Self Propelled Mower on works at slowest speed

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
My mower will only go at the slowest speed, have charged battery, couple different times, after push mowing my yard, still no matter where u have the knob set it will only go the slowest speed, which is a little to slow for my liking
Photo of Eric Willis

Eric Willis

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,078 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Eric, If you live in an area where you don’t cut the grass in the winter months I would wait until you no longer need the mower and then contact Ego Customer Service for repair instructions.

If you need the mower year-round, contact Ego right away and they’ll get you the information you need.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 108,456 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
What Blue said

1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).

Photo of kenhigg

kenhigg

• 370 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

If the unit is out of warranty and you feel up to a little diy you may try using a product called deoxit on the electrical contacts in question. Google deoxit, it's a pretty good product, we use it in airplane world. Of course EGO may not recommend this, maybe they will weigh in...

ken

Photo of Chris Chase

Chris Chase

• 822 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Take the cover off at the base of the handle area. I think it's 4 or 6 screws. Follow the wires out of the handle that go into the control board. There are a few but if I remember it's the one with 3 wires. Red, Black and blue. Unplug that and leave it unplugged. The mower should now work on the highest speed only. It beats the lowest speed. It's how I run mine now.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,078 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Got any pictures, Chris?
Photo of Howard Hoffman

Howard Hoffman

• 842 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Chris careful when you disassemble the handle there are springs that i almost lost one. My mower is stuck in the fast speed, and the mower is to fast if your grass is high or thick. Called Ego there sending me a new switch $20.00 shipped.
Photo of Irving Lamansky

Irving Lamansky

• 776 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Howard, was your mower still under warranty?  I have had my mower for less than two years and my first mowing this season was today.  I leave the switch on low in storage.  Today I engaged the self-propel and it started out in slow.  Moved the switch to high and no change.  Back and forth several times with no change.

I am a mechanic and an electrician.  My gut tells me to open up the switch case and check things out.  But I do not know if that would blow the warranty on the whole mower.  Don't you know that is about the time the motor would decide to go out!.

By the way, that photo above does show the potentiometer could use a good de-oxide treatment.