Side discharge chute won't stay on

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

Just bought the mower, gave it a tough workout on wet long grass and it worked great.  The grass catcher didn't work very well, but I expected that given how my 5.5 hp gas mower would work under the same circumstances.

I found that the side discharge chute will not stay on the mower.  It comes off every time I pivot the mower in a turn.  The bottom of the discharge chute hits the grass/ground and gets disengaged from the back of the mower.  This looks like a design problem, that the chute needs to curve upward more.  Any other ideas on how to keep it on?
Photo of Treborg

Treborg

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,068 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Treborg.  We’re sorry to hear about the issues you are
having with your side discharge chute. Are you placing the lower flange of the
discharge chute into the groove located on the mower before tilting it into the
discharge area at the back of the mower?  From there the bag cover has to
come down to apply the pressure to keep it in.  Perhaps you are just
tension fitting the side discharge chute into the back of the mower without
using the groove.  If the chute is properly fitted into the groove, it
should not come out.  We also have a video that might help you with
installation as well:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9c7y0T8iac

Photo of aj

aj

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The design team needs to re-design the grass discharge chute completely, because its the worst design I have ever seen. The chute keeps falling off on every major bump, and it keeps plugging up every 50 feet and my grass is not high at all. Seriously, that chute makes the entire 500 dollars I spent buying this a waste of money. It only take one rotten apple to make the hole batch bad. In this case, its the chute. I like the mower and the battery, but I cant use the bag all the time, I dont have a place to store my grass clippings. So I use the discharge chute. But that thing is crap. 
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,080 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I dont like the discharge chute either but i just got done mulching 18 inch tall grass. It did such a good jub that i couldn't find any clippings over 1/2 inch. Just don't use the side discharge. Mulch it.
Photo of Jenni

Jenni

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yeah, my discharge chute came off 55 times on my last mow.  VERY tiresome.

Photo of brad

brad

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
one thing I caught in this comment is the wet grass, electric lawnmower? In the manual it says not to use in wet grass. 
Photo of webmastercorey

webmastercorey

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Well you really shouldn't do that with any lawnmower, but it's not just wet grass that it's happening.
Photo of aj

aj

Jennifer... IT DOESNT MATTER if we slip that lip in the groove or not!!!!!  The team needs to re-design that discharge completely,  I fixed my problem, and I literally screwed my discharge in place and have not had a problem with it since   the mower is a great tool and it does a great job, but the side discharge just has to be redesigned PERIOD!!!
Photo of webmastercorey

webmastercorey

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I've had a similar issue. It's a fault in the design. Users press downward on the mower routinely to move and turn. With the back wheel as the fulcrum, one end of the side discharge is pressed downward into the ground and the other up on the bag cover. From there, the simplest jolt from uneven terrain will cause the discharge to come out. The insert needs to be built to go further into the groove. Only solves I could think of might void the warranty. Mulching and bagging are the only alternatives outside of rigging up something yourself.
(Edited)
We bought into a product touted as "3-in-1" (mulching, side-discharging, and bagging) that is actually only "2-in-1" (mulching or bagging) diminishing its value by 33.3% in my opinion.  I am well-within my return-period and am tempted to take advantage of it over this obvious design-flaw-farce that EGO seemingly fails to remedy (they've apparently known about this for over a year).  
(Edited)
Photo of aj

aj

What I did to fix that problem is I literally screwed the side discharge to the lawn mower itself,  and I have not had a problem with it since. I hardly ever use the bag anyway but when i do, I simply unscrew the side discharge to use the bag and then when I am done with the bag, just screw the discharge back on again
I had that same problem of it falling off every 5 minutes or so
While your idea stops it from falling off all the time, it eschews the ability to quickly fold up and stand up - which I use every single time, both for storage and cleaning/sharpening.  It only folds up / stands up with the mulching attachment, not with the side-discharger.  Yes, I could keep screwing/unscrewing, but that's a bit of a chore and requires having the driving-tool handy and not losing the screws while it's off - it would probably also risk voiding the warranty.  

If I'm extremely careful with how far I tilt it back for turns, and don't hit any bumps or go over any curbs (the end of my driveway has a curved ramp up to the grass), then it's not so bad.  Still though, URGH.  
(Edited)

Moto Krome, We’re glad to learn that you may have become an EGO mulching convert, and that you like the rest of your EGO lineup and the EGO battery power. That said, we’re sorry that the side chute was not working for you. We’re available 7 days a week to troubleshoot or answer any questions you have.
Photo of aj

aj

moto   my lawnmower still folds up nice and quick and im able to stand it up every single time  while having my chute  still on so i dont see why your having a problem folding it up, mine works just fine
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,078 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
aj, are you referring to the side discharge chute? If so, it sticks out the back of the mower and holds the flap open. I'm not sure how you can stand it up on its end with the chute in place?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Upside down?
@aj, I don't believe you, unless you've dug a hole in the ground to allow clearance where it's stored.  I fold/stand mine up with the MULCHING piece in there, but the SDC (Side Discharge Chute) sticks out the back-end (as  Blue Angel described), and prohibits it from standing at attention.  
Photo of Scott Middleton

Scott Middleton

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes, the chute stands out the back, it does fall off occasionally.   There could be a better means of attaching it but even if it does fall off then the machine is in mulch mode.

The location in back allows me to mow right along a fence line.

The benefits so far outweigh the inconveniences of this machine.  No dripping fuel or oil, no wrestling with restarting, easy cleaning and easy storing.  The thing falls off, my grass gets mulched till I put it back on.
Really?  I've been removing the mulch-plug for SD'ing (Side Discharging), so when my SDC (Side Discharge Chute) falls out, it's in make a mess everywhere mode. I don't see how the SDC would be very efficient when pre-blocked by the Mulch-Plug, but I'll take your word for it.  
Photo of Scott Middleton

Scott Middleton

You do realize that one can choose a mulch plug, side discharge or the bag before starting to mow?  It is not a remove thing it is a choice.....

Just what is make a mess everywhere mode?  Mulching just puts the cuttings back on the lawn.  Had similar problems with gas mowers only I could not clean them out as easily.
You said when your SDC falls out, you're automatically in mulching mode - the only way that would be true, is if your mulch plug was already in place.  Without the mulch plug in place, it's not in "mulch mode" - it would be in "make a mess everywhere mode", since the plug wouldn't allow the clippings to stay in the cutting zone.  I don't know how to put it anymore simply than that, so ponder it over.    
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

If you put the much plug in, nothing goes through the opening to ever reach the side discharge chute. You would use one or the other, not both.

If the chute falls off while side discharging (without mulch plug) then the cover drops down and will sort of block the grass and force the clippings to drop under the mower. But it definitely wouldn't be finely chopped like when mulching with the plug.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,100 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I can verify davids response because i accidentally mowed without my mulch plug in, and i couldnt really tell it wasnt in. The grass clogged the spot for the plug, but it still mulched.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,794 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
That's funny Jacob because I did the same thing last night.  For a short while the grass came out the back, kind of dribbled from the bottom, but it didn't take long until it just clogged and the mower mulched.  Maybe not optimal, but if you lose your mulching plug I don't think you are out of business.  Just mow  :)
Photo of aj

aj

Plus the side chute is poorly designed  even though i screwed mine on the mower, it will still plug up from time to time. Its because its designed poorly.  And YOU DONT stand it on the chute side down people, you stand it with the chute side up in the air as the book says to do!!!!!
Photo of Scott Middleton

Scott Middleton

Bottom line I purchased the machine to mow grass, the side chute occasionally falls off, the mower still cuts the grass.  When I put the machine up I take out the side chute, mulch plug or take off the bag so the machine still stores vertically and there is no gas or oil dripping all over my floor.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,078 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Teresa Langston

Teresa Langston

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Same experience here. Just bought the machine today and like everything about it so far except this. I made sure I had it seated in the groove and started mowing. Got 4' before it fell out with no tipping or turning on my part. Not sure but it would seem to me a good idea to have some kind of pivot or toggle closure at the top of the side discharge to lock it into place.
Photo of aj

aj

What I did to fix that problem is I literally screwed the side discharge to the lawn mower itself,  and I have not had a problem with it since. I hardly ever use the bag anyway but when i do, I simply unscrew the side discharge to use the bag and then when I am done with the bag, just screw the discharge back on again
I had that same problem of it falling off every 5 minutes or so
Photo of aj

aj

you dont stand it on its end from the chute side you stand it up from the front end. the long handle part goes up so you can grab it easier.  READ THE MANUAL PEOPLE!!!!
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

This is how Ego shows the mower standing, and this is how I store mine:

In that photo, the side discharge chute attaches under the hinged cover at the base of the mower.

Either you are storing your mower upside down, or you have managed to screw your side discharge chute onto the wrong location. Either way, I suggest taking a closer look at the manual.
Photo of Roberto

Roberto

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Side discharge gets clog with clippings.

First time I use the mower, I was able to do my lawn in one
charge, so far I like the mower, only issue I have is with the side discharge,
it gets clog with clippings I had to take it out and stick my hand to clear the
discharge area at least 4-5 times, and my lawn was not high. This is an
expensive mower, least I could expect is it to work as good or better than the Toro
that is replacing. Also it would be nice if it could be self-propelled, having
a lever to engage it when you wanted it, so to save battery life.

Photo of Doug

Doug

• 286 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Same problem here with discharge falling off.  Side discharge is just flat out bad design.   Needs a way of locking chute onto main body of mower.  Top cover laying on chute placed in the groove  just doesn't cut it.  :)

Only happens a couple of times a mow but annoying. 
Photo of aj

aj

Same problem I am having. Its a manufacture design flaw that needs to be corrected immediately!! I bought my ego 2 months ago and love the mower, but I am pissed off with that stupid grass discharge. Keeps falling off plus keeps plugging up after two passes or every 2 minutes. I am SICK of it.  Will the designers learn to put in a side discharge that works. I have a homelite battery lawnmower as well and it has a side discharge built on the side of the deck and it works great and I have no complaints about that. You would think that Ego would be as smart. 
But you liked it so much that you permanently screwed it on, and even store it upside down now.  You should treat your mower nicer.  
Photo of Drew Eastmead

Drew Eastmead

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Small side note - there is definitely an error about this in the operating manual, page 17. Steps 4 and 5 are 100% out of order, and should be swapped.
Photo of Scott Middleton

Scott Middleton

Had that problem also with the side discharge, however once I realized what the problem was I altered my mowing strategies. I like the out the back and to the side discharge, it allows me to cut close to edges without hanging up on a fence or something. I do not mind that it does come out easily given that if it did not it might snag. It is easy to replace.

This is not a gas mower where once it is stopped one gets the dreaded experience of trying to get it started again or having to clear or fix something and getting covered in oil.

Thanks for all of your comments.  We feel that this thread has played itself out and we are now closing this topic.  Those who choose to use the side discharge are aware of the issues associated with it. We thank you for all of the conversation.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Mower side-discharge attachment KEEPS popping out!.

Yes, I carefully watched EGO's video about how to properly install the various attachments, and read the manual cover to cover, but it's a design-flaw and my side-discharge-chute falls out CONSTANTLY, making me very frustrated while trying to use this machine for its intended purpose!  I CAREFULLY line everything up, insert the base of this chute into that little crevice, then "firmly" press it into place, but it's still no good.  

Everytime I turn the mower, I tilt it back onto its rear wheels to pivot, and BAM the side discharge-chute pops out again.  Hit a bump?  What-do-ya-know!  Side Discharge Chute is on the ground once again!  My last mowing required re-installing that darn side-discharge-chute 5 times, having to stop and mess with something that is clearly a major design flaw.  

I'm a side-discharging kind of guy - it's my preferred method of mowing, and this thing really irks me.  Every other mower actually discharges their clippings from the SIDE, not out the back, then out the side, like this EGO does.  I can only imagine how it would void my warranty if I cut a hole in its plastic deck, where most other mower's position their side-dischargers . . .  I want to though, but I'd need to fashion some sort of shield or flap at that point, pretty much re-designing the entire thing.  

At first, I REALLY liked how I could get close to things ambidextrously, on either side of the mower, and I'm putting up with the elongated front not allowing me to get close to things from a forward attack, but this is unacceptable and makes me really consider just fully giving up and returning it!

I can't be the only one having this issue, and being extremely annoyed.  Would cutting a hole in its side void my warranty (of course it would), and if so, will you EGO people please devise a solution and send it to me?  Please?  I really want to remain a loyal fan, but this has got me second-guessing my admiration.  

I thought I paid for a "3-in1" mower, but only mulching and bagging is merely 2-in-1!  I was tricked!  I need to side-discharge!!!
Photo of David Coxson

David Coxson

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Chute deflector is jammed.

After one use the defector chute on my 21" snow blower is jammed. The trigger/handle is locked and the chute is in the most closed position.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.