Self Propelled Snow Blower

• Idea
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Under Consideration
I'm sure a lot of us would like a self-propelled snow blower.   I would like to do away with my gas snowblower, but I'm a 68 year old female and I absolutely need the self-propelled for the steep little hill on my driveway.   Also, it helps to get through what the street plows leave at the end of my driveway.   Will wait for self-propelled.  Please make one soon.   Love EGO products, but why didn't you release a self-propelled snow blower to start with.
Photo of Joanne

Joanne

• 784 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 62,158 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I agree. No need to start out little anymore. Any new release better compete with the best of the best in my opinion. Sure the ego snow blower is cool and does actually kick butt. But why not make a final first release instead of this start from the beginning process. In my opinion it's just a copy of the other single stage blowers on the market.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 164,686 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Except with “Peak Power” tecnology.

“Power Beyond Belief”. :-)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 69,224 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
1) Less design time thus Quicker to market
2) Lower cost thus larger market
3) Already using two 7.5 batteries - not sure where you are going to get SP power from without diminishing run time.
Photo of Chung Tong

Chung Tong

• 264 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I am sure it is coming. It's just matter of time.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 2,702 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
On a similar thread recently the response was there was nothing on deck. I am glad to see this thread is at least classed "under consideration."
(Edited)
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 3,542 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
The mower has it? My blower last year came with two 5 amps, so there is already headroom for sp like the mower. It was a dumb decision to go for the low hanging cheap fruit. without being able to add a SP Ego, they are losing our second purchase to the other company that makes one. Not happy about it though. Like the op , I'm older, smaller, and frankly too lightweight to provide the needed force to push it both up hill and through snow. I need a tool that will let me blow the whole drive if I don't have help. It just seems Ego is so focused on trying to convince guys it has the same capabilities as their boy toys, they are completely missing the natural wide open market for their products : women who want or need to do yard work themselves, but don't understand, or hate the hassle, weight, and mess of combustion engines. We have replaced both our 48" riding mower and our plow service with ego machines and haven't looked back. I hate I now will have another, incompatible charger set taking up space.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 7,158 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I think there is a need/market for self propelled but the non-self propelled paddle model fits my needs.

Years ago I had a Toro curved paddle blower. I had it for 11 years and then decided to purchase a two-stage self propelled Craftsman with electric start. I didn't like it. Can't pick it up and move it to places my Toro would go. Had to move my miter saw out of my garage/shop to store it during the winter. Actually think the single stage moved wet snow better than the two stage. Just sold the Craftsman this weekend and ready to try out my new EGO.

Mike
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 62,158 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Good point
Photo of JimD

JimD

• 150 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Neither light/small nor heavier/larger/self-propelled is perfect. There is a web video of someone blowing downhill to the street, then pulling the blower back to the top.  He walks very quickly downhill - likely faster than any self-propelled unit.  And the unit is light enough to pull uphill without blowing.  That's a nice tradeoff, and the overall time spent blowing may not be much different than with the large self-propelled blower that's hard to maneuver.  Plus you still have light/small for the non-driveway tasks.

Having hard snow to push into or to scrape off is the big challenge, but some changes may help overcome that.  And many snow removal sessions don't have those issues if you stay on top of it to avoid them.  Staying light/small increases ease of use and battery life.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

• 3,376 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
In my case we are on a hill, so most of the 300 ft drive is "up" from the garage, with a much steeper incline to the road so I can't just pull it up to blow down. I can do quite a bit with our push version from last year, and I love it, but the two drives to the street are beyond my physical capability. I am stuck with extended shoveling if I don't have help, which is pretty frustrating while I stare at the parked machine. So, yeah, it is not speed we are looking for, it 's the power assist up hill that would help us less burly folks. I learned this summer from our mowers what a help the SP is (yard is on the same incline). And yes, if it's a big snowfall, we are out blowing while the snow is falling. I will note, we found it throws much better if we let the snow get a little deeper.
Photo of JimD

JimD

Yup, that's a tough one.  I wonder if it would work to make your path across the width of the drive instead of the length to take away the steepness.  There would be a lot of turns, but light/small makes turning a lot easier.  You could even make a diagonal path and vary the angle as you go - mostly width-wise where it's steep, and mostly length-wise where it's flatter.  That give the opportunity for longer runs before turning where it's possible.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Gosh, thanks for assuming it is just a matter of education, but I have spent my entire life in Minnesota, and am an old pro at snow management. At a 20" pass at best, your cross-drive solution would require 100s of u-turns after blowing just 12 feet under slippery conditions on a slope! Despite your confidence, the machine is not entirely easy for a small person to turn full around. You clearly do not understand the physics problems that are in play here. The most important point though, is why should anyone have to settle for awkward work-arounds, when the solution is available? Especially when another company offers to provide what I want, and Ego has proven they have the technology platform that could easily meet the demand? Rather than shrug it off, they just need to committ to building the machines a large segment of their public wants. Every week one of these posts goes up.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,280 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Living in Hawaii, I have no idea of what is involved with snow blowing.  However, being an engineer, I do have an appreciation for the HSI, the Human Systems Interface.  Anything that can be improved to make the job easier for the operator should be considered.  Having SP functionality might be the difference between struggling to push a heavy blower up even a mild incline, potentially ice covered, falling and being injured; vs. engaging the SP and carefully walking up the same hill (Ego should consider adding a chair and call it a riding snow blower). =)

I agree that the SP sub-system of the mower could relatively easily be added to the non-SP version of the snow blower.  With 2x 7.5 AH batteries, that would be more than enough power (beyond belief).

What could potentially be "snowing-in" (sorry for the pun) the development of this product is the cost of development, against the potential sales.  My first thought is that most products can be used for 9 months out of the year, where as the snow blower is more like 3 months.  The numbers just might not add up to bringing the product to market.

Photo of Joanne

Joanne

• 382 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I've been to Hawaii and would love to live there except it's beyond my budget.  If you ever had to shovel a lot of snow, you would find that you are willing to pay a little more for those three months.   It's back breaking work and that's when I was young.   Now that I'm starting to lose muscle mass, as you do when you get older, you start looking for anything that will help.   My last snowblower cost much more than I wanted to pay - but it definitely has all the bells and whistles including turn assist so you don't have to jockey the machine around yourself.   It sure would be nice to have a battery operated one (and get rid of the messy smelly gasoline operated ones that gum up) that is self propelled and gee, while I'm dreaming, put turning assist on it.  Nothing is impossible, or so I am told.
Photo of JimD

JimD

Joanne, you're right. I was just trying some ideas.
Photo of Joanne

Joanne

• 382 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Oh, I wasn't being sarcastic.  Please don't take it that way.   Throwing around ideas is how to get things developed and done.    Thanks.
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Oh, Joanne, you didn't come off sarcastic at all, I probably did, grin. Yes! Turn assist would be a dream come true, but yeah, that might be asking a bit much at this price point, although I would be willing to pay the up-charge for the gain in safety. And up here in the great white north, 3 months counts as a non-winter. we've been known to have more snow blowing days than lawn mowing days, lol. Hawaii sounds divine.
Photo of JimD

JimD

Oops, I was referring to Prairiedog, not Joanne.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 12,932 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Aye, nothing is impossible, and when all else fails, build it yourself.  You'll need to know your way around brushless motors and motor controllers, electric circuits a small bit and where to buy and craft parts, but building your own snowblower can be done.

Knowing EGO as I do, I would not be one bit surprised if they come out with a self-propelled snow blower sooner or later.  SCDC's famous want for an edger didn't get satisfied for a few years, then finally they come out with one and though I never saw him be happy as a clam over that on this forum, I'll bet he was.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 12,932 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Aye, nothing is impossible, and when all else fails, build it yourself.  You'll need to know your way around brushless motors and motor controllers, electric circuits a small bit and where to buy and craft parts, but building your own snowblower can be done.

Knowing EGO as I do, I would not be one bit surprised if they come out with a self-propelled snow blower sooner or later.  SCDC's famous want for an edger didn't get satisfied for a few years, then finally they come out with one and though I never saw him be happy as a clam over that on this forum, I'll bet he was.
Photo of J. G.

J. G.

• 1,584 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Joanne,
I am 75 years old, and can relate.  I purchased my Ego Snow Blower in Dec 2015 after an 8" snow storm, in consideration for my years.  Today, 17 Jan 2018, we finally got snow in the Piedmont of North Carolina, and I was able to use my snow blower for the first time.  (It turned 2 days of shoveling into 2 sessions of 45 minutes each, so I am happy, but . . . ) 

The speed lever on the snow blower is just like the one on my self-propelled 21" Ego mower, so I'm thinking the blower is self-propelled, but no.  Even though our 7" snow was light and fluffy, I had a heck of a time pushing the blower up my long driveway, especially on the first run.  I came to the Ego web site in search of a self-propelled blower, but was disappointed.  Then I saw your post.  Thanks for starting the thread.  I hope Ego releases a self-propelled snow blower before I croake.  Fingers crossed!
Photo of Joanne

Joanne

Keeping my fingers crossed too!   We both had the same storm.   Got 9 inches here in Hudson Valley, New York.   I would never have been able to push a snowblower through it.  Hope EGO comes out with one soon.     Hey Ego, I'd be glad to your elderly female tester for your self-propelled snowblower when you develope it.   :-)
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 8,738 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I RRRRREALLY RRRREALY hope they're working on a monster brushless motor 2 to 3 battery Self Propelled 2 Stage. I've been using their single stage here in Minnesota since last year, and it mostly has it's uses, 12-15" snow isn't one. I knew that buying it. But we haven't had a bad winter here in a while.

Some spots I had to blow were up to 24". Again I know that isn't what this was built for. I got the job done repeatedly ramming it into the snow, I'm feeling it today!

I have no problem maintaining gas but don't want to. So please EGO we need a SP monster brushless 2 stage snow blower!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 69,072 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
yea single stage blowers just aren't made for 20" but can still be useful.  I remember as a kid using our single stage Toro (last time I used a snow blower until this year).
When I would get to the big drifts or area where the plow left its gift, I would take a shovel and knock down the pile to create a manageable height of snow.  Blow that off the driveway and repeat on the next section of deep snow.  I took some time, but was still better than shoveling in full and worked a lot better than ramming the snow blower with a 12" tall mouth into a 20" deep pile of snow.
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 8,738 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I did some of that too. Took forever
Photo of Dennis

Dennis

• 282 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Ramming into deeper snow  is exactly to way I do it. This is how I did it with my old Toro 2 cycle, single stage snow blower; that was twenty years old when I decided to replace it with the Ego. One advantage of the Toro was that if the snow depth was less than the intake (about 12") it would somewhat self propel, because the rubber paddles directly touched the ground. The ego has a plastic shovel scoop that the  paddles reside in so it has no self propel assistance at all. I have an Ariens 2 stage 20" with the electric start Tecumseh  5hp snow king engine, very reliable; this I use for the deeper amounts of 8"+  and at the base of the driveway from the snowplow . I also generally use the  Ariens to clear out around the fire hydrant out front too. The good thing about about the Ego is that my wife can use it easily, whereas the Toro had a recoil pull start, which she had difficulty sometimes starting; she could never start the Arians with the recoil start and has difficulty with the electric start because of the choke and throttle requirements. It would be nice if Ego did come out with a self propelled 2 stage, so my wife can snow blow easier. 

Ohh, we live in a suburb of St Paul MN; so much snow is a given.  
Photo of Joanne

Joanne

I found that Snow Joe has a self-propelled snow blower.   I have no experience with Snow Joe.   Here's the URL so you can take a look.    https://www.snowjoe.com/products/snow-joe-ion8024-xrp-cordless-two-stage-snow-blower-24-inch-80-volt...
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Second, third, 20th! This has to be done. In mn too, and I could not manage more than 2 trips up and down our 200 ft driveway in our 10 inches of fairly compact snow here with higher drifts before I cried uncle. bad when the shovel is easier and faster. The machine was willing, but the body was too weak to push it.
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 8,718 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I'm in St Paul MN. Got over 14". I did my driveway about 2 cars wide 2 deep, 120ft of sidewalk, recharged batteries, did the neighbors 4 carling driveway and some more sidewalk. I am feeling tired today and looking at gas 2 stages haha.
Photo of Michael G

Michael G

• 7,128 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Erik - if EGO were to design the single stage to let the paddles make contact with the pavement like the single stage gas models this would drastically aid in pulling the machine forward. Just wondering would this make the battery life unacceptable?
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 8,718 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I have no idea, I would assume the resistance would put higher load on it causing more battery drain but that's just a guess. This thing is fine for snow falls under the height of the opening, as stated less then 11 or 10 inches or something like that.

It's been good for almost all snow falls in the 2 winters I've had it now until yesterday. I hope they heard us and are working on something for bigger snowfalls.
Photo of James Richard Deehr

James Richard Deehr

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled snow blower - single stage , self-propelled.

Keeping the lighter weight and smaller size of a single-stage blower would be great if possible.  Maybe these adjustments would work. I would be fun to try.
  1. make the auger height adjustable
    Keep it high to preserve battery when self-propel not needed (lighter snow, flatter surface). Lower it near surface when self-propel needed. Maybe the auger doesn't need to exactly contact the surface to do some propelling. Keep the scraper to clean the surface.

Gas single stage blowers with auger contacting pavement tend to vibrate a lot. With adjustability, the user can choose the best setting for the conditions.  

2. eliminate frontal surfaces inside and outside the auger cavity that push snow
    The frontal areas inside the cavity like at the lights and below, plus the auger bearing bulges, might be pushing snow which will resist forward motion. Two-stage blowers usually have a curved cavity with no frontal surfaces, so the cavity doesn't push snow unless the snow gets to the back of the cavity.

The drive side of the cavity has a belt and sprockets that make frontal space. Thin-as-possible dimensions on these could help? Putting this frontal space inside the cavity but after the auger has broken up the snow would help, but I'm not seeing a way to do that. Driving the auger from the middle instead of the side would eliminate this issue, maybe driving from the top of the cavity so something is not in the path of snow going into the chute. I don't know if you can drive this way as efficiently as belt-and-sprocket.

3. The combination of these and other's ideas might might do the job: a V-shaped scraper to avoid jolts from surface joints, scraper redesign to prevent it from digging in and resisting in stiff snow conditions, and something (shoes?) to set scraper height.
Photo of Brad Snyder

Brad Snyder

• 128 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have a 200 foot long sloped driveway that gets plenty of drifting (hard crusty snow).  We have had plenty of storms that have delivered around 20" of snow lately, and one storm of 36".  I need to buy a new two stage self propelled snow blower.  If Ego is within a year of delivering, I might be able to wait, but if not, I will need to buy another brand this fall.
Photo of Josef-Peter Roemer

Josef-Peter Roemer

• 148 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I also have  about a 200 foot driveway, paved but very steep, no way I could pull up a snow blower after I got down, I would peobably fall on my butt and break a wrist. I bought a EGO lawn mower about 1 1/2 year later they came out with a self propelled. So now I have two sitting in the shefd, the SP and older no SP. I dont want to do the same with the snow blower.
Photo of J. G.

J. G.

• 1,584 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I also posted a request for a self-propelled snow blower about a year to 2 ago. I am 75 years old now and am still hopeful we will get a SP blower before I croak. My driveway is 225 feet long at a 6% grade. It takes a lot of time and effort to get from the bottom to the road above. After that, the run down is much easier. After those 2 tracks are cleaned off, I pull the blower back up to the road using the cleaned tracks. Working on the down-slope, using gravity to good effect, I find it manageable. Unfortunately, the back, north-facing tarmac (2,482 sq.ft) in front of the 16'-wide garage door is relatively flat, so no gravity-effect to help. Cleaning the driveway is of no use without a clean tarmac, as I need it to get to the driveway.  I look forward to purchasing EGO's new self-propelled snow blower. SOON ! ! !
Photo of Joanne

Joanne

EGO are you out there.   I'm still willing to be your elderly female (now almost 69) to test out that self-propelled snowblower.   Hopefully it's now being developed and not just lurking on the "Under Consideration" list.   Bring it on - we're ready!
Photo of Prairiedog

Prairiedog

Yeah, I am thinking it ain't gonna happen. the call for an SP has been out for nearly two years now. Since they already have both technologies, a blower and SP, it shouldn't take this long to Frankenstein them together. All they have to do is design a blower chassis that can accomodate attaching the mower drive train to the snowblower wheels. If the fear is SP takes too much power, geeze, just sell it with extra batteries, I'd pay. Most of us have spares anyway from all our toys.
(Edited)
Photo of Ingrid Myckatyn

Ingrid Myckatyn

• 340 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Disappointed snowblower isn’t self propelled.

I sold my self propelled 24” gas 2 stage snowblower which I had only used once. Was a fabulous piece of equipment but too heavy for me to operate. I was elated to find the EGO. Ticks all the boxes, great reviews, interchangeable battery with the chainsaw I’ve been eyeballing as well and then... I noticed it’s NOT self propelled. I’ve had multiple back surgeries and finally figured out I can’t shovel or push any more, not that I mind. Pushing a snowblower sort of defeats the purpose IMO though I well imagine it certainly makes the task easier. So, I see EGO has a SP version “under consideration”. Any insight as to when there may be a release? This season yet or should I proceed and purchase a competitors products?
Photo of Paul Christenson

Paul Christenson

• 6,120 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Don't hold your breath for this season
Photo of Joanne

Joanne

If you do have to look at competitor products, look for a snowblower that has turn assist.   It helps alot.  I'm hoping EGO will not only make one that is self-propelled, but also has turn assist.    I would think if EGO is going to have a self-propelled for the 2018-2019 season, they would have announced it by now since December is just around the corner.
Photo of Joanne

Joanne

I'm afraid you are right Paul.   EGO will most likely not be coming out with a self-propelled with turning assist snowblower this year.   My self propelled gas snowblower has turning assist and it really makes a big difference.   EGO, are you reading these posts?   When will you come out with a self-propelled snowblower with turning assist????
Photo of James Walsh

James Walsh

• 278 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I also sold my 24" gas powered 2 stage snow blower...was really hoping Ego had a 2nd stage for use this season.  We already had 2 storms...and are expecting another >6" tonight...

I am hoping they eventually come out with a model comparable to a gas-powered model one - I do own and am impressed with the single stage that I use for my deck, but a steep driveway and snow off the roof is a non-starter for this little guy.  I would love a 3 stage or ice chopping feature!  Or the motor with interchangeable snowblower, pressure washer, chipper etc.  Please make more stuff so you can take my money!  And while you are at it, please bring the brush cutting attachment for the multi-tool to the states!
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 516 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
https://youtu.be/0M4hGO-snQs
This YouTube video shows how you can convert the string trimmer attachment to use brush cutter blades. Expand comments below video for details on parts needed.
Photo of Joanne

Joanne

Thanks for posting this.
Photo of James Walsh

James Walsh

Thanks - I have been considering it - but really wanted to use my 10% off HD coupon so I could use my regular trimmer and then just switch out to the brush cutter for the crazy stuff on my hill.
Photo of James Walsh

James Walsh

In other news, the storm gave us a good 8" of ridiculously heavy and wet snow.  First time I went through the batteries clearing everything, and it was jamming up a lot.  Would love a super-snowblower...maybe it can take 4 batteries but only needs 2 to run...would love enough power to pull me back up the driveway like my gas could, because under the crazy wet snow was ice.  Normally I wait for my plow guy, but wife had to get to work, so I fought my way up and down to clear tire paths
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

• 3,002 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Below information on gasoline three stage snow blowers that handle any kind of snow.
Below is a Cub Cadet 26 inch 3 stage snow blower.  I have the same in the Heavy duty model.  I have a lot of heavy wet snow in upstate New York from Lake Ontario lake effect.  Three stage snow blowers are great for this type of snow.  I never have snow get stuck in the chute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNsI4GVbQYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miQWxoUmJkg&t=81s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBMXzUfFpF8
Photo of Joanne

Joanne

Thanks for the info.   The gas one I have is good.   Just rather have a battery operated one, althoug that might not be good either because it can take me 1.5 hours to do my driveway, sidewalk and path for the oil man.   I can easily do that on a tankful of gas, but I don't know how long the batteries will last on a snow blower.   If they come out with a self-propelled, I'll wait for reviews, but as I said before I'd be glad to be a tester   :-)    
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

Joanne,
I already have an Ego snow blower.  I had it for two years.  Does not work with heavy, wet snow.  You'll hear a lot of people say they have no problem with heavy, wet snow with the Ego snow blower.  Do you think I would pay $1,500 for the Cub Cadet 3 stage snow blower, if the Ego snow blower could get the job done.  Just something for you to think about before you go out and buy one.  The Ego works great with the light fluffy snow no matter how much there is, but not with wet snow.  If you don't get wet snow, then the Ego would be fine.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 32,646 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Joanne, I am one of those who had success using my EGO snow blower in "wet snow" condition.  You can read my post I did from last Monday, when we had a SNOW / BLIZZARD snowstorm in Chicago.  You probably heard about it on the news - where both O'Hare & Midway airports cancelled a bunch of flights because of it.

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/first-big-snowstorm

I used to own a Sears Craftsman 26" Dual-Stage snow blower, but got tired of dealing with it.  I switched over to the EGO for my own personal preference of "ease & maintenance" free operation.  Since we don't get too many "wet & heavy" snowstorms where I live, I am willing to take a chance on this snow blower.

If you decide to get it, then you will have 90 days to return at Home Depot - it if it does not work out for you.  I am not here to convince you either way - just another perspective for you to reference.  Good luck with your "final" decision and let us know how it works out for you ... :-)
Photo of Joanne

Joanne

David - Thanks for your comment.   I am going to wait for a self-propelled.   I would never be able to do the snow without a self-propelled.   I live in the Northeast and we can get some pretty deep snow.    I have a  self-propelled Snapper with turn assist and with this blower I can keep going when my neighbors' blowers start to bog down.   In fact, I've bailed them out at times.    When EGO does get a self-propelled, then I will truly consider the EGO.    
(Edited)
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

Joanne,

Like I said before, you will hear from people saying that their Ego snow blowers can clear any type of snow.  If you're a person with common sense, please read the below information on how to choose the right type of snow blower and you can't go wrong.  Good Luck!

The choice between an electric, single, two, or three stage snow blower can be confusing. Here's how to find the one that best fits your abilities and the needs of your home.

To find your ideal match you need to consider your property size, typical snow accumulation and the benefits of each type of snow blower. Here's a great article about how snow throwers work.

Electric and Cordless Snow Blowers

For light-duty clearing of 2 to 4 inches of snow, a corded electric or cordless snow blower can be the best solution. These can be great for the young and old who simply do not want to shovel.

Single-Stage Snow Blowers

The single-stage snow blower is ideal for clearing sidewalks, walkways, and driveways from light to moderate snowfall. They are compact and lightweight which makes them more maneuverable, but in heavy and wet snow conditions they can bog down quickly and be ineffective.

If you only get occasional light snow and have a short driveway and path to clear, then a single-stage snow blower will be your best option. It takes up the least amount of storage space and is a step above shoveling.

Single-stage snow blower have a clearing width of 20 to 25 inches and range in cost from $300 to $700. Check out these models from Briggs and Stratton and Snow Joe.

Two-Stage Snow Blower

Two-stage snow blowers utilize two mechanisms to break-up heavy snow and propel it through a discharge chute. They can be significantly larger than single-stage snow throwers but they are much more capable of clearing large and heavy snowdrifts.

If you have a larger two car driveway that needs clearing and your area receives above average snowfall, then a two-stage snow thrower is a good choice. They take up more space so you'll need to find storage, but they are a necessity after a big storm blankets your home.

A two-stage snow blower has large wheels and high ground clearance so it's able to clear gravel and paths and uneven terrain much better than a single-stage blower. They are available in 24 to 45 inch clearing widths and range in price from $400 to over $2,000.

Husqvarna's highly rated two-stage snow blower is a great value and works in all snow conditions.

Three-Stage Snow Blower

The three-stage snow blower is targeted for more commercial use or for homeowners with very large property that they need to clear quickly. We checked out the mechanics of the Cub Cadet 3X snow thrower, which features oversize tires, headlight, and a monster chute for collecting snow. It's rated to clear snow 50 percent faster than a two-stage snow blower but you'll almost need a dedicated shed to store it come spring. Three-stage snow blower are available for $1,000 to $2,000.

Photo of Joanne

Joanne

Bill Menzel - thanks for your comments.   I have a self-propelled Snapper with turn assist which works well.   If EGO does come out with self-propelled and turn assist if it's a heavy blower, than I will have to decide what I will do.   I don't see that happening this year so I know my Snapper will get me through the year.  It's only 3 years old.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 4,752 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I think the moral of the story here is "get the mower that works best for you".  I don't think EGO's snow blower as a single-stage snow blower is going to work in every situation that a two-stage or three-stage mower snow blower handles well. On the other hand, I think for a single-stage the EGO is on top regardless if you're talking about another battery-powered snow blower or a gas single-stage. Joanne, is your Snapper single-stage or two-stage?
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 32,646 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Correction Bill, I never said my EGO snow blower can clear "any type" of snow.  My post CLEARLY STATED that it worked for me in Chicago in "wet / heavy snow" condition from last Monday.  Where did I say that it worked in any type of snow?
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

I don't see why EGO couldn't handle heavy snow well given the torque of an electric motor. I think I'd be more worried about hardened/compact snow events due to refreezing of the snow (comes down wet then temperature hits sub-freezing) or strong winds. That's where a third-stage would perform better than a single stage or two-stage. However, instead of buying a $1000-$2000 third-stage to deal with the super-tough events...I decided I'd rather use the EGO in most events and then hire out and have someone clear the driveway for me during the really significant events. I figure if I only need to call a snow removal service twice a season...I'm still saving a lot of money with the EGO compared to buying a very expensive large gas snow blower. 
Photo of Bill Menzel

Bill Menzel

I am sorry you guys, I must be senile and dreamed that I had an Ego snow blower.  There are different types of snow to remove and wet/heavy snow is the hardest because it will stick in the chute of the snow blower.   Because of my background as a retired Los Angeles Police Detective, I am a little cynical when people make claims that don't make much sense.  I guess you guys didn't read the buyer's guide that I posted.  The Ego has a lot of torque, but a single stage snow blower does not create enough acceleration to push wet, heavy snow out through the chute.  It uses paddles and not augers.  The Ego will work in most situations, but when I read people saying it can handle heavy/wet snow, I have to say something.   But I won't say anything more about the subject and everyone can go out and buy an Ego.  Don't need to reply, I stated my opinion and by the way, you guys would make great salesmen for Ego.....lol. 
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 8,698 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I’ve had to spray lubricant on my chute quite a few times to try to keep it from clogging I. Heavy/wet snow. Sometimes it works ok, sometimes not.
Photo of Joanne

Joanne

Thanks Bill.  Single stage would never do it here in the Northeast.   As I said in my one post, my Snapper keeps going when my neighbors have trouble.   I'm certainly not going to switch to anything that won't handle the snow now.   I'm far too old to have to shovel if it didn't work.
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

Bill, I think you misinterpreted me. I never claimed that EGO does well with wet snow...I just argue that most snow blowers in general have a difficult time with wet snow. I do think the EGO can do well with heavy snow (I disagree with your guide here) and maybe we have a different definition of heavy snow (I'm a former meteorologist). The definition of heavy snow has nothing to do with wetness (or oddly weight for that matter)...but snow amount of usually 6 inches or more.  This is where I think the EGO (and most single stage snow blowers) can do well as long as the height of the snow doesn't surpass the auger housing.

In general though, I am a little disappointed in how weak the snow chute is on the EGO. While, I like the handle on the chute I think the chute could have been made a little stronger.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob, Champion

• 62,096 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 5,144 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Anybody reading this thread that is considering buying the Snow Joe, my experience with Snow Joe’s Self-Propelled 80V Cordless Snow Blower (iON24SB) wasn't entirely positive. While it has what we're looking for (self-propelled, two-stage) it has a lot of caveats that goes with those features. Bottom line, while I give Snow Joe a lot of credit for trying...I'm glad I now have an EGO snow blower in my garage. I wouldn't recommend the Snow Joe at this time. Hopefully not breaking any forum rules here, but I wrote about my experience with the Snow Joe on one of my blogs: https://poweredbybattery.com/2018/11/28/my-first-battery-powered-snow-blower-was-a-snow-joe-two-stag...
(Edited)
Photo of Joanne

Joanne

Thanks for the info.   Good to know.
Photo of Joanne

Joanne

Hi Bryan - it's two stage.   

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.