Side Discharge on LM2102SP Almost Useless?

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
I love my EGO mower and have been using it all summer long with little complaint...but I have to say I'm extremely disappointed in the side discharge chute. After a week's vacation my grass was tall so I decided to use the discharge instead of mulching. To my disappointment, I found the cut (and clumping) very unacceptable. I found that despite the very tall grass...mulching gave better results.

Does the optional high-lift blade improve the side discharge? Anybody else have some tips on how best to improve using the side discharge on this mower?  I'm at least grateful this mower is pretty good at mulching despite the grass being so tall.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 2,482 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 week ago

Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 3,130 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
What mower cutting height were you running at...6 cutting heights between 1-1/2” (41mm) and 4” (107mm). 

How tall was your grass?...Haying height?...:)
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/XC5vuVAMot8/maxresdefault.jpg

Did your cut grass clump similar to the above image?

Photo of Bryan

Bryan

I tried it on 5 and 6 (the two highest settings)...I usually cut in settings 4 and 5. I didn't measure the grass, but 5 inches  to maybe up to 6 inches.  The cut issue probably isn't so much just a function of length but also thickness (we've had 3.5 inches of rain in the past week. 

The grass clumped similar to your picture but less continuous of a line...a pile here and pile there.
Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 3,130 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
My guess is the grass was too high and your ground travel speed was too fast...you were probably having to cut it at the slowest SP setting at one of the higher mowing settings and then probably having to RECUT it at your normal mower setting...:(

How wet was the grass when you did cut?
(Edited)
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

The grass was high and very thick as I said but it only had been 8 days since my previous cut. I thought the speed was reasonable as I wasn't using the SP. I think the side chute just is such a poor design that that there isn't much you can do with it.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 153,486 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Bryan, the side discharge on Ego’s plastic deck mowers is probably their weakest point. This is not the first time we’ve seen someone with unusually long grass use the discharge option and be less than pleased with it. It will work better under normal regular cutting conditions, but complaints of the chute clogging still exist, especially if the grass is slightly damp.

The high lift blade is designed specifically for bagging and discharging applications and should improve the side discharge performance should you decide to try it. Just make sure your grass isn’t too long and/or damp and it should be OK.

For the record, the steel deck mowers have a conventional side discharge chute design and should work just as good as any traditional side discharge mower.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

I might try the high lift blade some day. Yea, I'd love the steel deck but wasn't willing to pay the price.  For now I'm satisfied with this mower with the exception of  the side discharge chute.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 4,490 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I used the back mounted side discharge chute to deal with some very high grass that I had let go too long. (mulching was just clumping up under the deck, even at setting 6) and I have the high lift blade.  It would still clump up and jam the chute if I tried going too fast or at a height setting lower than 6. 

By moving slowly, at height setting 6 and making sure that I was always shooting the grass to the "outside" (so I never ran over it again) I could mow continuously without clogging using the high lift blade, but it wasn't an optimal solution, and I'm sure a "real" side discharge mower would work better in that situation.

On the other hand, bagging works great!  (I typically mulch, and have no problems as long as I actually mow my grass at least once a week....)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 153,486 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Great info!

I’ll second that bagging works very well with these mowers, even with the standard blade.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

Yep, I know bagging is an option...but I really didn't want to deal with the bags afterward. In the end, I just mulched twice over...and will probably follow a third mowing a few days after the first round of mowing.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 11,288 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

Used mine once - went "meh" tossed it aside and haven't seen it now in 2 years.

And I don't care to find it.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 53,792 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
same - except for the used it once part

I've mulched.  I've bagged.  I'm good.