self propelled stops after 10 feet or so.....

• Problem
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • In Progress
Hi, I have Ego 21" self propelled mower with the 7.5ah battery. After a few using it a few times, I noticed the self propel function will stop after about 10 feet. If I release the lever and re-engage it, it will work for about another 10 feet....! The blade continues to turn, but no power to the wheels. It happens on all speed settings (I get a bit further at a faster setting). I have tried using a different battery with the same result. Could there be a short somewhere? My warranty is almost up!
Photo of MiddleMan

MiddleMan

• 70 Points

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 94,390 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Certainly sounds like a bad connection or controller.  Give customer service a call.  They can help you diagnose the problem and get you warranty service if needed.

They can be reached at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).

Photo of Keith Nichols

Keith Nichols

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I don't understand how we've sent men to the moon and back but can't design and build thousands of this lawn mower without all these faults --- mowers should be nowhere near as complex as a moon shot.  Well, I suppose most mowers work fine most of the time, but the faults that show up in this forum seem pretty avoidable.  The diagnosis from szwoop is bad controller or connection.  The controller should be a 2-dollar manual switch the user flips on and off.  If it's bad, the factory QC guys should have spotted it and fixed it before putting the mower in the box.  Likewise a bad connection. A simple, hand-operated clutch should be employed to make the wheels go around or not.  And all the parts should be easily accessible to the user.  So perhaps the most frustrating feature is that it takes a month and half to fix whatever is wrong.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Middleman, your mower has a 5 year warranty.  I'm sure you have lots of time left. :-)