snow blower batteries

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Answered
Getting a snow blower. Does it run on both batteries or does it use one at a time. With one charger is a second charger needed?
Photo of atcspaul

atcspaul

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
It uses either one or two batteries. If there are two batteries installed it uses both at the same time. Two batteries 4Ah or larger are recommended for maximum performance.

If you don’t think your batteries will get you through the job in one charge, a second charger would surely be helpful.

Batteries and chargers are expensive on their own but reasonable if bought as part of a kit.
Photo of atcspaul

atcspaul

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
thank you! Reason I ask is I have one 5ah battery and it comes with 2. if I only have a little left to plow I can just put the 1 extra fresh one in to finish. Gonna pick up today hopefully. they say it is on the truck
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Yep, you can do that for sure. The snowblower will just operate with less than full power on one battery.

Let us know what you think when you get to use it!
Photo of Kent Barker

Kent Barker

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Will the SNT2100 operate with only the one battery from my eGOlawn mower?.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,276 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Don't fully understand how the machine draws power from 2 batteries and also how using a small battery in a large tool could effect the batteries life due to the large poser demand.

So, my question is do you think it would be better to use just a 7.5 or a 7.5 and a 2.5 in combination.
Brief explanation of the power draw system would be appreciated too.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ego recommends using two 4Ah batteries for max power. Those batteries have two parallel strings of cells each (2P).

The 7.5Ah pack has three strings (3P). In order to get to the 4P recommended by Ego, a 7.5Ah battery needs to be paired with a 2 or 2.5Ah battery (1P).
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,276 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
OK that makes sense.  Just making sure as I sometimes miss something with all the electronics and batteries as I only have a cursory understanding of how they work.

So, there is no "danger" to the 2.5 by being overworked as the blower treats the 2 batteries as 4 strings ?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

If anything the 7.5 would get overworked since it’s cells don’t have the phase change wraps to manage heat like the smaller batteries do.

But I seriously doubt that’s an issue. ;-)
Photo of Slaw

Slaw

• 1,096 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Blue Angel, can you expound upon this? Why don’t the larger batteries have the same thermal protection? I’m not sure if it relates but I just ran the dual bat mower for the first time yesterday with 2 five ah batts and only one overheated. The off thing is that the mower only drew from that particular battery. The other battery was fully charged at the end of the mow and the overheated battery was completely drained....
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 70,260 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
When 2 batteries are used does the system add the current? So, for example, 2 7.5 ah batteries would equal 15 ah available? So, that might be why it's ok to mix or match ah amounts? 7.5 + 2.5 = 10 ah, for example?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Yep, you got it. Ego recommends 8Ah or more.
Photo of Subhojit Roye

Subhojit Roye

• 60 Points
Reading this thread for the first time - but can I infer that it is ok to run the SNT2100 with a single 7.5 ah battery. I already have one for my lawn mower and leaf blower and thought I need now only invest in the SNT2100 to get my snow jobs done.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,472 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
So I assume you want to buy the bare tool (no batteries) and have only one battery. You could do it this way but there would be limitations in how much battery time you have for snow blowing. So this really depends on your length of driveway and how heavy the snow is to whether a single battery would work for you. Somewhere down the road, I think there would be regret that you didn't buy the additional batteries with your snow blower. 

Personally, I think the snow blower with the two 5.0 ah batteries and rapid charger (SNT2102) is a better buy. You're basically getting two batteries (priced individually at $200+ each) and one high-end charger (priced individually at $100) for only $200 above the bare tool.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If you have a 7.5 and a 2.5, using both would be the better option. I agree with Bryan that the kit with batteries is a good value.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,092 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Agree $200 for 2 batteries and a rapid charger is an unbelievable deal !

And although the SNT will operate on 1 battery it is designed for optimal performance with 2 batteries 4.0 or higher.