Snow Blower Battery praise

• Praise
  • Updated 1 year ago
Had 6 or 7 inches of snow this morning in Minnesota. I haven't been recharging the batteries to see how long they will last (it's awhile). The blower died after couple of driveway passes. Took them out, re-charged one battery for 20 minutes. Went back outside, with only one battery in place, and finished my entire driveway and front stoop. 
Photo of David Hruby

David Hruby

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • pleased as punch

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 94,942 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Thanks for the info on the battery life.  Always good to get actual results.  (FYI - it is reccomended to run the blower with 2 batteries - less stress on the batteries.  I know you were just testing, but wanted to make sure you were aware)  
Photo of John Olander

John Olander

• 60 Points
I had about 4-5 inches from the same storm and the blower handled it well.  I did notice tears in the rubber of the auger is this common and should it be repaired?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 94,840 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Well I would say it depends what you mean by tears.  If the auger is still solid overall with none of the tears anywhere near to going completely thru, then you are probably fine.  If on the other hand the integrity of the auger is in question or some the tears are near completely thru, then you should probably consider a replacement.
I have not noticed any problems or damage on mine.
Photo of Irving Lamansky

Irving Lamansky

• 726 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Hey David, I know what you mean about satisfaction with the batteries.  I am in Inver Grove Heights, MN and we always end up with more snow than is forecast.  My two year old Ego has been handling it all without complaint.  I use two 7.5Ah batteries and today was the first time the machine gave me the red light.  I had finished the double wide driveway and was now burying the machine in snow drifts thrown up by the city plows.  Just chewing away a little at a time for well over an hour.  Even with the light on I was able to finish up with no obvious loss of power.  Great batteries for a great snow blower.

I admit I do abuse the beast a bit.  It complains some when throwing ice and once I ran into a larger chunk of ice and the machine stalled.  That was a little freaky.  All the indicator lights were flashing tell me in effect to back off!  I released the bail, backed out a little and fired it up again.  Continued on our merry way.

That ice jam was two storms ago and it hasn't seemed to effect its efficiency.

Going forward though, I am wondering about lubrication of the cables, maintenance of the belt, the auger rubber and such.  I will look through the manual but Ego, if you have some maintenance tips they would be greatly appreciated.

Photo of Erik

Erik

• 10,206 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
apparently there's not enough lubrication. My wheels squeak like no tomorrow.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
My wheels are squeaking as well. I don’t think there are bearings, just a plastic wheel on a shaft. Going to need some grease I guess.