Run time for brush cutter on 2.5ah battery

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
I've had the 15 string trimmer with a 2.5ah battery for just under 2years now, and it has really good run time, same as documented 45min.  

This product made me a big fan of EGO. 

I decided to expand my EGO set by getting the power head + pole saw + hedge kit which comes with a 2.5ah battery, and also got the brush cutter attachment. At time of purchase I confirmed run time for the brush cutter on 2.5ah as 27min which was low but ok as I have 2 other 2.5ah batteries.

I tested the brush cutter using the new and old(er) 2.5ah batteries and even on very low load, cutting 6" grass on a slope not accessible by my mower the powerhead+brush cutter would do the following:
- battery 1 stops after 2min with battery is flashing orange
- switch to battery 2, and same result after 2min, flashing orange
- switch back to battery 1, get 7-9min run time before flashing red
- battery 1 stops after 2-3min more run time then full red
- switch to battery 2, same result 7min till flashing red, then 2min to full red

So there are 2 problems here:
1) the full run time is only ~ 12min with very load load and moderate temp (advertised as 27min)
2) the initial stop with orange flashing

Settup / Enviromental:
- power head speed = 2
- Temperature for tests was 17degC / 63degF. 
- grass being cut is 6" tall hollow mounds of grass, very low load. This is hard to explain, the lumps of grass are from having horses, and the grass grows over their waste, but becomes hollow. 

Photo of Adam

Adam

• 304 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Adam, the power head may be defective; had similar experience with the pole saw attachment. Home Depot exchanged it for another power head that hasn't done that.
Photo of Sunder

Sunder

• 342 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Whenever the brush cutter faces resistance such as hitting a rock or a clump of moist soil the motor faces resistance which severely drains the battery amperage as the motor tries to continue to rotate but can't.
Photo of Adam

Adam

@william thanks I'll get it back to Mitre10 (NZ version of Home Depot) see if they can replace it. 

@sunder good point on hitting rocks or soil. I was careful in the tests to only cut the grass.
Photo of Adam

Adam

Spoke to Mitre10 they'll send the tools back to EGO for a checkup

What run time is everyone else getting on a powerhead+brushcuter+2.5ah ?
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Depends upon the load; my use is generally not a lengthy task. Nothing like what you're doing. Because my use is short bursts, I can use a 5.0 Ah battery without it getting heavy. When I use either the pole saw or brush cutter, I cut a few limbs, saplings, etc., sit it down to moved the cut piece out and into a chipper. During the pause, the battery cools/recovers and last longer i think. Non-stop use on heavy grass/weeds certainly could drain a 2 5 Ah battery quicker. Sounds like you may consider the back pack link with a much higher Ah battery for such work.