Safe to store batteries outside under tarp?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I just bought the 21" mower. I don't have a shed, nor can I store the mower inside my home. If I put a tarp or cover on it and bring the batteries inside, is the mower going to be damaged? I live in the Philadelphia area, so we get plenty of rain and snow.
Photo of Blair Bendler

Blair Bendler

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Sharon Beasley

Sharon Beasley

• 1,872 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
If you put a sturdy tarp over it and keep the battery indoors, I think it will be fine. I always remove the battery to bring inside to put back on the charger anyway.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Blair, that's a tricky question.  In theory, yes, you can store the mower outdoors under a tarp (be sure to keep the battery and charger indoors).  We just don't feel comfortable recommending long term storage outside just because of the wear and tear that the elements could put on the mower.  You know the mower folds up to a small compact size?  We're just making sure. :)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
And by compact size, Jennifer means this:

When upright it takes almost no room at all.
Photo of Blair Bendler

Blair Bendler

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
The big problem is that I'd have to take it up and down a flight of rickety old stairs to get it into my basement. I'm not sure I can do that every time I want to mow the lawn. I can certainly store it down there in the winter though.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,518 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Blair,

The way I see it, there are problems with only putting a tarp over it.  Water will splash and run under the mower, dew and condensation, and moisture will constantly be an issue.  If you can find a way to tarp it on top of something that will allow dry air under the mower and prevent water splash up, then it might be ok.  Something like a wooden pallet.  

I don't see any lawn mower holding up well, constantly exposed, even while under a tarp.  A gas mower would fare worse.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If you have space to store it outside, perhaps you could get something like this?

4 ft. x 2 ft. Woodland Store-it-Out Midi Resin Shed
http://thd.co/1WLqrW8

Not as cheap as a tarp, but probably a better long-term solution to protect your investment.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,518 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
David,

That's a very good idea.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Or if you have other outside tools to store and have room for a full-size storage shed, the Ego mower tucks away quite nicely in the corner.

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Just for reference, what size is that shed?
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

High Store 4.6 ft. x 2.5 ft. x 5.10 ft. Resin Vertical Storage Shed
http://thd.co/1UjDxsd
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
If you want to keep it inexpensive, I've seen large bags with draw strings that could easily fit over your mower when folded.

You could also have a cover custom made? Think a car cover but much smaller.

Just keep it up off the dirt. A pallet or concrete slab.
Photo of Tom Austin

Tom Austin

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I have a nice shed, 8 feet by 12 feet.
My wife is anxious about fires in lithium batteries.
She wants me to put the battery for the mower in the shed.
Is this advisable?
Thanks,
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,612 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Lithium batteries have gotten a bad rap from a couple of bad incidences: Tesla vehicles catching fire, and Samsung Galaxy phones.  There have been no reports of any Ego batteries, tools or chargers catching fire.  If your wife insists on storing the Ego batteries outside, then you should put ALL Li-Ion battery powered products out there too.

You want to keep them in a cool and dry area; which may not be the case in an outdoor non-climate controlled shed.  You run the risk of degrading the battery life by storing this way.  If you absolutely have to, I would get a low-cost cooler, and put the batteries in the cooler, then store them in your shed.  Also, make sure you allow the battery to cool to ambient/room temperature before storing them in said cooler; you definitely don't want to take it straight from the charger and bake them in the cooler.
(Edited)
Photo of Tom Austin

Tom Austin

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Good idea re cooler to moderate temperatures, something like a coleman camping cooler, right?
BTW -- It's not just phones and Teslas. It's also 787's (which are wonderful machines and even better now that they've dealt with the battery fire issue...)  And the airlines ban any sizable lithium ion batteries from their cargo holds too, so I can't tell my wife she's overly cautious.  :)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The cooler is a great idea for storage in a hot shed!

Yes, lithium batteries have gotten a bad reputation based on high publicity of a low case count. I'd say there's a better chance of your cell phone catching fire than an Ego battery, statistically anyway.