Should the battery be charged fully after each use?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Or can I leave them in a partial charge state?  Will they lose charge over time?
Photo of Phil Chapman

Phil Chapman

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Oleg

Oleg

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Li-Ion batteries are usually recommended to be fully charged upon depletion. Anyhow, I've been charging each of my three batteries fully upon each use and my batteries still hold the charge flawlessly after one year of abuse :D

However, if you're in a rush every once in a while - it's OK to pull the battery off the charger and use it. Shouldn't do any significant harm.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Phil, it's totally up to you.  There is no need to fully charge your battery after each use but it's a nice practice to get into.  That way you'll know your batteries are full for the next round of lawn care.  These batteries will hold their charge for weeks, irregardless of the charge level.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
This is what I think...

It's well-documented that you shouldn't store lithium ion batteries fully charged over long periods of time.

Think about the percentage of time that your battery is fully charged compared to the amount of time that you're using the tool. If you charge your battery fully after each use then you are essentially storing it for most of its existence in a fully charged state.

So unless my batteries are very close to being discharged, under 30%... Then I don't charge my batteries after use.

What is Jennifer pointed out, you can do whatever you like as the batteries are made very well. For me, I'm just very good to my batteries.
Photo of pincoat

pincoat

• 1,002 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
An Ego battery self discharges after 3 months of not being used, so there should be no harm in storing them fully charged.  Technically.  
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I suppose that's 3 months straight of being stored fully charged. I think for longevity the company would probably reduce that if they could. But if they reduced the three months then they would probably have a lot of complaints and questions about batteries possibly being bad... from customers unaware.

But it is a trade-off between convenience and being anal treating your batteries as good as you can. Sometimes as good as you can is too much hassle.

The battery is going to wear out anyway, so make it work for you.

They do have A3 year warranty and eventually you're going to want a new model anyway.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,768 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
"Successful Engineering is the art of a good compromise."

No idea who coined that phrase, but it sums things up nicely when you consider factors like performance, cost and convenience.