Run time is shorter than advertized.

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Duplicate

I have the Ego 56V blower, with 5.0 battery. Run time has been shorter than advertised. The indicator doesn't stay green for very long, and I'm running on a red indicator for most of the run time.  Is this typical?  Could I have a defective battery?
Photo of Ray Akers

Ray Akers

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The light turns red when the battery reaches 15%. What kind of runtime are you getting up to that point? And which blower do you have? Ego makes several.
Photo of Ray Akers

Ray Akers

I have the LB5754 model.  I believe its the largest blower (not including the backpack blower).  It runs for maybe 10 minutes max on green, then switches to red and stays red, never flashes red, and then quits automatically.  It's brand new and I've only been using it for about a week.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I have that blower and that does seem a little short, even if you're running on high speed the whole time. How much longer does it run on red?
Photo of Ray Akers

Ray Akers

Seems like the blower is running on 'red' for most of the time?  I haven't timed the running time, but I'm sure it's not longer than 20 minutes.  Probably about 15-20 minutes, at the higher setting.  What's the norm for operation at full-speed, full-time?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
From the manual:

If you’re getting 15-20 minutes of use when continuously running at the highest speed, it’s probably working as designed.

You should try setting the speed just slightly lower than max and see if the blower still has adequate power to do the job. Reducing the speed even slightly should have a significant affect on the run time.
Photo of Ray Akers

Ray Akers

That's helpful advice.  Thanks.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Any time, Ray!
Photo of gregrapp

gregrapp

• 322 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I just got the 530 CFM blower and used it for the first time over the weekend.  I didn't time it but was surprised how quickly the battery light went red, but then I still got a fair amount of time running it while in the red zone.  Overall the battery life seems pretty short, especially compared to the run time I get from the mower (7.5A battery) and trimmer (another 2.5A battery).  Of course I was running it in turbo mode pretty much the entire time.  Thinking I may upgrade to the backpack, then I can use the 7.5A battery on it w/out breaking my arm and have two big batteries to use (7.5A plus the 5A that comes with the backpack model).
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 104,490 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
If you insist on turbo, you will not get a whole lot of run time from any blower.
The back back specs with the 5.0 are
15 min. (Boost)
22 min. (High speed)
120 min. (Low speed)
The 7.5 would give you approx 50% additional time.

Try using the blower at medium to high speed with bursts of turbo/boost and you will get much longer run time.
Photo of gregrapp

gregrapp

I tried various speeds, the leaves were wet and there was a ton of 'em, really needed turbo to get them moving.  Turbo worked great but I guess I need to modify my expectations for run time if I am using it exclusively.  Still think I will trade up to the backpack so I can easily use the bigger batteries.
Photo of Ray Akers

Ray Akers

I had the same thought...about upgrading to the backpack model.  I wish I'd seen the reviews about battery life before buying the 575 blower.
Photo of gregrapp

gregrapp

At this point the only thing I'm wavering about (since I'm w/in the return period for the one I bought) is that for small jobs the backpack model is overkill ... may not feel like hassling with it where it would be easy to break out the smaller one.   However, given my primary need is moving a LOT of leaves probably at least two times every fall, I think the backpack model may be required.  I'll let you know how it goes if I get it.
Photo of Sam Binder

Sam Binder

• 60 Points
Just got the blower. Am very happy with the power output, but only getting 9 minutes runtime in turbo mode. This is a problem as I have a fairly large area to clean. I'm thinking returning it as this may not be adequate for my needs.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 70,460 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Are you sure you need to run in turbo mode? Many here have pointed out that they really don't feel the need to use turbo mode since the other modes seem to provide enough power to get the job done.
Photo of gregrapp

gregrapp

I find I need turbo mode if the pile gets big - regular mode just won't move it (and sometimes I need to move the pile instead of just picking up there).  Also, regular mode doesn't work to get leaves that are stuck under bushes, trapped in a corner against a fence, etc.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Even just limiting turbo to bursts with the blower set on 3/4 speed can handle most situations and greatly increase your run time.  
Photo of gregrapp

gregrapp

Good point, hadn't thought to try turning down the blower speed then use turbo.  I'll give that a shot.
Photo of Pongajim

Pongajim

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just take the 7.5 A battery from the mower and all's well even at full speed.
Photo of gregrapp

gregrapp

I was thinking about doing this but then decided I don't want to drain the big expensive 7.5 battery that fast - given that we basically get a fixed number of charges out of these, I want to make the big boy last as long as possible!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Use my batteries and tools as warranted to get the jobs done.  I will not abuse them, but if I have to baby them then what is the point.  These are yard tools not surgical instruments.  If they do not hold up to the required work loads of an average homeowner then they will not deserve repeat business when they die at an early date.  I fully expect my Ego tools and batteries to perform as I need them for many years.  I do no intend to baby them in order to be happy with them in 5 - 10 years. 
Photo of gregrapp

gregrapp

IDK, that 7.5A batter is hella spendy.  I'll use the tools when I need them but saving the 7.5 for the mower seems reasonable to me.  Anyway the 5A battery that came w/the backpack blower is doing the job for me so far.  I need to learn how to maximize the battery life on that battery to get me thru the job so I don't have to use the big boy.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Agree there is certainly a learning curve with new tools and a new operating system, especially with the blowers.  When you have a gas or plug in might as well just run full throttle full time.  A little learning and throttle reduction go a long way with a battery powered blower.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.