Sham complaints

• Idea
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Under Consideration
  • (Edited)
I'm sensing a lot of posts lately are just attempts to draw market away from EGO by rival companies.  Coming from a marketing background, there is a familiar structure that gives them away.  

They start by complaining about some serious "problem" (like uneven mowing)  that would give anyone pause doing research on EGO, just to insert doubt about the build quality or performance of the tools. 

Then when they hook a reply they double down, repeat their issue, and then complain about even needing the fix, even in the face of simple solutions to whatever the trumped up problem is.  These particular posters never come back and say they tried the solution and it worked when we know it should.  Or they say they tried it and it still was bad, which makes no sense, since all things equal, it isn't a problem for anyone else.  

A few more clever ones will say they tried the fix, but then come back and cite some other problem or raise vague doubts about whether the machine performs as well as they think it should.  

Even when their "allies" (often with very low points indicating they are also new members) chime in to say they have the same complaint no one reports they successfully tried the solutions offered.    

The poster then flogs it way longer, weeks even, than anyone truly unhappy with a product would waste time on, anyone else would just return the thing and not look back, even if someone replied weeks later.  Or they would just report they returned it, problem solved.  

The final obvious giveaway is look for the repeated plugs about how the other brand "they" own never had the problem, or works "so much better."  They and their shills just back each other up and mention "my blank was better," "Never had that problem with gas, etc."

Finally, when they get called out or backed into a corner, the tone changes and then come the attacks on the folks trying to help because we start pointing out the obvious: they aren't really interested in a solution (because gee, they aren't.)  See above.  Anyone else with a bad product they aren't using would not be so invested in complaining about it.  They  just dump it.  

When the thread has finally died, create a new id, re-post identical complaint, repeat.  

Trashing the competition with trumped up claims of poor performance has been around as long as rival companies.  With the internet it's exploded. They actually recruit people to do it.  It can pay well depending on how prolific you are.  

Anyway, I miss the days when Ego controlled the board and they just shut down the obvious trolls that are trying to Bogart the site.   Without that, perhaps we should adopt a 3 tries and move on policy once it's clear a poster isn't seriously taking the suggestions, or keeps answering with new complaints.  That way the threads die and fake trash posts don't take up so much space here.   
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,716 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

• 6,786 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
What about verification - such as requiring a model #,  serial #, date of purchase and/or a photo of their machine in their yard?

Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,588 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
ooh, that is a good idea.  We had one fellow who simply refused to post pics of his problem, even though that would have let us help solve it... clear troll. 
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,716 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Btw, this pattern is recognizable on any product review forum.  Watch for it when you are researching things.  It's kinda a fun game once you know how to play "spot the troll." ('Course, I don't get out much, except to mow my lawn, with my Ego. grin.) 
Photo of Ted Vigodsky

Ted Vigodsky

• 574 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The most important issue I'm curious about when the time may come for assistance are complaints apparently from all sides about the difficulties of reaching a human being without unreasonable wait times assuming anyone calls back at all. That would be my bottom line!!!
(Edited)
Photo of Matthew William

Matthew William

• 1,372 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Like a few of them I've shared similar issues in regards to cut quality but after biting the bullet on the high lift blade.  It has made a world of difference.  I contacted customer service in May shortly after i received my mower due to a bad battery out of the box.  A new one arrived within a week.  So customer service was no issue when I had to call.  
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 70,260 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Does seem valid if the intent is to draw people away from EGO and to SOB. MIght be a good philosophy to take to let those threads die a quick death.
Photo of cbe77

cbe77

• 426 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You are talking about my thread.  It really bothers me that you assume I'm some shill for another company.  I simply posted b/c I want to know what I can do to make this work. What proof do you want that I am an actual customer? 

I have the 21" SP, Powerload trimmer, backpack blower, and I even picked up a chainsaw attachment off craigslist (I don't have a power head yet).  The blower isn't as powerful as my last backpack mower, but I'm pleased with it and would likely keep it even IF I return the mower.  I also like the trimmer.  I find it has more of a learning curve, b/c I'm used to have a little more control over the speed as with gas, but I like the convenience and don't plan to return it either. 

As for the mower, I just used the high lift blade the first time this weekend; it was delivered Thursday/Friday. I find the cut marginally better, but better. Yes, I sharpened it before I mowed even though it's silly that is needed. This was the first cut when my battery didn't make the full yard.  I finished the last 5 minutes with the trimmer battery.  The HL blade drained the battery quicker as other threads mentioned.  I also adjusted my handle as suggest by the lawn care nut video.  I'm not sure that really had much effect other than me being more diligent about keeping the front tires down.  Overall the cut is better, but still lacking.  I'm at a point where I'm trying to weigh my options.  Do I want all the conveniences that this mower provides or do want the cut to be better.
The poster then flogs it way longer, weeks even, than anyone truly unhappy with a product would waste time on, anyone else would just return the thing and not look back, even if someone replied weeks later.  Or they would just report they returned it, problem solved.  
Yes, I am here weeks later because I WANT THIS MOWER TO WORK.  I love that it stores upright.  I love the deck adjustment although it isn't something needed often. I love not smelling like gas. I just want the mower to cut my st augustine grass evenly and on the first pass.  I feel if I was still at my old house with centipede grass, i would be happy with the cut.
Anyone else with a bad product they aren't using would not be so invested in complaining about it.  They  just dump it.  
I don't just dump a product as popular as this. It's got a following for a reason. I'm trying to make it work b/c I also see the pros, not just the cons. If it makes you feel better I could list the reasons why I got rid of the Honda.
  • drive issues after 2 summers. cost a couple hundred to fix but only $400 to buy so it isn't work repairing
  • carburetor constantly needs attention, b/c I am pretty bad about using E gas in it and leaving it.
  • local repair shops don't want to even touch it b/c I bought it from home depot and they spend more time telling me why I shouldn't buy a mower from home depot than actually trying to help me.

Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,662 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Actually, this was inspired by another post, but I am glad you are getting things worked out with your Ego.  
Photo of David Myers

David Myers

• 208 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
CBE77, I think he is referring to me.

I bought the mower Wednesday mowed Sunday and after the excitement of buying this I was disappointed with the cut of a brand new mower . I guess I should buy a new blade or sharpen mine in a matter of hours and mow my recently mowed yard less than 24 hours later .?

Like CBE I want this to work. I still do.

For a community you guys are aggressive and unwelcoming.

I might return this and get another unit. I might buy a high lift blade . I might another brand .

Whatever I do it is highly unlikely I will comment or post in this site

Oh and I included pics of the box in my garage and the craftsman in my shed . You know the mower my wife’s grandparents gave me . Does craftsman even make mowers since sears sold the brand ? Anyway yeah I’m shilling for that .
Photo of James D Linley

James D Linley

• 280 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
All I can say to all the naysayers, real and fake, I've had my mower, edger, trimmer, blower for over a couple of years now and I am more than completely satisfied.  I can't attest to other brands other than my son-in-law's E mower that isn't nearly as nice or have the staying power of the 7.5 Ego.  Love them, love them, love them.  When you get to be my age, late 60s, pushing a button is a huge plus, no oil or gas to deal with, low noise, just about every metric is much better than ICE mowers.  I suspect they'll stop making them in a couple of years or so, even riding mowers.  
Photo of Rick Fortson

Rick Fortson

• 814 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I agree — mostly Trolls - who take away from people with a real problem.
Photo of matt

matt

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Same here. I can’t believe all the complaints I see on this board. I’ve had my mower for 3 seasons now and it works just as it did when I first got it. The only thing I’ve done for maintenance is change the blade. Just charge and go. Still can do my 3/4 acre yard in one charge of my 7.5 battery. Since then I’ve bought the trimmer, blowers, snow thrower, chain saw, and hedge trimmer. Love the products and I recommend them to everyone.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Believe the majority of EGO users are satisfied and continue to add products to their garage. Typical human behavior to remain quiet when happy, but quick to complain when not happy. This forum has provided myself with lots of great advice and information and also happy to add my share on items I may be knowledgeable with.

William E Hanson

Believe the majority of EGO users are satisfied and continue to add products to their garage. Typical human behavior to remain quiet when happy, but quick to complain when not happy. This forum has provided myself with lots of great advice and information and also happy to add my share on items I may be knowledgeable with.
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 5,582 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I have been reading all these posts and I must be the luckiest guy in the world.  First, I am going to list my Ego tools ( push lawn mower, self-propelled lawn mower, dual battery self-propelled lawn mower, snow blower, two blowers, trimmer, inverter, two 7.5 ah batteries, four 5ah batteries, one 4ah battery, three fast chargers).  To get back to why I must be the luckiest guy in the world is that I have never had a problem with any of my tools.  I do recommend, if people  can, buy the dual battery lawn mower.  It is really an improvement over the single battery lawn mower.  I recommend reading and doing what the manual directions say and take good care of your tools.  They are expensive and need loving care.  A lot of the questions that are asked could be answered my reading the manual for that tool.  Also, the Ego website has pdf files for all the manuals and youtube videos for maintenance.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,508 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Wow - good stuff this.....

I've posted SO many times to TRY THE HIGH LIFT BLADE that I should just have a cut and paste to all those type of threads.

Maybe it should be something like "since you didn't search the threads here, you need to pony up $20 to try a HL blade and until you do, STFU".  (Is that too harsh?  lol)

If you don't like it then, return the mower AND the blade.

I recently found out this is basically a 1 HP mower, if the conveniences don't outweigh the perfection and power you got from Honda - go back to it.

But you did point out an "issue" with us taking the time to try to help.

I love this mower, but it is not and will never be as powerful or mulch as well as mowers with big noisy engines, it may leave trails that require me to overlap when mulching, and a couple other things that are just "different" from gas mowers, and I'm just fine with that.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,662 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
One note, I'm not sure comparing HP is entirely accurate, as electric motors have more torque, all the power is going right to the spin (and sp if used).  and it is the power behind the spin that drives how well it cuts.  There is power lost to getting all the engine parts moving and *then* transferring that power to the function.  Not sure all the physics, but it's why an electric motor will toast a gas engine off the line.  While the gas engine is still trying to just get the pistons to turn, the wheels on the Prius are already powered at 60 mph, so all you are overcoming is the inertia in the vehicle.  The Peak Power function takes advantage of this phenomenon and is why the mowers can be heard ramping up and back down as they meet resistance.   they can draw heavy power when they need and then settle back down to conserve battery when any more would be overkill.   There was a good series of posts on here a few years back that explained it better. 

William E Hanson

It's great that most are helpful and receive suggestions well; that keeps forums such as this productive and viable.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,610 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I don't doubt there are people that are baiting others with an "EGO sucks" conversation. Still, I think it's important to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, especially when they're new to EGO and going through the initial "do I keep it or return it" phase of their new purchase. I wasn't initially happy with the cut of my EGO mower but kept it and overall I'm satisfied with the mower. I'm still undecided whether I like my EGO snow blower or not (EGO could do a lot better here) but kept the snow blower anyway.

I'm pretty sure if this forum hadn't let me vent my disappointments about my EGO products and provide the assistance I needed...I would have returned my EGO products long ago.  The reality is I'm a lot happier with my EGO mower in its second year than its first year. It takes time for people to evolve a negative opinion into a positive opinion.
(Edited)
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,696 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Of course I agree.  I remember when you first came on (or maybe when I first saw your posts.)  It was clear you were trying.  My post is related to the uptick since the forum went public of posters who clearly have another agenda.

They stand out because they resist or deflect any attempt at help or finding a fix. They just exploit the forum to create posts that run down Ego.

Anyone who is "not a troll" should never worry about asking for help, or feel this post is directed at them.  grin. 
(Edited)

William E Hanson

Bryan, ironically the snow blower blew me away at how well it performed clearing Snowpocalypse '19 with drifts up to 15" without breaking a sweat. All the other EGO tools are amazing also. My only beef is having to patiently wait for other tools and not buy inferior products.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,610 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
William, for a single-stage non-self propelled snow blower I'm impressed but it has shortcomings that I had hoped EGO would have addressed after three years (like a version with skid shoes) but haven't . Of course what was really on my list was an EGO two-stage or at a minimum a hybrid like the Toro Snowmaster (that Erik keeps bring up). At least the price is reasonable especially if you have need for two extra batteries to use year round.

William E Hanson

Bryan, I understand the wish list, but was impressed how well it worked. Certainly beat shoveling; would've been at least 8-10 hrs of back-breaking work, but I finished in less than an hour after switching out the two 5.0 Ah batteries with a 7.5 & 5.0 to finish. It was under heavy load the whole time and didn't flinch.
Photo of TK

TK

• 528 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Sometimes Prariedog, Ego cannot give you a decent fix.  They have helped me out by sending me the better blade for my mower but it still does not work that great.  Leaves clippings all over the place.  I have never been impressed with their lawnmower.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sometimes people try the different blade and still don’t sharpen it. Have you tried that, TK?
Photo of TK

TK

Yeah I have. Wow.
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 6,766 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I have been watching threads on cut quality and run time for a while now and recently I have noticed more threads on the cut quality of Ego plastic mowers. Not sure why but some are a little confusing. Ego does offer a high lift blade and it seems to help some but heres a little secret I'll let you guys in on about us commercial guys.....If the lawn gets a little long and we really care about the account we will double cut. Simple but effective in getting a better cut. Even a pumped up high velocity deck cannot mow everything perfectly the first time.

I post often about other companies products coming out but not to bury Ego rather to get some critical thought about features and ideas....I always assume that Ego has something better coming down the tracks. I don't think Ego raced to the front of the Battery market to just give it up.I

One complaint I read stated the deck was cutting uneven because of the deck flexing. I have not heard this one before and I'm curious if this is real or a fluke. I saw the pictures and it shows a pretty uneven cut....at least I think I saw pictures. I have seen this in dual blade wider mowers due to lift but never on a single blade mower.

Jeremy
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 10,336 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I think one of the reviews Workshop Addict did said the deck flexed. Also. Someone who was a Champion on here said the same.
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 6,766 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I think if the deck flexed following ground contour the cut may actually improve but it seems more likely due to a kinda light front end that if it kinda bounces off one wheel it could cause the front to rise quickly on that side causing an uneven cut....but I'm just guessing.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,526 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I think the lighter deck "bouncing" is the main issue for the uneven cut. A little lift upward at the handle seems to reduce the bounce. I also noticed that putting the mower on the highest setting (6) will produce an uneven cut. I don't go higher than a 5 unless the grass is extremely high.

William E Hanson

If the deck is bouncing, it may be time to level your lawn; there are YouTube videos showing how. Mowing at slowest SP speed will minimize any bouncing. I've not had to push oh the handle to force the front down. I just use the SP and guide the mower.
Photo of TK

TK

The bigger issue for me is the power surges that do not suck clippings up enough.

William E Hanson

Jeremy always good to get the perspective from a professional using these tools all day everyday.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I don't like where this is going.   People have legitimate complaints.  To call out someone who has had to have their mower shipped off for most of the summer for a warranty repair and is ticked off, or someone who isn't particularly happy with the cut quality is just wrong. 

EGO has the best product in the Battery Powered segment, but it isn't perfect.  Let people vent, let us help them.

Are there sham posts?  Absolutely, but just reply cordially and with a good answer, then let it go.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 8,720 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Agree. I'm on my third Ego season and have the mower and almost everything else. I obviously like my Ego, but, like many forums related to a manufacture like this there are a few that drank the Kool-Aid and only see the products how their own eyes see them.

I’m a dedicated mulcher. My previous mower was a Honda Harmony with a Xenoy deck. I had it for 15 years before retiring it for Ego.

My back yard is strange in that a few areas grow much thicker and longer than others (maybe the dogs?). I swear my Ego cuts through these when it goes to high speed mode better than my Honda did. My Honda would just fill will grass until it bogged down and stopped.

If I don’t let my grass grow too long between cuttings my front and back yards look excellent and evenly cut.

For some reason I have one area on the side of my house maybe 6’x35’ that is the only place I get the uncut grass many complain about. Right where you overlap the cut. Even if I overlap further it doesn’t help. Most of the time this uncut grass isn’t visible for a few hours until the grass unfolds.

This is one thing that never happened with my Honda – probably the lift issue. If my whole yard looked like this I would have returned the mower early on. So, I don’t doubt posters that have striping issues.

Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 9,548 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I think I'm being misunderstood.  I'm not talking about the folks with real issues who appreciate the help, even if it takes a bit to get them there. 

I'm only talking about posts that are clearly just being used to slam Ego.  There are groups of posts that are just veiled slurs, digs and insinuations about Ego that can never be satisfied, and always include a plug for other brands or technology.  That's all.  

Again, I worked in marketing so maybe I just am more sensitive to it because I know the game.  I was just trying to help others tell when they are getting sucked into one of these hopeless, bandwidth eating cases. 

I'm also suggesting we don't keep supplying them airtime because it pushes the posts higher in the search returns for anyone curious about Ego and gives a false impression about a great group of products.     
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 6,554 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Michael G. Have you changed patterns? 6x35 means you most likely go end to end but just for kicks ....slight S curve.....maybe slight arch...heck maybe mow it side to side.

Sometimes doing it the hard way can yield better results.
Photo of cbe77

cbe77

• 426 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
For some reason I have one area on the side of my house maybe 6’x35’ that is the only place I get the uncut grass many complain about. Right where you overlap the cut. Even if I overlap further it doesn’t help. Most of the time this uncut grass isn’t visible for a few hours until the grass unfolds.
This is the same thing I'm experiencing in my rear yard.  When I'm done mowing I've hit the yard basically twice (overlapping) and some areas get an additional pass.  An hour later I'm sitting on my back porch admiring the yard and I'm noticing some uneven spots and tons of single blades of grass left standing.  It's frustrating and while my posts may come across as venting, I'm really hoping for a solution. 
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 103,602 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I think the top suggestions would be to try
a) sharpening your blade
b) try the High lift blade
c) altering your pattern
(Edited)

William E Hanson

• 19,376 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
SCDC, legitimate issues generally aren't argumentative and most provide good tips to make it better. But if the "complaint" goes on and on with no reports of trying the suggestions, it does appear bad, especially when other brands are being mentioned. Our thoughts would be that if they feel another brand is better, why are they here anyway.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,666 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Michael if you let the grass dry a bit too much, some grasses will lay down stubbornly, causing uncut strips.  Remember, very dry grass won't "spring back" when walked upon.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,508 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I do remember someone who repeatedly pined for his Honda mower, and was argumentative.  Now he's apparently a fan and a helpful poster here.

FWIW

William E Hanson

Like lots of people, we used to own a Honda, but chose to upgrade for all the good reasons and do not miss my Honda. Not that it wasn't a great mower, but it isn't what the EGO brand is about.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Lot's of people have used Hondas--they are immensely popular.  I don't miss the noise or the fumes.  Nor did I like that it only had discrete SP speeds.  Nor that I could get a heck of a burn if not careful around it.  Oh, and when the SP was engaged it would damage the grass because it wasn't "soft start".  Mowing with the EGO is a joy.  It's pleasant instead of a vibrating, noisy, hot, stinky experience.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
If I were going to buy a gas mower it would be a Honda or a Toro. But the pleasure of using the Ego self-propelled pretty much guarantees I won't be buying a gas mower!
Photo of Ego-12

Ego-12

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I said it a year ago when I bought my EGO lawnmower. I still feel.the same way. It’s light and agile. If it was a auto it would be a sports car. My Toro Pacesetter was state of the art when I bought it years ago. Don’t miss the smoke, noise and heaviness one bit. This from a guy who made his living as an owner of a auto repair shop for 30 years.
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

• 6,786 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
LM2101 - 21 inch - not SP - 3 years old.  I have centipede grass  

The first year I used the regular blade and the mulching plug and it was a vast improvement over the yard service I had used.

The second year, I used the high lift blade with the mulching plug and it seemed to leave more clippings on the surface.  I didn't like the extra noise, strain on the motor and the cut was not any better.

This 3rd year, I have used the regular blade with the bag to collect the clippings, so I can collect the weed seeds and not have to double back over clippings left when using the mulching plug.   I like the results.   I do have the occasional uncut blade of grass pop up after mowing.  I don't know if the wheels mashed it down before it could be cut or if there isn't enough suction to get it all up and ready to cut.   

The overall appearance of the grass with all three methods is lovely - and definitely better than the yard service.   I think the EGO and centipede grass were made for each other!

Only negative - I do wish there was a 2.5 cutting height option because 3 is too long and 2 is great, but scalps a couple of areas.   Would some slightly larger wheels solve the problem?

PS - I don't mow any special way - just follow the yard/bed contours from the outside in.
(Edited)
Photo of TK

TK

I love my Ego blower and pole chain saw and attachments with the trimmer.  The lawnmower is decent but have not loved it.  It leaves clippings and is only powerful when it hits thick grass usually too late and leaves clippings behind even with the bag. Wish I would have saved my money.  I will not even sniff the snowblower until a better powered second gen comes out.  Like the generator idea but they must include solar or its a no go for that crazy price point.  Ego had me at the beginning but I am not sure of my future with them.  Need to step it up and keep the people interested lol.
(Edited)