Self Service

• Idea
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Under Consideration
Why not let people install parts without voiding the warranty. Like others have reported my self drive motor has  has quit after only two years. It's summer so why am I expected to wait six weeks for HD to send it off for repair. How do I cut the grass during this extended period. HD should not be allowed to sell theses products if they can't perform simple repairs on site. Changing the motor is a simple job.               
Photo of MICHAEL D RIDDLE

MICHAEL D RIDDLE

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 16,070 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Michael, agree, but understand that not everyone could without destroying the tool. EGO is protecting themselves but inadvertently causing unnecessary delays. Repairs to most if their tools would be somewhat seasonal, but apparently not ramping up coverage with personnel. Growing pains that hopefully gets fixed.

MICHAEL D RIDDLE

The delays are ridiculous. Who can afford to have their mower out of service for six weeks in the summer.

William E Hanson

Michael, some had suggested buying another from Home Depot and using until your mower is returned; you have 90 days to return for full refund or 1 year if charged to their credit card. Some may think it's unethical, but you were placed into an unreasonable situation.

MICHAEL D RIDDLE

Probably not something I would do. EGO should make loaners available at their retailers if they can’t provide on-site service.
Photo of Scott

Scott

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This process is no different than any other manufacturer of lawn equipment. Dealers exist for a reason, and you can purchase EGO products from them. 

MICHAEL D RIDDLE

Most other manufacturers of lawn equipment have local service available.
If I'd purchased a Toro or Honda getting a repair done would be a simple 5 to 7 day turnaround. Unfortunately, EGO spends more money on advertising than they do have qualified local dealers that can perform routine repairs. It would seem to me that an effective sales and marketing strategy would include establishing a network of capable dealers. That is unless they are not interested in repeat business. The fact that I have to buy a back up gas mower to cover the 6 to 8 week repair time will certainly factor into any future decision I make to purchase any more EGO products. 

MICHAEL D RIDDLE

If dealers exist for the sole purpose of selling products and not providing after sales service they won't gain repeat business. Very short sighted.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 92,190 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I think you may find the same issue with other brands battery tools as it is not the same 100 year old ICE that most repair shops work on daily.
Time will tell

William E Hanson

Michael, you're comparing ancient technology to state of the art. Any two bit mechanic or handyman can work on a gas mower, while the EGO platform requires a higher level of expertise. EGO is relatively new and is going through growing pains; they will eventually catch up. Your line of thinking is as shortsighted as what you accused them of. They have many satisfied customers who understands this is bleeding edge and would not ever go back to an archaic platform with gas. "Capable" is the keyword; these technicians aren't plentiful and training is more involved. A Teslar owner wouldn't be able to it services at any garage; EGO is the Teslar of lawn equipment.
(Edited)

MICHAEL D RIDDLE

If they can’t adequately support the products they shouldn’t sell them. I’m not interested in their growing pains only my growing grass with no ability to cut it for six weeks. Are you an employee or just so enamored with the technology that you’ll put up with its short comings?

William E Hanson

Not an employee, but a satisfied customer. I have not experienced anything short of excellence myself. You're obviously not happy; return it and go back to the dark ages of gas.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 3,604 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
They do support their products, just a whole new error of lawn equipment, new technology. I’m sure everyone that is doing battery vs. gas is having that similar problem because it is new so not everyone knows it like gas. You might be able to fix it but Joe Blow says the same thing and really doesn’t know. Just by another EGO and return it when you get yours back for full refund, or return yours altogether, problem solved. You can do that because they do support there products.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 58,738 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Error; Freudian slip? LOL Thinking you meant era. 
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 3,604 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Yea I think spell check thought it new what I was going to say before I finished and slipped it in there. Lol
(Edited)

MICHAEL D RIDDLE

Instead of making smart remarks why not tell me what a satisfied customer would do if he found himself with a mower for six weeks. Go back to the expense of hiring a lawn service? Buy another mower? Cut it with shears? What enlightened suggestions do you have.

William E Hanson

Michael, you are doing everything wrong wanting help.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 58,738 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Michael, the system is what it is for now. There is always hope things will change and your type of post can help draw attention to that lacking part of EGO and HD's service system.
However, given that we have to work within the current parameters, you really only have a few choices and the best of them, IMO, is to buy another mower and return it once you have yours back. Pretty much a net zero cost to you that way.

I'm very much in agreement with you in that I feel I'm more than competent to make in warranty repairs of my equipment as you feel you are. But, EGO has to have certified repair people to make sure the work under warranty is to the same quality as EGO's original build. Otherwise it's just chaos with no way to control the outcome. Fire, electrical shocks, are just a couple of things that come to mind that could happen. There have been some who have reported less than satisfactory warranty work from HD's repair centers but that is very rare so not a concern really(well, except to the few people it's happened to).

Now, once the tools are out of warranty there definitely needs to be an easy and widespread parts system to access so we can make our own repairs. 
Photo of Scott

Scott

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
If you buy your equipment at a dealer, they tend to put you ahead of someone that purchased at HD and brought it to them. They want repeat customers. They're swamped this time of year, and have to prioritize. That priority happens to be the customers that thought to purchase their equipment from the dealer. This situation though with long waits in May and June, is the same whether you buy gas or electric. EGO also provides dealers with both parts distribution and service guidance. 
Photo of Ronald Eddy

Ronald Eddy

• 70 Points
If you check the laws, you will find they cannot legally void the warranty for making a repair yourself unless they can prove the repair you made caused the damage. Look up the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act.
(Edited)

William E Hanson

A consumer modification without manufacturer consent will void the warranty. If the manufacturer voids your warranty and you disagree, you would have to initiate legal proceedings at your expense. If you win...you may be compensated and that is a long shot. Good luck with that; although it could be done if you're patient and willing to spend the time. I know firsthand; took me 2 years of legal work to recover expenses in a warranty claim against Audi. Was it worth it? Yes and no; satisfaction yes, but monetarily no.
Photo of Ronald Eddy

Ronald Eddy

• 70 Points
I'm not talking about modifying anything. I'm talking about making a repair with the correct parts. When I talked to ego about buying parts from them and replacing myself, they said that would void the warranty. By law, that is not legal. A manufacturer cannot void warranty because you made repair yourself unless that repair caused problem. In other words, they can't refuse warranty repair if I replaced computer and then wheel breaks. But they try to make you think any repairs void the warranty. That is not legal. Not saying they won't try to fight it, just saying it's not legal.

William E Hanson

Ronald, either way, you're picking a fight with a corporation with deep pockets and a team of attorneys. It almost doesn't matter whether it's justified or not. It's not a right or wrong thing; are you willing to take it up against a huge conglomerate with its parent company based in China. What are the ramifications there? Now, if you do, I applaud you and wish you luck.