Should I go with the self-propelled or push?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
Hello everyone, I'm about to purchase a new ego lawnmower and could use your opinion on going with the self-propelled (SP) or push. I have a small yard, about 1/8 acre, but it does have a fairly significant slope going down to the water. I had decided the SP would be the better option based on a portion of my lawn being sloped, the bigger 7.5 battery included, and the more powerful 1000w of power vs 700w for the push. However, the more I read about the SP, the more I'm hearing of people having issues with the self-propel system going out. Any thoughts on whether it's worth risking it for the mentioned benefits of the SP over the push or would it be better to play it safe and have one less system failure to worry about with the push? I've mowed with the push and it's very light and easy to push but I do like the idea of the added power and run time of the SP. Thanks for the help!
Photo of delanejenkins

delanejenkins

• 368 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Ryan Johnson

Ryan Johnson

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I think you would love it, I don’t even have a slope but then I don’t have room to get behind my mower I just grab self propelled which has variable speeds and go. I would upgrade to the bigger battery it’s worth it.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,112 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Definitely Self-propelled! I have slopes too. and fences that are tight to turn against, one on a slope! So as Ryan said, it is indispensible to get the mower going back up hill when I can't get right behind to push. You only have to engage it when you need it. I've owned two for over three years now and have had zero trouble. Remember folks usually come to a board when they need help, not when they are happily mowing with no problems. 10s of thousands of Egos have been sold and there are just a few complaints here.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 480 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
SP. The big problem with EGO is when something breaks. Home Depot does not fix any products, it sends them out, and that’s where the problem gets worse. My mower came back abused. Take a picture and record serial number when dropping it off.
Photo of John

John

• 842 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Check with your local Ace Hardware.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 4,330 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
You could probably be go with either one because neither are not that heavy but like everyone one else has stated I love my SP. My neighbors say it looks like mowing the yard is so easy for me ( that’s because it is) they say it’s so much of a chore for them ( one of the few that still have gas).
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Definitely the SP; my yard is same size as yours. Flat in front, but steep slope to the back that is sloping. The SP has worked flawlessly for me going on 3rd season. The negative posts are few in comparison to all the good experiences. People with a problem will definitely complain and sometimes blow it out of proportion, while happy ones say nothing going about their business.
Love my EGO self-propelled that I bought last spring (2018). Have used this mower a lot and it worked fantastic! I clean it up after every mow job & have taken good care of the machine. BUT, this summer while mowing my lawn, the self-propel function just quit working. I dread sending it back to EGO to repair after reading all the hassles concerning repairs. Just an FYI. I'm not a complainer type and I would still recommend this mower. 
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Susan, if you can hold out, use until after mowing season before getting it serviced. That way the rush is icer and you'll probably get quicker turn around.