Should I exchange my new 2102 SP for another?

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • In Progress
I just purchased a new 2102SP and used it for the first time over the weekend. After mowing my yard I noticed every pass had a small strip on one side slightly longer than the rest. After reading through the forum I saw a few posts about uneven cutting. A few solutions mentioned were switching to a high lift blade, mowing slower, and using a higher cut setting. So my question is this, should I switch to a high lift blade and try the other possible solutions or just exchange my mower for another since I'm still within my return window? Is this a common issue I'll experience with each mower making it pointless to exchange for another?
Photo of delanejenkins

delanejenkins

• 368 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I'm on my 2nd year with the 2102SP with absolutely no issues of any kind; cuts beautifully. I've bagged in the Spring and mulched during the Summer and Fall with same great results. I operate the SP at lowest speed, which is plenty fast for me. Using the standard blade that remained sharp without sharpening; I check it each time after finishing mowing. My height setting in the Spring is at 4 and Summer at 3. My grass is Kentucky Bluegrass blend; watered 3 days per week with irrigation system. Fertilizer used is Scott's Weed and Feed. Yard is full sun to mostly shady in back. Best mower ever; gas or cordless.
Photo of robust

robust

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Don't let the weight of your hands (arms) ride the handle.  That will lift the front of the mower intermittently due to the unevenness of a lawn, and that breaks the updraft caused by the blade.
The updraft serves to lift the grass blades for cutting, so without the updraft uneven cutting results.

Photo of Jim

Jim

• 480 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
it’s the blade and grass combination. On a previous mower, I switched blades and it left corn rows in its path. If you have doubts, return it. I have issues with both my EGO mowers; they quit for no reason. The weight of your arms is not the issue unless they weigh 200 pounds.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,112 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I would try another mow and see if you can find the technique that works for you. Even before trying the HL blade. The HL blades help over all though. Egos are a bit lighter, so they take some getting used to in terms of keeping the mower level and in contact with the grass. I overlap about a 1/4 of a pass so the wheels don't fall in the same place on the next row to minimize the lines. That works well for me. Also keeping on top of mowing and not trying to cut too much at a time. However, fair notice, I'm just happy the grass is shorter, I'm not lawn proud or looking for a putting green level lawn, so I don't mind the pattern it leaves for a day or so. We've even played with it by cutting at angles to see if could make it look like a ball field from our deck. It was kind of cool. Once you learn your method, I think you will really love it.
Photo of delanejenkins

delanejenkins

Thanks for the replies! I'll give it another try before exchanging for another 2102. Based on what I'm reading, it may have been my cut height and grass conditions. I cut at level 2 and the grass had gotten fairly high due to daily rain here in South Louisiana lately. I just don't want to waste my opportunity to exchange it for another if I happened to get a lemon. I know the 2102 is a great mower based on the 1000s of great reviews out there.
(Edited)
Photo of Tom Madsen

Tom Madsen

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have had the same issue with my EGO.  I bought May 25 and have had issues every time I mow.  It won't pick up any of the spare leaves.  I sharpened the blade, but my results were still the same.  I've attempted several blade heights. Grass seems to have bent over and not get cut evenly.  I've read concerns that there is not enough lift generated.  Very disappointed.  Any suggestions from satisfied users.  thanks
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 61,718 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Tom, you might be trying to cut off too much at a time. Try setting the mower height so it only removes 1", or less, from the tip of the blades of grass. I tend to mow frequently, especially during leaf season, to cut off just enough and it also seems to vacuum up leaves pretty well. Another thing, at least for me, that works quite well is pulling the mower backward instead of pushing it. Not necessarily needed for the entire yard but just in case the mower misses a few leaves or a stray blade of grass.
Note that I have the original 21" non-sp model.

William E Hanson

• 18,222 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Tom , Mine is the 21" SP. Likewise, I mow frequently with height setting at 3 and mow at the slowest SP speed. No issues with cut or mulching leaves. When grass is lush in the Spring, I set at 4 and bag.
Photo of Tom Madsen

Tom Madsen

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
You're probably correct Mike.  I've left it a bit longer with the super hot weather.  I'll give a try.  Thanks guys!
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 4,118 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Cutting at inch at a time really helped me not to tear the grass
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 4,330 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Yea 2 is really low, I have Fescue and I cut it twice a week at 5 and then 4 Looks so lush and I have no problems. I was tearing the grass but after cutting an inch at a time and making sure blade was sharp have not had any issues. Neighbors all complement me in my lawn and started getting battery mowers themselves.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,154 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I cut at 2 all the time, and yes the High Lift blade changed my world.

William E Hanson

Bloomz, what kind of grass do you have?
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,108 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I honestly don't know - the green kind?  LOL

William E Hanson

Green is good; brown is bad.
Photo of delanejenkins

delanejenkins

I took a few more pics to show some other angles. To me it looks like every pass has a high strip. Think it's just from cutting at level 2, standard blade, or user errors? Thanks for all the help guys. Obviously the grass needs some TLC. I just bought the place. I just want to make sure my mower is not the problem while I still have the opportunity to exchange it for another. 

(Edited)
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 8,964 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Mine looks like that after a mow, especially when it is long, but the stripes settle down in a day or so. I think it has to do with where the wheels are running.  I can minimize them by making sure I'm not retracing the wheel path with the next pass.  If you bought it at HD you have 90 days, so unless you unpacked it on day 89, grin, you should be okay with trying a few more mows.  
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 64,836 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Are you sure those strips are above the level of the cut grass? They look like the ruts the wheels leave. I always overlap about 1/4th of the mower's width (maybe 1/8th?) so my wheels never track in the same rut. 
Also, get in the habit of changing the mowing pattern. I see you followed the perimeter shape this time. Next time only mow east to west, for example. Next time north to south, etc... It helps 
Sometimes if I'm really feeling frisky I'll mow one direction and then cross and do the 90 degree direction in the same mowing session. I get best cut coverage that way. 
Also, I think if you rest your arms on the handle that can affect cut quality. I tend to just keep upward pressure on the handle bar, not lifting pressure but just a little upward pressure, and the cut is usually better. Still won't eliminate the wheel ruts, but tends to help with strays.  My observation only. YMMV.
Note that I have the 21" non-sp model.

I used to only mow at level 2. I decided to try level 3 and the grass sure likes it better. 
Photo of delanejenkins

delanejenkins

Thanks guys! Yeah I did check to make sure they were in fact longer strips. And I also overlap with every pass with at least 1/4 of the mower width. I'll try your suggestions as well as the others on this next mow!
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 20,860 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I just mowed my admittedly small front grass twice and by mowing it twice, it looks better than one pass with my previous mower, a Honda Harmony with dual blades.  If I had a large area to mow I wouldn't have the patience to mow twice, however.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,154 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Have you tried a High Lift blade yet?
Photo of Tom Madsen

Tom Madsen

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
No, what is a high lift blade, and what is the difference?
Thanks
Tom
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,174 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Its the blade that will improve the cut and make u a happier customer.  Trust me.  I didn't like the mower with the stock blade, at all.
(Edited)
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,152 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
IIRC Dave hated it at first!
High Lift took my happiness with the mower to 100% - before that it was a bit disappointing

William E Hanson

Bloomz, sometimes, it's the small things that makes the difference.
Photo of Tom Madsen

Tom Madsen

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
No, what is a high lift blade, and what is the difference?
Thanks
Tom
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,152 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Please see this thread for a long explanation - it's SO utterly worth the $25

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/my-mower-sucks-and-im-happy-about-that
(Edited)

William E Hanson

Bloomz, hilarious description; enjoyed your creative writing.

William E Hanson

Tom. It's exactly what the name implies; the design lifts the grass blades up to ensure to better cut.

EGO 21 in, Lawn Mower High Lift Blade
https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-21-in...

There's one for the 20" mower also.
Photo of delanejenkins

delanejenkins

I'm seeing some improvement! Thanks for all the suggestions. So far I have increased my cut height to #3, waited until a little later in the morning once the dew has dried and also have been mowing more frequently. The unevenness has gotten much better. My high lift blade just arrived today so I'll be trying that out this weekend. I do have one other question though, have you guys had any issues with your mower not wanting to allow you to manually push it after you've been self-propel? Sometimes it seems like its stuck and the wheels sounds as if they're straining to turn gears then it will release. Sometimes quickly but sometimes it takes several feet before releasing. 
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 64,836 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
delane, there is a safety feature in the sp model that helps prevent rollback on hills. The sp locks when you stop so the mower won't roll back. You can release the sp a step or 2 before you plan to stop and the feature will be bypassed so it doesn't lock up on you.

William E Hanson

The SP should be released a step just before you need yo turn ir pull the mixer backwards to turn.
Photo of Joe Robinson

Joe Robinson

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
When buying this mower I would expect it to at the very least cut the grass without noticing that much of a difference.  You have a lot of options here so make sure you are happy with whatever you go with even if it takes some time for you to get the lawn cut with the right mower.  In my experience, I purchased the LM2100 and I loved it.  That was the mower the got me hooked on Ego products but after two seasons I realized that I wanted the self propelled option and the steel deck.  I could not be happier with selling the LM2100 and buying the LM2020SP.  Honestly, I can't tell the difference between 21" and 20" in the deck.  I know I will use this mower until Ego comes out with a riding mower which Ryobi is dominating in their zero turn mower.  Between the high lift and mulching blade, you should purchase it regardless if you own the LM2100SP or not.  I had both and use the mulching blade for short cuts as a junker in case I dinged up the blade if I hit a root.  I used the high lift blade for higher cuts since it did make a better cut, if closely examining the grass.  Furthermore, it's only ~$20 bucks online so I'd recommend buying that along with a blade sharpener for your drill and consider the overall 40ish bucks as an investment in helping you mower run longer and better over time.  When I sold my LM2100 and bought the LM2020SP I did this along with buying a snow blower since the batteries are cheaper with equipment.  I was able to buy the mower cheaper, with no battery, and the snow blower with two 7.5 batteries at roughly $800 for both, look it up online since I might be off with the price.  However, with the 7.5 batteries at $300 to $350 each, I definitely came out on top with this deal.  Keep in mind the batteries are the main cost, just like printers, the cost is in the ink cartridges.  Ego really helps if you match and swap equipment to get the best out of your batteries.  As for the cut, look at this youtube review, and see if that is the same issue you have and shout out if you have any other questions.  https://youtu.be/XSZw6IjUNJs.  Keep on mowing!!!