How do I remove my safety key?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I have had no problems with the lawn mover so far but after inserting the safety key to use the mover the first time I have bee unable to remove the key.  I hate to use to much force to remove it as it may break.  Is there a trick to remove the safety key?
Photo of John

John

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Sharon Beasley

Sharon Beasley

• 1,872 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
That is odd.  Mine is very easy to insert and remove although I mostly leave it inserted.  Their customer service rep. will likely respond to you pretty soon and you will be helped.
Photo of John

John

Thanks I though it odd also, at least I won't loose it this way.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
That's a strange one for us too! Perhaps there's debris in the key opening that's causing the key to stick? Our recommended option is to give us a call and try to work on getting it out while on the phone with us. On the unfortunate chance that the key does break, we can get you a replacement right away. We can be reached at 1-855-346-5656.
Photo of John

John

Gave it another try with a little extra tug and it came out with no problems.  Thanks for the responses.
Photo of Chris Fay

Chris Fay

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have a new LM2102E-SP and I have the very same problem, however no amount of little extra tugs  are budging this sucker. I think I could lift the mower with a block and tackle using this the key as a lifting eye. I have tried levering it with a screwdriver shank, just to see if it might have been a bit tight being new, but no way it should be this hard to remove? It looks to be about half removed after my efforts and can be wriggled side to side, but won't move up the splines anymore, and being a brand new mower, don't want to cause expensive damage. I tried to put the key all the way back in too, but it doesn't want to move either way. Lucky the mower still starts, so must still have a good connection.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,508 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Remove?  Remove what?  The green button you push before you pull back the bale thingy?

As far as I remember, my mower cam with it in place and it's never been removed.  I just tried and it doesn't come out - it is supposed to?

HUH?
Photo of Erik

Erik

• 10,396 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Yes it’s supposed to be removable. According to egos video, but it’s from 2016 https://youtu.be/VLvONHvGizg
(Edited)
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,508 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

I think I know what the key is, but mine doesn't seem removable - I even tried (gently) a knife and it doesn't come up and out of there...

Photo of Chris Fay

Chris Fay

My key is a two 9 (male) pronged key and it fits adjacent to the battery release button under the battery cover.
Manual says before maintenance ensure the battery and safety key are removed.
I got my key out, but it has damaged the key, leaving bits of the key still in the female terminal on the mower. I can still insert the key back, and though damaged, it still does run, thank goodness.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,490 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
The key used to be removable as a safety measure, like a car key.
Now it is just a button that is not removable.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Chris, can you upload some pictures that show what you’re looking at? I just had a look through the manual and don’t see a reference to a key. Here’s the start of the Maintenance section, which only mentions removing the battery:

Here’s the manual for your reference:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/026...
Photo of Chris Fay

Chris Fay

I couldn't manage to upload pics as I'd wanted too, however I have since contacted Ego Support and they promptly sent me a new safety key, and it goes in an out without problems, so I think I might have had a bad key.