Reviews are meaning less and less to me

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not a Problem

You know, new product reviews for all types of products are great, but what they don't put into account for is product history.  How is the product performing 1 year down the road, 2 years.  I would love to see reviews done on products that have been in use for 1 year.  Line them up and put them through their paces.  Are they still performing as they should?  What problems with the build quality are starting to rear their ugly head?  What issues during use have been the most annoying?  You know, stuff that matters to all of us.

I was just thinking about this after buying a used car.  :)

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,608 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
  • curious

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Oleg Obukhov

Oleg Obukhov

• 1,288 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Well, I've been using my self-propelled mower for a year now.. Here's my thoughts:

Cons:
  1. I might be just picky, but it looks to me like my mower started vibrating more. I'm a real example of OCD so I clean my mower's deck with scrapper and dump cloth after each mowing. I also use my compressor to blow off all the clippings and dirt off the mower itself. I clean and sharpen my blade at least once every three weeks and yet I still feel vibration.
  2. Mulching: while it's not bad but for a price point it should definitely be much better. When you cut less than 1/3 of the grass' blade - it's OK, but once you start cutting longer grass - that's where you have to either go over clippings twice or use blower. I think that's what EGO has to improve next.
  3. Handle locking clamps went loose and mower would shut down. The issue was quickly resolved though by calling CS and getting spare clamps.
  4. Plastic cover on quick adjust lever got loose and was lost. I'm currently trying to reach out to CS to see if I could buy a spare plastic cover.
Pros:
  1. Still silent as hell.
  2. Still compact as hell.
  3. Battery life is still good.
  4. CS responsiveness and willingness to help customers is good.
  5. Wheels are still in good condition (you have to maintain them, obviously).
Overall it was still a good purchase.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Oleg, if you have vibrations coming from the mower there's a good chance your blade is unbalanced. You should check your blade balance very carefully the next time you sharpen it and correct if necessary.

If that doesn't work try a new blade.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yeah, that's the first thing that jumped to mind.  Or, if it isn't the blade, maybe something hard was hit to slightly bend the shaft.  Either way, changing to a new blade should be the first recourse.
Photo of Oleg Obukhov

Oleg Obukhov

Well, that was the first thing that came to my mind as well. That's why I bought Universal Blade Sharpening Kit for Mower Blades from Home Depot which includes balancer. After each sharpening I'm making sure my blade is perfectly balanced out. I even bought a brand new blade - still the same result :)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Hi Oleg,

Have you ever hit anything firm enough to cause the overload to kick in, or the mower to stop?  I'm a member of the "Hit the stump" club and I ruined a mower that way.  Well, I can still use it but it vibrates like crazy.  It's good for fall leaf mulching.

Photo of Oleg Obukhov

Oleg Obukhov

I don't have any stomps on my property and my yard is pretty leveled up - no uphills or downhills. I might have hit occasional branch from the pine tree but that's about it.

Just to be on a safe side I'm going to buy one more blade at HD tonight again (I already have two). I will also do a test and try to run the mower with no blade at all just to see if vibration persists.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

You can also double check the balance of the blade by placing it on a small round object like a pen or round pencil and work the object back and forth to verify the exact center of the blade's weight.

I'm not sure how your balancer works, but I am not comfortable using the common method of hanging the blade from a screw or nail... the blade never seems to rest completely free in the perfect middle of the hole.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,586 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You need to check the run-out of the shaft while you have the blade off. If you don't have a dial gauge you can use a piece of wire (coat hanger would work well) and use one of the mounting bolts or a clamp/vise grips to attach the wire. Then bend the wire to the shaft flange and spin the shaft by hand. Crude but if the shaft is bent you will see the run-out.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I was thinking dial indicator as well, but with a plastic deck there would be nowhere to stick it if it's a mag base.

Coat hanger wire would highlight the problem if there is one.
Photo of Oleg Obukhov

Oleg Obukhov

New blade, completely clean deck (see the picture below), no visible damage on the shaft and still a tiny vibration. I think I'll send it to Service Center this winter.

Another question I have - is rear wheel axle suppose to be loose like that: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42823687/2016-07-26%2017.55.43.mov

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I'll take a look at mine and see.  I know a certain amount of play is desired to prevent friction.
Photo of DavidH

DavidH

• 1,814 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • As the Ego products mature, I think it is also important to discuss Service for these products. If you cannot get your Ego product back in service, especially in the peak "growing season" then your investment/value of your purchase has greatly diminished, and definetly has impact on how the brand is assessed and reviewed.
  • To me service is just as important as the Purchase. Even with Ego's great Warranty, if you cannot get the product serviced in a "reasonable" about of time, this is a reflection on the value of the brand.
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Since I repair all my own equipment having access to parts and tech manuals is important to me. I just don't trust others to work on my equipment.
For others not having a reliable fast repair network is definitely a negative.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Agree 120%. In most cases I would rather pay out of pocket for the parts and fix something myself than send it in for warranty repair, though that's based on several bad experiences with car dealerships and their mechanics.

I would think a mower repair is so straight forward any tech of reasonable competency could handle it no problem. Turnaround time would be the bigger issue... two weeks or less would be acceptable I would think, and would only put someone out for 2-3 mows.

I certainly wouldn't want to be without my mower for two months.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I would like to see parts available for in home repair.  Wonder if EGO could ever contract a service company for something like that.  Repair on the spot, a Van with all parts necessary for any given repair.  One person could cover a rather large region.   

We have some plumbers that never have to leave the driveway.  They have a truck fully stocked with absolutely everything needed to literally build a home.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
They already have the van, and some guy named Barnaby. :-)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.