Shaft extension for ST1500SF string trimmer?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
Is there any way to extend the shaft length of the ST1500SF string trimmer? I've tried handle positions and shoulder straps and the bottom line is that at my height (6'4") I have to hunch over to properly use this trimmer. I'm taking care of multiple acres with trees, bushes, gardens, buildings, and fences and it's killing my back.

In the past I used a commercial string trimmer that had a shaft about 8" longer than this one and it was a snap to use standing upright, however I'm sold on the Ego line over gas, however I might have to go back to a gas trimmer to be able to get through my trimming without ending up with back issues.
Photo of Scott Turner

Scott Turner

• 70 Points

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 15,598 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
You could purchase the power head with string trimmer attachment plus the extension attachment. However, the extension isn't adjustable and may be more awkward.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 57,970 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I wonder about a couple of things to try. I read recently about someone using a string trimmer one-handed. They rest the battery end of the ST under their elbow and use the one arm only.
Perhaps in tandem with that, the D handle could be moved back closer to the trigger? Not a true length adjustment, and would potentially affect the balance of the tool, but with resting the battery end under the elbow and having the D handle closer to the trigger might allow you to extend your tool hand a bit and then just have the handle hand to sort of steady the ST. 
Hoping all of that makes a bit of sense.