that is correct. The 7.5 Ah batteries will give you longer run time, but the 5 Ah batteries will run the snow blower just fine.
Photo of Tae Cooke

Tae Cooke

• 476 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I wanted to get the 7.5Ah kit, but it was special order only and I needed the snowblower ASAP! The day after I got it, had to blow a good 10 inches of snow from the 2-car driveway (5 cars long or so) and deal with 15 or so inches of plow nasty. Batteries only lasted for half the drive and the plow bits. Besides this first very heavy use, the 5Ah kit has been sufficient for my needs. It's easily cleared 6 inches of snow and the thinner plow stuff without giving out.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 70,794 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Good to hear Tae.  Glad you are getting good results.  I have the same setup and similar results and satisfaction.
Photo of Jonathan

Jonathan

Thanks for your insight, Ken. I agree that they should provide longer run time. I've read comments here stating that the larger batteries give more torque and power than the regular 5.0 batteries and wanted to get a confirm on that. My guess is that if both sets of batteries are fully charged, any power difference shouldn't be noticed.

I am in the market for a snow blower this winter and am trying to decide between the 5.0 and the 7.5 battery packages. I am already fully bought into EGOs eco system and already have two of the 5.0 batteries. But if 7.5 would provide more power or torque, I'm willing to grab the larger battery package.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

It's always better to have more power! I think the main concern is using the smallest batteries, the 2.5 Ah.

I haven't yet puled the trigger on getting a 7.5Ah battery. Maybe someone else with experience with the snow blower can chime in.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 5,782 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I'm still waiting for our first real snowfall, but I recently bought the 5.0Ah over the 7.5Ah. If you have a normal size residential driveway (I could fit 9 cars on mine), from what I've read the 5Ah should do just fine. For a single stage snow blower, I'm not sure added torque (if indeed there is more with the 7.5) is really going to make that a difference in clearing the snow from the driveway (although it may have better clearing distance). If that was the case, we would all be buying an all-electric corded snow blower capable of 120V and 15 Amps. The EGO snow blower is likely limited more by its design than its power.

In the end, I decided to save $200 and use that money for the occasional 1 footer winter storms where I'd rather hire someone for snow removal because a single stage isn't going to cut it. Now if you have a long driveway or have a need for those 7.5Ah batteries for other uses...the 7.5Ah no doubt is a better choice.
Photo of Jonathan

Jonathan

Wanted to report back hoping it will help anyone else. I ended up buying the two 5.0 battery package snow blower a month ago. We had a semi-real snowfall last night here in MN last night and it actually started raining all morning. This made the 2-3 inches of snow pretty heavy and compact. I thought it would be a good test to see how the blower does in this condition and decided to test it out. 

My batteries were fully charged and I had no problem finishing my circular driveway. It threw the slushy snow a good distance. I would guess good 20+ feet on high torque setting. 

In the end, my batteries had about a block left in the battery charge indicator and did not notice any sluggish performance before finishing. 

I think this one will do just fine in most cases.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 70,794 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Glad to hear things worked well for you Jonathan.  Enjoy your new tool
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I'm still waiting to try mine. Here in Iowa we're getting the same storm you did, Jonathan, except it's all rain. It's supposed to be in the mid-50s here today, although gloomy, so I can't complain. But now that I have Ego's snow blower it feels like it may never snow here again. :(
Photo of Jonathan

Jonathan

Ken, which unit did you end up purchasing? 5.0 or the 7.5? 
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 8,888 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I’m in MN also. Went to use mine this morning after the driveway started my neighbors and overload yellow light keeps flashing. Tried it again after 5 min would run and as soon as it hit any snow the overload light came on.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

I'm in southeast South Dakota. Snow is 3 to 4 inches, heavy, wet. Somewhat concerned that I could only get 3/4th of the driveway (can fit 9 cars) completed before the 5.0Ah batteries went red. Not sure why Jonathan had a better experience than me in battery time. Luckily I had a single 7.5Ah battery ready to go so I could finish the driveway. I am happy to report that although there is a lack of self-propelled, pushing wasn't too difficult. It took a little bit of muscle work but it wasn't too much more than my two-stage self-propelled which also took the occasional "lean-in" to get through packed snow. Also, I only had one time where I needed to clear the chute of snow so I'm generally pleased given the snow type.

What I'm extremely disappointed in the the design of the scraper bar. Every little crack was an abrupt stop. EGO really needs to improve the design of the scraper bar and auger housing...and put some adjustable skid shoes on this snow blower.

A few more inches of drier snow expected tonight, so I'll be curious how this snow blower does tomorrow. Right now, I'm thinking this thing is better than a shovel, equal to a single stage gas blower, but will never replace the need of a two-stage snow blower for those that have found they needed a two-stage in the past.   
(Edited)
Photo of Jonathan

Jonathan

I wonder if your driveway area is larger than mine, Bryan. One other thing is that for most of the time I set the torque setting on low because I didn't want to throw too much of the snow into my neighbour's yard. I wonder if this may have resulted in longer battery experience. 
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

My driveway may be a little larger, but it's a typical three-car garage/driveway in a typical residential neighborhood. I don't live on an acreage or anything like that. I did have to have the torque setting on high the whole time though. Even then...at most the snow only flew about 10-15 feet at most. Can't say I'd give this snow blower any more than 4 out of 5 stars. I like it, but I think it's somewhat limited due to the single-stage design. I plan to keep it, but I do fear that in a few years I'm likely to buy something else. 
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 3,652 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Bryan,
I having been using the Ego snow blower for the last two years.  It is good in most conditions.  I live in Upstate New York where we get a lot of snow because of the lake effect from lake Ontario.  Because of all the heavy and wet snow, I bought a 28 inch three stage Cub Cadet self-propelled snow blower that goes through any type of snow.  I have a large three car garage (approx 870 sq ft) and a long sloping driveway.  Also, I am 72 years old (good shape) and want to make snow blowing a lot easier.  I do think that the Ego is as good as most gasoline single stage snow blowers.