shipping cost for repairs

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
If a non-warranty repair is needed on a mower, who pays the shipping costs to get it to an authorized repair facility & back?
Photo of JK

JK

• 210 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Julio Villanueva

Julio Villanueva

• 1,840 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I believe you make arrangements with HD to drop it to its closer location. That's what guy told me when I bought mine at HD
Photo of JK

JK

I'm really hoping for a response from the Community Manager on this question.  I want to be sure that I understand the company's policy.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,728 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
For a non-warranty repair, you as the end-user, would be responsible for shipping costs associated with transportation of the unit, if necessary from your local Home Depot to a centralized repair facility.  Costs vary by tool.  More information can be found by contacting your local Home Depot directly to find out if they need to ship the unit out or repair onsite as well as the transportation costs. All authorized repairs for tools, at this time, are handled by The Home Depot in the US.

For all warranty repair, you are not responsible for any costs, including transportation.  Remember that some items are available as replacement parts and can be replaced by yourself, avoiding a repair center altogether.  Any part listed in the parts diagram in the manual for your tool is available for sale to you from our customer service team.
(Edited)
Photo of JK

JK

Thank you for your info. It differs from what I got from your customer call center a few minutes ago.  He (Hugo?)  said that I would not be responsible for shipping costs for a non-warranty repair.  Your answer is in writing. I guess that is what I must go by.

(He thought it was odd that I was looking 5-years down the road.... perhaps mowers aren't expected to last that long any more. I am spoiled. My Craftsman gas mower is 24 years old and still starts on a single pull - at least it did until a week ago, when I managed to get a cord wrapped around the blade....)
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,728 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
JK, thanks for letting us know about the misinformation you received.  We're addressing that with our customer service team.