Self-Propel Mower not Propelling

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • In Progress
My Ego Self Propel Mower stopped propelling before 3 years old. So Far, it is almost 5 weeks and no contact from the Home Depot about this repair. I agree a mower that costs over $500 and only works for 3 years and it takes over a month for repair maybe more is NOT a good investment. EGO needs to resolve this 'repair' issue. I have had to pay to have my lawn cut for over a month now. Add that into the cost of this mower. I will not be purchasing any more EGO products until they can get a better handle on repairs.
Photo of Carol

Carol

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 72,352 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Give EGO CS a call because they want to get involved when the repair time goes into the 4th week. 
They can be reached at 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656) from 8:30AM - 8:00PM EST (Monday - Friday) & 10:00AM - 6:00PM EST (Saturday & Sunday).

Also, you can always get real-time updates on your mower's status by calling 1-855-284-3349. This is the number for Home Depot's warranty department, where associates can instantly search for and assist with your case. 
Photo of Carol

Carol

Thanks Oregon Mike, I did call this morning and they indicated it was repaired, but would take another 7-15 days before Home Depot would contact me.  They indicated I should call my home depot periodically to check.
Photo of ETB

ETB

• 208 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
 You've joined a very exclusive group, Carol. It is probably one of the most common EGO mower problems.

You're sentence above hit the nail on the head....."they indicated it was repaired, but would take another 7-15 days before Home Depot would contact me". That's exactly the problem Carol.

EGO wants to hear about service that takes longer than 4-weeks and their response is "wait another two weeks". How foolish would we be to purchase more products?

The products are great and in reality have minor problems. Yet, what should take an hour to repair (self-propel issue for example) now takes 6 to 8 weeks. That minor problem just became a major issue.

I have several EGO products but won't be buying another product or a $199 to $299 battery for a product, until the service issue is resolved. 

The solution proposed by some, of buying a mower and returning it, is a bit myopic. If it is true, it doesn't solve the problem nor drive any constructive behavior. HD's contract with EGO dictates how they can profitably provide service.  This would end up costing HD and in turn ends up costing all of us at the end of the day.

EGO needs to belly-up and offer either a weekly stipend for a mower rental or a temporary mower replacement while your mower is being repaired. I'll bet they would have a national product support plan together in no time.

Good luck.
Photo of Frank Woodbery

Frank Woodbery

• 4,236 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Some people here have adopted the "buy a new EGO mower at HD, but just as a loaner" policy when your EGO mower breaks. Then just return it to HD before the return window ends. If you buy on an HD credit card, you get a whole year to return with no questions asked. Until EGO and HD fixes this repair situation, it seems like a reasonable thing to do. 
Photo of Carol

Carol

Sure, why not spend another $500+ on another mower.   I think NOT Frank.   Thank you for your reply, but this is not an option.   If I did, it would be gas powered.   I need the self-propel option, as it is difficult for me to mow my entire lawn pushing.    However, I like the exercise I get walking, so that is another reason I purchased the EGO mower.   Again, I appreciate you reply.  Like I said, add the month cost of mowing my lawn by a service because I could not get the mower back in a reasonable time frame.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 72,352 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
But you're not really spending another $500 because you will return it during the return window and get all your money back. 
Anyway, give EGO CS a call and give Home Depot a call at those numbers I posted.
(Edited)
Photo of russell

russell

• 60 Points
Mine stopped working after 2 years. The blade would not turn although the self propelled function did. I brought the mower and battery to HD and after 6+ weeks it was returned “repaired” but with no battery. The battery compartment top was scratched and gouged and the right front wheel now wobbles. It was a $5 switch issue. I wish Ego would authorize other repair centers! HD, to their credit, did provide a small Ego battery for me until my 7.5 A/hr is returned.