Self Propel on 21" LM2100SP mower after 4 months.

• Problem
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

I've owned my 21" self propelled mower since May of 2017 and had been happily mowing my lawn (about 3 battery charge cycles a week) since then. Yesterday (Aug 30th) the self propel motor stopped working (the mower blade still spins, and I finished up my yard using it as a push mower, which made me appreciate the self propel feature even more...). I tried letting it sit while I charged the battery, but it's dead.

I called technical support around 5pm ET, and after 20 minutes on hold I reached Christina at EGO, who said she put a note "in my account" and directed me to take the mower to Home Depot for warranty service. She didn't mention the 20$ HD deposit up front, but knew about it when I asked. After the phone call I received a survey link with a "case closed" notice. (Apparently the "case" is just me talking to them on the phone and being sent to Home Depot.)

I called around to several home depots near me (not all of them have the tool rental & repair departments) and dropped it off today. They collected my $20 deposit, informed me I'm on the hook for the first $100 of repairs (if it will be more than that they will call me) if the problem is not covered under Warranty. (I assume it will be, as I have it properly registered, etc...)

The really annoying bit is that their "average" time to service is 2-4 weeks for an in-store repair, and it goes up to 6-8 weeks if they have to ship it to some other facility for repair. So, I either have to hire a lawn company for 2-8+ weeks, or buy/borrow a temporary mower.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 2,930 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 139,520 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
This makes no sense... especially since you made sure to drop it where the repairs will take place.

If you allow a day or two in the cue, a day for diagnosis and parts ordering, a few days to get parts and another day to do the repair, I don't see why they can't have it ready to pick up in less than two weeks?
Photo of summetj

summetj

I have considered buying a 2nd mower and battery package (perhaps if they have a special for labor day) just so that I'd have a 2nd battery and be able to mow the whole lawn without pauses for charging. Having a "hot spare" mower would also be nice, except for the extra room it would take up. However, the wife rightfully points out that buying a second copy of a product because the first one broke in 4 months isn't exactly logical.
Photo of Tom Jacques

Tom Jacques

• 794 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
What's the status of the first mower? Has it been repaired?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 139,520 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Maybe your wife is worried that a second mower will mean she's out cutting the grass with you? :-D
Photo of summetj

summetj

Tom: I dropped off the first mower on Thursday (yesterday) so I suspect it has not yet been repaired.
(Edited)
Photo of summetj

summetj

Update: The tech at Home Depot looked at my mower and called me. Apparently I was supposed to provide my battery with the mower, and they don't have one of their own to test it with.  So I will be driving my battery over to HD tomorrow (Sep 5th). On the plus side, somebody actually tried to look at the mower after only a few days.
Photo of summetj

summetj

Three week update: I called Home Depot to get a status update, and the first guy I talked with said the computer said it was "waiting for approval" and handed me off to another guy who said that they were still working on it, but felt that they could repair it in-house without having to ship it to Atlanta.  [we have had a hurricane in the middle of all this, so I figure that probably stopped all repair work at Home Depot for a week....]
Photo of Brent W

Brent W

• 74 Points
I also had my second EGO self propelled unit fail.  The first one lasted about 2 months and was returned to the home depot.  The second EGO self propelled drive fail about a year later.  
Photo of Brandon Shermer

Brandon Shermer

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have problems with my mower too. I have no clue where the receipt is. I am really starting to doubt EGO's reliability. I have all there latest products except the brushless mower (have original old style). The mower will randomly stop propelling, the 7.5 battery randomly red lights out, the 2.5 works great. And to boot a new battery is the cost of a gas mower... I may just make the switch and sell out. Sorry Ego, I tried.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 138,998 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If you're coming into an off-season for grass cutting it would be worth getting Ego Customer Service involved and perhaps getting your mower fixed and/or your battery replaced. The battery should be easy to diagnose if your 2.5Ah works properly in the same tool.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 54,124 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Blue is right, Brandon. Please give Customer Service a call. They really are here to help and they might be able to resolve your issue over the phone.
Photo of summetj

summetj

Week 4 update: When I called HD today (Sep 25th, 2017) they said the repair was "in progress" and they were waiting for a part. (Which usually took about a week to arrive.)
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 54,124 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
We looked into your case and the parts are scheduled to arrive in the next day or two. This means your repair should be completed this week. :-) 
Photo of summetj

summetj

That's good to hear, hopefully HD is able to install it quickly (and that part fixes the problem), thanks for the update.
Photo of summetj

summetj

October 2nd update: When I called Home Depot today they said that they were still waiting on a part (motor & gearbox assembly) and that it had been put on backorder, so apparently they did not receive the part you shipped.
Photo of Mcguyver Dobbins

Mcguyver Dobbins

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have a similar problem.  5 weeks after dropping my mower off at HD it has yet to arrive at the repair center and they told me that they won't take any action until it's been missing for 8 weeks.  Then they said it would take 2-4 weeks to repair and 3 weeks to ship back to the store.  So up to up to 15 weeks before I might get my mower back.
(Edited)
Photo of summetj

summetj

I have my mower back! Home depot called me late on Thursday night (Oct 5th, 2017) to say it was ready to pickup. I didn't actually get it until Saturday, but everything is working again (at least for the 5 foot self propelled test I did in the store).  They did refund my $20 deposit as the repair was covered under the EGO warranty.

All together, it was at the store just slightly over 4 weeks, and I paid $180 for lawncare during that time. (But, I got a break from having to mow my own lawn..bonus?)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 139,028 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Either way, at least the issue has been resolved. :-)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 42,238 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Good to here you are back up and running, hopefully it is for a good long time.
Photo of summetj

summetj

FYI - The original title of this post was "Self Propel motor failure on 21" LM2100SP mower after 4 months." but apparently somebody has edited (censored) my title to take out the "motor failure" keywords.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.