Review****New 21-inch Self-Propelled Lawn Mower (LM2102SP)**** Review

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

4/5 stars

I would have loved to give this new improved mower 5 stars but it is failing in one critical aspect...it is mulching poorly. This is an important feature of the way we care for lawns as mulching provides many positive benefits for a healthier lawn. I can't understand why this mower is not able to mulch as effectively as the previous model. From the first cut on dry grass only cutting off 1/2" - 1" I found the clippings building up on a row on the left side of the mower on the top of the grass. I have re-sharpened the blade to no avail. It seems that the change in the decks underside shape has effected the mulching dynamics.

We have a second SP mower coming this week and I look forward to seeing if it produces the same or better results.

Please let me know if others are having a similar problem or any ideas how this can be corrected.

Now for the good news...this mower looks like it is built to last with it's much heavier duty construction. We look forward to seeing how it stands up to 25-30 hrs/week of operation. The longer lasting battery is great, added height adjustments are nice and the self propelled feature is very helpful. There is no question that this new model is much improved over the last and should provide a longer life of service for our business needs.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,194 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Wow Steve, I'm surprised by the mulching issue.  You are probably the first person I've heard with a mulching issue.  We've had more than one report now of people forgetting to remove the mulching plug before heading out to bag their lawn, only to mow for some time and find an empty grass bag.

Hopefully this is an anomaly of some sort!

Keep us up to date with the performance of your first mower as well as how the second mower stacks up.  Really dumb question... was the mulching insert installed?  I know, I know.  I'm just wondering why a strip of grass trimmings would show up along one side of the cutting path?

Either way, thanks for the review!  It's comforting to hear the build appears to be up to your commercial standards.  Hopefully it lasts well for you and your crew.

Also nice to hear that the mower is available in Canada now!  :-)
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Thanks for your comments. The mulching plug is definitely installed correctly and I have checked for other issues. It's really surprising to have this problem. We are constantly having to blow piled up clippings on the lawn which is a real drag. As a result we have actually been bagging a lot more.

I ordered this unit online and picked up this mower in Bellingham Wa. and the next day I was able to order one online in Canada for home delivery. It's been 17 days but it's suppose to arrive here today. So I will be able to provide an update at the end of the week about the performance of #2.

Here's hoping for better mulching :-)
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Does it leave the trail regardless of walking speed?

Since the mower has enough vacuum to cleanly toss all the debris to the back of the bag (for me).

And with the plug there is no airflow and vacuum (blade and deck design to toss clippings up and drop them down evenly when small enough) ... The problem might be resolved in two ways (assuming your mower is functioning as designed).

1st is to walk slower or not as fast. Gives time for the clippings to get cut up and fall normally... without the overloading.

2nd is for Ego to release a redesigned blade with a curve that will keep throwing the grass up more aggressively so it gets cut into finer pieces and fall normally.

PS: I have a Lawn-Boy with a Honda engine that didn't mulch well with thick grass (I had to rake afterwards in those cases). My other solution was to mow more often or walk slower. This mower even had protrusions attached to the bottom of the deck to supposedly toss the clippings back down to the blade to get re-cut to smaller pieces.

So I think mulching is not always an option even with gas mowers designed for it.

PS, PS : Ego push and Self-Propelled models topped Consumer Reports ratings against all others. And rated better than average for mulching.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Hmm... I don't have the mulching plug and did not engineer this mower so like my comments on a redesigned blade... this is also just a thought.

Redesign the mulching plug.. Maybe the plug is throwing the grass back down against the blade too aggressively at it's location (or shortly after its location.

A plug that doesn't toss the cuttings so aggressively downward would allow them to fall down more or less on their own (and more evenly)?

(still assuming there are no other complications with your mower l
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,658 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You know, looking at the consumer reports on electric mowers, the EGO had some of the best marks in regards to mulching.  I think this is just a thing with Electric mowers using the most efficient blade they can get their hands on.  

I remember seeing one mower with a gap in the front that allowed for "re-mulching" by letting the blades fall in front of the blade for a second cutting.  

I'm not thrilled with the mulching performance, but it isn't bad!  On dry grass, it's quite good.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

KR, the 21" mowers do include a mulching plug.

It's the side discharge chute that's not included in the box. That is available free of charge if you request it when registering your new mower.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Ahhh... You are right, now that I think of it. I'm not home to check it out. Travel a lot and all. Thanks!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Np :-)
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

What seems odd to me is that the old Ego 20" mower mulched just fine. We never considered it a problem. I will evaluate if walking speed is a factor or not.

Thanks for your input.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

• 9,440 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I'm wondering if the fact that the new 21" RPM is noticeably slower than the old 20" has anything to do with the mulching performance?
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

I'm wondering if the fact that the new 21" RPM is noticeably slower than the old 20" has anything to do with the mulching performance?
Photo of Luis Luna

Luis Luna

• 172 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I also have mulching issues. I was going to take my LM2100SP back but I decided against because of all the other positives I saw in it. I might be swapping out blade for an aftermarket one. This is my first EGO mower so I can't compare the RPM's, but low RPM's can be an issue with poor mulching. .
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I haven't researched it personally but it has been mentioned several times that the rpms were lowered on the 21 inch vs. The 20. Yes, that could be why the 20 cuts better....at least on my lawn.
Photo of mowoman

mowoman

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
My new mower also leaves strips of mowed grass to the side of the mower. The mulch isn't as good as I had hoped.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

UPDATE...We have used the 2nd mower this week and found the mulching still to be a problem. Debris collects along the left side of the mower on top of the grass. I have checked that the mulching plug is in properly, sharp blade, and walking speed does not make a difference. I am talking about cutting only 1/2 - 1 " of grass at a time as well.  Maybe it does come down to the slower blade RPM. Seems like a design flaw. I am very disappointed and perplexed.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@Steve Valdes: can you please report where you are located in the world (if in the US, which state) and what type of grass you are attempting to cut with the SP 21"?

I'm in Michigan cutting Kentucky Bluegrass and Perennial Rye and I'm not experiencing this issue with the 21" SP, although I did with the standard 21"...
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The rpm for a rotary mower is regulated by some institute. See image.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Nice one Jacob!  that's the ASI standard.  They have standards for about everything!  That was an interesting catch!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Yes, nice catch Jacob!

However, it would seem neither Ego mower is limited by the rules:

20"

21"

Perhaps the limit could be an issue for the 21" mower when it speeds up in heavier grass, but I don't think that would hurt its overall performance?
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

I bet the mulching performance would be great if the maximum blade tip speed was closer to the 3454 rpm to achieve the 19,000 ft/min. I would be willing to sacrifice some run time to achieve better mulching results.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

I would as well, especially seeing as how I own 2 of the 7.5 amp batteries.  Wanted to have a second on hand so when the snow blower drops this fall, I'll be ready to go!  ;)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

This means that Ego was more forced to decrease the rpm for the 21"mower. However, this is a good reason for them to make me a 39" self propelled mower ; ) dual 20" blades, 1" overlap
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Great idea for a dual blade mower. I think 30" would do the trick for my use.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

How does this mean they were "forced"?  The recommendation above clearly states that a 21" blade tip can spin up to 3454 RPM.  That said, purposely dropping it to 2800 RPM was likely done solely for battery/performance consideration, especially seeing as how the 21" now comes in a self-propelled option.

I am convinced that this drop in RPM is clearly affecting the mulching performance, though.  Similar to the OP, I just tried the new 21" (non SP) yesterday after selling my old 20" on Craig's List.  I also noticed that it left a bit of a trail of grass clippings to one side of my mower's path.  I never experienced this sort of phenomena with the old 20" that spun at 3300 RPM.

Disappointing.  

I have the SP 21" on order right now and hope to get it within the next week or so (after which I will return the current 21" - sorry Ego)!  ;)  I doubt it will perform any different, though.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Sounds like we are on the same page with our experience with the new 21" vs 20".
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

I didn't want to be, trust me.  But after cutting 2 different lawns with the new 21" (one that has been cut recently just 5 days ago and the other that had a lot more length on it than I normally would leave between cuts), the results were the same: a small trail of clippings to one side of the mower.  Admittedly, it was much more noticeable on the lawn that wasn't being maintained.  

Will this be enough to make me return the mower?  Ugh... I'm on the fence.  I love EGO's products, so it's a tough call.  My only resort is picking up the original 20" again, but it pains me to give up the much nicer build quality and SP of the 21".
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I'll have to break our and say the mulching is better on the 20, but power on the 21.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I now see that they did lower it to 2800. Hmm. Must be for energy efficiency. They need a power selection button. Powerful, rediculously powerful, ludicrous powerful. (Anyone get the movie reference?)
Photo of Rob

Rob

I came to the same conclusion once my grass got tall and thick but I was told that since the professional reviewers rated the new mower so high that it must be the blade being dull in the 21" mower.

The 20" does a better job of cutting my lawn period.

The only reason why I haven't returned the 21" version yet is because I have been really busy over the past week.
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I exclusively mulch and haven't noticed any sign of this poor mulching with a line of clippings left on one side. I do know exactly what you are talking about because I saw this constantly with my old Honda mower. Have yet to see this with either Ego.

Of course the 20" couldn't quite handle the thickness my lawn, so in certain damp, hot, humid conditions it would overload constantly and add 2 hours to a 30 minute job. As long as the "GOD mode" variable power can keep the blade spinning without that pesky flashing orange light I would put up with almost anything in terms of cut quality.

Since I am not the only one who has reported flawless mulching with the new mower, I wonder if there have been multiple production runs with some minor difference that is affecting the cut quality and performance of just some but not all units.

I have mentioned this about my 20" mower before, but just found the picture below. The blade that shipped on my mower was clearly different than every other Ego blade I purchased in a two-year period.

It wouldn't take much for a production error or even minor variation between two suppliers of the same part to cause the sort of results on the 21" described here.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@David: is that picture a shot of two of the same length blades?  Are those 20" or 21"??
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Yes David, more detail about that picture please! I don't remember what your issue was with the blades.
Photo of Rob

Rob

I can't say if there were bad productions runs, that's a problem for Ego to figure out. I don't think I am going to go purchase another blade just to compare them for the 21" mower.

I haven't experienced the whole line of clippings being left by the 21" mower, just a real lack of lift or just overall bad cutting performanceI because the cut quality is a bit worse than the 20" on my lawn.

I would love for it to be examined by an expert but I don't see that happening at Home Depot. Luckily, I have a plan B. Some may not.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Those are both 20" blades, one came on the mower and the other was purchased at Home Depot. I was swapping these out for several months to keep a sharp blade on the mower, but never had them side by side to notice the subtle differences until a few weeks ago.

Both blades performed well, this is just an observation that sometimes there can be little variations in the same part from the same company, and sometimes those differences could possibly impact performance.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Thanks for posting all the info you do. And about the small differences in blades.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Thanks David.  Are they the same length though?  I realize they're both for the 20", but it appears as though one is longer than the other - but admittedly - I can't tell if it's parallax from the angle your photo was taken at...
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Same length.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Thanks
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Doesn't the self propelled model slow down when it senses that it's overloading the mower motor? So when you hit thick spots, it automatically regulates the speed of the propel motor? If not this needs to be one in future designs as it would be a simple implementation. Kind of like a "smart" switch.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Which "propel" motor?  The blade or the wheels?
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Jacob, DJ, I've read that the mower will increase power to the blade when experiencing higher loads. Or maybe reducing the speed when it senses lighter loads.

But this is for the blade motor. I haven't read anything about the onboard computer regulating the walking speed of the mower.

But yes for other people, there are two different motors. The blade motor on this mower is a 1000 watt motor and I don't think that the walking motor is or has been advertised.
(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

Why would the self propulsion motor need to be regulated when thick grass is hit?

Only the blade motor needs to Rev up...which it does.

Common sense should tell the operator to slow down when they hear the blade Rev up. That's the way to get a better cut.
(Edited)
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

I suppose if you're using a self-propelled mower that if the blade motor can't handle the thick grass. As in it's already at maximum power. That's slowing down the walking motor would make sense.

As far as the common sense about the operators slowing down, the OP in this thread is saying that the self propelled design doesn't go slow enough to allow a person to adjust it slower. You're right that would be common sense. And that's what I always do when my mower can't handle thick grass. But I haven't experienced that on this mower yet. And I hope that continues.
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Common sense isn't common my friend. I was just curious.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Steve,

Have you seen this review from WorkshopAddict. A recent review... Apparently on mulching of the 21" Self-Propelled Lawn Mower by Ego.

Maybe there is a difference between your mower and theirs or a difference in the grass? I was trying to see grass being left behind in the video.

https://youtu.be/7nuQ4sWhcyM
Photo of Rob

Rob

I didn't have the problem with the line of grass. What I did notice was that the mower wasn't standing my grass up as it got thicker. I would finish cutting and find that my grass was all matted down and some had started to turn brown from lack of sunlight.

The 20" does a much better job even though it tends to leave individual standing blades all over the place.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I saw the line of clippings yesterday for the first time. I didn't really have time to mow but saw that it is supposed to rain here every day for the next 10 days and I didn't want to give the grass a head start.

Since I was short on time and wasn't taking much height off I cranked the SP speed up to about 75%. No uncut blades, but when I looked back I could see clusters of poorly mulched grass grouped around every other stripe.

I've never seen this at my usual 50% SP speed, so at least for me it seems that it only happens over around 3mph. Keep it down to 2.5mph and it should be fine.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

**UPDATE**

I finally got my 21" SP. unlike the standard 21", I didn't get any unmulched lines with the SP. I was cutting a fairly thick spring Michigan lawn at about 50% speed.

I'm very happy with the SP's performance so far!!!
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,788 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I have the SP model as well. It doesn't really mulch.  It cuts the grass and leaves the full length of the clippings.  it doesn't recut like my Honda does, into tiny clippings.  The Honda has two blades, which may be the key to superior mulching performance as well as more brute power and RPM.
(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

No, you don't need two blades for good mulching. You do need a blade with good lift to stand the grass up for cutting and a good blade/mower well design to allow the grass to keep circulating so it's cut up fine.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

I think it would help a great deal if people would report what states or areas of the country/world they are in when reporting cutting results.  Clearly Michigan grass differs from Georgia, North and South Carolina grass.

These reports may help EGO dealing with Q&A performance.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

blue grass/rye in Bay Area.   It's called "Prestige" at the local grass farm in Morgan Hill.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Rob are you saying that Honda's second blade has little effect on mulching performance?  My personal opinion is it mulches grass down to incredibly small pieces.  My Ego SP just cuts each blade of grass once.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

There are some great aftermarket mulching blades. When I had my Honda, the dual blades mulched my grass in to small chicklett sized pieces. It was the best mulching mower I've ever owned.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

I checked again yesterday if walking speed is a factor in mulching performance and I found that it doesn't seem to be. It still mulches poorly no matter how slow I go. What I have found is that the blades of grass do not get re-cut (mulched) into micro clippings. They basically stay at the size of the cut portion of the grass blade. ie.1/2', 1" etc. What I found with the 20" model was the ability of the mower to actually mulch the cut blades into micro clippings (1/4-1/2") that did not sit on the top of the grass in rows like they do now with the 21".
I think the lower blade RPMs on the 21"is probably the cause of this unfortunate problem. Also note that the mower blade is always kept sharpened and the mulching plug is inserted properly.

It would be nice if someone at EGO would respond to my ongoing concerns about the mulching problems but they have been silent. Is a fix possible? How about that other blade that is available in Europe? If that allows the grass blades to be lifted more effectively to be re-cut that might be the solution to the mulching problem.

Other than the mulching deficiency; this mower has lots of improvements over the 20" model that make it superior.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

I would like to add that poor mulching is most evident on thick lush turf which I am proud to say is from our organic lawn care methods. Also this with with weekly cutting so we are not talking about over grown grass. The poor mulching performance is cramping our effectiveness and style..
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Again, I think it would be useful to report what area of the country/world/state you are cutting when reporting mulch results.  As I explained above, my 21" SP is mulching just fine, and cut a thick/lush lawn that was fairly recently rained on quite a bit in Michigan.  Perhaps we all need to report area we are located and type of grass we're cutting?

To be clear, the non-SP version of the 21" that I temporarily used twice was leaving the dreaded blades in a trail, as you describe.  But my SP version is not, and that's at about 50% SP speed.  I'll be cutting again today or tomorrow though with a lawn that has grown about 5-6 days, so I'll report my results then as well.

I'm starting to wonder if there are defective models or if it truly is just the sort of grass we're cutting.
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

That was my first thought, but Steve has tried two mowers with the same result.

The only defects I can image would affect mulching quality and dispersion are the blade (shape/balance/sharpness), deck (shape/finish), or motor.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

My results are much like Steve.  The grass is cut, but not really "mulched".  There is a difference.  Mulched grass is finely recut clippings.  What I see isn't really much mulching.  I'm thinking it's all about the blade and RPM's.  But, I'm no engineer. 
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Steve, David, and SCDC - where are you located?  What sort of grass are you mulching?  It's very likely EGO and the community reading this thread will find the information useful.

I'm in Michigan cutting mostly Kentucky Bluegrass and Perennial Ryegrass.
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I'm in Georgia, and I am cutting a nice fine Bermuda sod that was overseeded in places with some god-awful chunky cool weather grass that is now overtaking the back yard.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

LOL!!!  Landscaping pains... I hear ya'.  I have several sections that no matter what I do, I can't seem to get it to grow grass via seed nor sod.  That said, my dog has a lot to do with it.  ;)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Very odd that what is essentially the same mower could have different performance for the same person/lawn. I wonder if there could be variation in the height of the blade to the mower deck?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

South Carolina, Centipede and Bermuda mix.  Back yard is weeks and other green things I don't care about.  Completely shaded by trees.  I only care about the front lawn at this point.

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Blue,  one thing to note.  With my 20" mower, I would cut the lawn at setting 2.  On the new 21" mower, I have it all the way down to 1, and it doesn't cut as low as setting 2 on the 20",
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Yes, trees and warm weather grasses do not play nicely together.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@Blue - it's possible that a production series has defective software and/or motor that isn't spinning at the full RPM, or it could be the type of grass.  That said, I was experiencing the issue with the non-SP 21".  The SP 21" seems to mulch fine for me, though.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I am using 2 on the 21" mower, but my grass also seems higher than my previous "2.5" height on the 20" mower.

I haven't measured, but the cutting heights all seem higher than the stated height:

Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

There is absolutely no way level 1 in the 21" is lower than the level 2 on the 20". When cutting with my 20" at level 2 around my tree, it skims the roots next to the tree. With the 21" on setting 1, I did not hit the roots. Even though it's a little higher, I do like he height. Just saying. *shrug*

I guess the question is, why the hit on mulching performance. It really may be just the blade.
(Edited)
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Did day,

Has a good /interesting idea. We all know Ego has running changes to some of their products like for example the chainsaws.

Same model number but a different design. The 14 inch Ego saw can have two different motors or power heads that you can only verify through the design of the handle and possibly the presence or lack of presence of the bar length printed on the bar.

But the saws are different saws with the same model number. The later in this case is the better saw with a power head identical to the 16" and able to determine the capacity of the battery and ramp up the power of the motor.

»»»» ~~>> Maybe you have a different 21 inch mower than others? Ego hasn't said that I know of. <<<~~««««
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

To be more to the point..

»»»» ~~>> Maybe you have a different 21 inch mower than others? With the same model number? Ego has done that with the old and new 14" chainsaw with very different power heads. . <<<~~««««
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Well, it's pure conjecture at this point, but certainly a possibility.  We need more field data for sure (types of grass being cut, geographic location, and mower model being used).  Right now, we only have a handful of reports out of (presumably) tens of thousands of units sold.

Unless EGO/Jennifer wants to chime-in "officially" at any time...
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Keep in mind, he chainsaw situation happened with a two year old tool that was essentially "updated" to the same spec as the newly released model, likely to keep production costs in check.

The 21" mowers are brand new products introduced just this year. A running change in spec isn't impossible, I'm just saying it's not likely.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

SCDC, my apologies, I should have been more clear. My comments were related to DJDDay having cutting issues with the 21" push mower that disappeared when switching to the 21" SP mower, which should perform the same as far as cut quality goes.

And that same mower that works well for him is giving Steve Valdez troubles...
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Blu, I didn't think of that... :-)

But like you said what is not likely is possible. Didn't David have two blades for the same mower but were different? I don't know if it was for the 20" or a 21"

Sometimes as I've experienced in the automotive industry and computing ( driveability technician and systems engineer) ... Is that sometimes the same model will have various vendors for the same parts. It has to do with availability and other timing and price issues.

Someday the cause of what's going on here, will come to light.

That's about all I have on the subject.
Photo of Cece Clark

Cece Clark

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Steve,
Thank you so much for posting your experiences.
I was about to pull the trigger on buying the 21" s-p this weekend, and you have me reconsidering. I am especially concerned by the lack of response you have received. Please post if you have heard from EGO privately.
Photo of Rob

Rob

I am not saying to go one way or another but you figured out that the only real way to speak is with your wallet.
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@Cece Clark: what part of the world are you located in (if you're in the US, what state)?  Also, what type of grass are you cutting?  I wouldn't be so quick to write off the 21" SP.  This doesn't appear to be a problem that affects everyone.
Photo of Cece Clark

Cece Clark

@DJDDay: Southeast US- I think it is Fescue. So glad for your input.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

DJDDay...I live on the west coast in Canada...Surrey,BC. Most of the grass types here are a combination of Perennial Rye and Kentucky Blue. I have two of the 21"SP mowers for my lawn care business and I am getting the same results with both. One came from Bellingham HD and the other was delivered to my home. Not sure if there is a possibility of a difference in model versions out there?
Photo of Rob

Rob

Where in the Southeast? I'm I'm NC and we have mostly tall fescue but some have bermuda.
Photo of Cece Clark

Cece Clark

@Rob: Did you ever hear anything from EGO about the "steamrolled" look of your lawn? Are you still experiencing that?
Photo of Rob

Rob

No, nothing. I came to the conclusion that when my tall fescue became it's tallest and thicket, the mower could not lift it so it just matted it down.

I called it a day. Me and the 21" sp version are history. I am now using my old 20" version . It does a much better job of cutting. Even with that mower, the lift is still a problem. Ego has a possible solution but are not selling the high lift blade in the US.

I'm going to let them do what they do but as of now, there are no more Ego products in my future.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,758 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
  " Ego has a possible solution but are not selling the high lift blade in the US. "

So, where is it sold?
Photo of Chris Deiter

Chris Deiter

• 274 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Europe
Photo of Rob

Rob

https://community.egopowerplus.com/eg...

The thread ended up being closed. They are being sold in Europe.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Rob, you are a principled person. That's great and your choices may help you to be a "mover." I respect that. And know that there are people who do that when they care about a certain company (or not). If you (people) care it means the company generally makes awesome products!

For myself, I would have a hard time if let's say I needed a chainsaw. My choices would then be to buy gas, buy into another brands electric collection of tools... which is not very helpful if you consider a great deal of benefit from owning more than one from one company to realize the following benefits...

1. One forum and ecosystem
2. One charger instead of having multiple chargers
3. One set of batteries instead of two

I know in the past I've purchased many products from companies that have a product I don't like. I don't like all Ford's yet I've purchased Ford. Nissan, Chevy, Mazda, Samsung, Apple, Epson, HP and the list goes on.
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Ego has said they are planning to release at least some of those parts, like the blower nozzle, in the US:

Based on the date of that post and the fact that we haven't heard any official announcements yet, it seems like they encountered some obstacles in releasing them here. Which would definitely explain why they are reluctant to make any promises right now.

I am willing to bet that the high lift blade is coming, just maybe not in time for this season.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Add to my small list...

4. And what if the best electric chainsaw on the market was Ego? Would I buy an inferior product from another company?
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

@Cece - if it's Fescue, that's very similar to the Perennial Rye that I cut.  I also cut Fine-leafed Fescue.  My advice is: give it a try!  There seems to be quite a lot of satisfied customers with the 21" SP.  The worst that will happen is that it doesn't live up to your expectations, and if it doesn't just return it.  Home Depot has free shipping to your part of the US, and you can return it in-store for a full cash refund if you don't want it - within 90 days.  

I stand by that EGO's mowers are still the best in the industry, as far as cordless mowers are concerned.  But only your first-hand experience will confirm that it's right for you.
Photo of Rob

Rob

I think Ego makes great products for the most part. I came back for the 21" mower because I liked the 20" mower. Because I liked the mower so much, I bought the original blower.

Because I liked their products so much, I bought the 15" string trimmer. That didn't turn out so well as the 21" mower didn't.

I tend to speak out when I have bought into a system as I did with Ego and then find out that they are holding out on equipment...especially one I could really use like the high lift mower blade.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Yeah!
Photo of Rob

Rob

@kid....

I don't need a chainsaw but if I did, I would not buy an Ego one at this time. That by no means says that I will not in the future if I get the feeling that the company wants more than what good ideas they can get from this forum.

Remember, this is just the action that I would take. I can't speak for others.
(Edited)
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

I truly am dumfounded as to why the high-lift blade wasn't offered as an optional accessory from the start in the US market, seeing as how there are some who want it.  Could it really be that expensive to order a batch from their manufacturer in China and see how they distribute/sell?

* shrugs *
(Edited)
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

DJDDay, same here.

Hey maybe the grass is heavier in Europe?

I can't imagine any regulation preventing them from making it available in the USA/Canada... other regions.

At least make it available online if the stores don't want to provide more space. All the red tape, whatever it is, can be avoided if they make it available online at least.
Photo of Chris Deiter

Chris Deiter

Talk like that will just get this thread locked as well.  The Ego moderators seem to know something they won't tell the rest of us. 
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

Talk like what?  I'm no tin-foil hat kind of person, but I'm curious as to what has been said that would lock this thread?
Photo of Chris Deiter

Chris Deiter

Was my attempt at being sarcastic.  
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Nah, not really.  EGO Moderators are most likely marketing and support people.  They are not the upper decision makers.   I'm sure as they grow, we'll see a nice product mix along with options develop in the USA.  They are new to the OPE (I keep forgetting what OPE mean, OpiumProducerExporters?).
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Lock it because DJDDay isn't a DJ.  Otherwise he would be playing my soft rock 70's hits.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Oh yeah, they will close it. Happened the last time this was discussed. No reason as to why we can't have a blade to help the mower perform as it should.

The blade should have come with the mower seeing as they are much more expensive than comparable gas models.

The blade exists for one reason....the Ego mowers don't have enough lift which is something that should gave addressed on the drawing board years ago. We being early adopters had to learn of the problem after spending $500 or more.
Photo of Gerry Litvin

Gerry Litvin

• 1,092 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I just bought the 21" non SP model.  Used it only one time and I have also noticed it left a line of grass along the left wheel when mulching. Normal walking pace and only cut 1 to 1.5 inches off the top. There were also a few scattered leaves on the lawn. These leaves only seemed to be cut in half. and still very visible on the lawn.  With my old Toro recycler mower I never had those problems. At this point of only one use the convenience of the Ego is superior to a gas mower. However my old Toro gas mower did a noticeably better job of mulching up the lawn and leaves.    
(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

Exactly. Consumer Reports can say what they want. The mower Is built like a tank but does not much as well as most $200 mowers. How can they charge $600 for it?
Photo of DJDDay

DJDDay

You asked for it!

Photo of Rob

Rob

WOW
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Now your talking DJ.  :)  I have a flash drive in my car with about 200 of the 70's top soft rock on it.  It's an awesome feeling to play it.  I can just feel the 70's all around me.  Yeah baby, Yeah.

And Rob,  Love will keep us together man.  It's the EGO way.  We'll work through this mulching thing.  

I'm going to take my blade to Lowes and look at some high lift generic blades.  I'm betting once we get a different blade on there, the sun will be bright again.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Be sure that bright sun isn't it going supernova..lol
Photo of Chris Deiter

Chris Deiter

Please let us know how the generic blade idea works out.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Will do Chris.  It's pouring outside right now, the next clear day will be Sunday.  I'll go out and see whats available.

Rob, that is exactly what I'm scared of.  I'll be wearing a bullet proof vest, and bomb squad outfit when I fire up the mower with a generic blade on it.  

If you see the Northern lights coming from South Carolina, you know what happened.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Oh, you're in SC?
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

When it comes to over grown grass (6"+) that has been trampled down I don't think any mower can lift up the flattened grass to cut it. That's what you need the EGO blower for silly. Cut it, blow it, cut it again. If mulching...blow away the clippings. :-))
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,048 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Just wanted to chime in here for a moment to relay information to those who may not have read all of our threads on the different availability of accessories in North America vs. Europe as well as the mulching concerns.  

First, we are looking into bringing the accessories that are Europe-only to North America. Your views and desires have been heard loud and clear.  We closed the topic because we don't have an update, for now, and it's not really productive to just say "we want it" 100 times.  We know you want it. :) It's not as simple as just shipping a box over and handing them out. We hope you can understand that setting up anything in North America takes time (regardless of our retailer of choice).

Second, we're sorry to see some of the mulching challenges you are experiencing Steve. Our 21" mower has been reviewed by quite a few third parties (Consumer Reports, Pro Tool Reviews, etc.) and we know you all look at their reviews. This mulching challenge is certainly news to us.  We're keeping a close eye on this but for now, no changes are being made.  There haven't been any running changes to the mower either so there's not a next generation of this mower vs a 21" mower that came out a few months ago.

Steve, we're going to contact you offline to try and figure out if there is anything else we can do to help ease your issues.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Awesome news Jennifer!  You pretty much answered all of the questions in this thousand message thread.  

Can't wait to see what you all bring to the USA.  I think we all owe a great deal to you for bringing our gripes to the people at your company.  The best part is that you all continue to listen.

As I've stated in the past.  Just about every change I see with updated revisions of a tool, I can track to posts in the forum.

Well done.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Hey Jennifer,

Noticed a bit of a tone from you there. Haha. It just seems that we voice our concerns about products, then you come in and say they will be taken into consideration, then nothing happens.

I don't think you're part of the group who makes these type decisions but know that you being a community manager makes you Ego to us.

Why isn't it as simple as obtaining some of the blades from Europe? Did the mowers have to have different specs for Europe that it didn't for the US. I don't know exactly how your business works but at the end of the day and no matter where it is, grass is grass.

We can grow just about every plant found anywhere in the world here in the US so I am pretty sure we have grasses here somewhere that match what they have and the mowers wouldn't necessarily need to be different especially at blade level.

Another thing I forgot to address are the reviews from those companies. One of our forum members actually documented 2 different blades for the 20" mower. Isn't it possible that one version of the mower was reviewed but by the time some owners got their mowers, they received a different version somehow?
Thank You
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Jennifer, well said.
Photo of Luis Luna

Luis Luna

I'm getting an aftermarket blade called GatorBlade! Hope it fixes this mulching issue. I also have an LM2100SP and not impressed by mulching.
Photo of Luis Luna

Luis Luna

I'll upload an image of the clippings left on top of lawn this Sunday before I blow it clean with my new EGO blower I got today with free battery!
Photo of Rob

Rob

Are there aftermarket blades that work with the Ego mower? I recall others trying and the blades didn't work out too well.
Photo of Rob

Rob

@Luis

Please do so we can see this happening.

That never happened to me personally so there has to be some variables involved. My problem is that the mower lays my grass down.
Photo of Luis Luna

Luis Luna

Oops I mean I have a LM2102SP. I was looking at model number on blades page.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

So where's the clippings!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I'm interested as my 20" works well and I want to see what people are talking about. :-)
Photo of Rob

Rob

He said this Sunday.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I want to see s pic of the clippings!
Photo of Rob

Rob

Dang it, Blue......wait til Sunday....lol
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Steve is an honest sounding poster, I'm sure he has good reason for the things he says. I don't deny the issue, but a picture is worth s thousand words! :-)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ok ok, waiting. :-)
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

To wrap this up and to summarize...this is a much superior mower in all respects except for one; it doesn't mulch the blades of grass it just cuts them, leaving what ever size cut blade of grass on the top of the lawn. All other claims of great mulching by the review sites are plain wrong and BS; unless they have mowers with higher RPMs or thin grass or they don't really understand what mulching is...or?

I look forward to hearing about possible solutions. I recall when the 20" mower first came out I was able to get extra blades directly from EGO as parts...this is how you should expedite the availability of a new mulching blade if possible.

BTW...the new 21" blades are improved quality too...they stay sharper longer.

I see the request for pictures...no problem. I could have been obsessed and flooded the site with 100's of pictures by now to clearly make my point. I will get on it. Hopefully today if the rain showers let up.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Pretty accurate description Steve, I'm seeing mostly a mix of cut and lightly mulched grass.  I'm pretty sure a slightly higher lift blade design will take care of this.  Maybe even a slightly larger blade?  I notice a tad more clearance between the housing and the blade than the 20". 

Not that the cut it provides is bad, by any means!  Here is how a good mulching blade performs.  This blade doesn't have much of a curve to provide lift.  I'm guessing we'll see a blade offered soon.

Photo of Rob

Rob

That's what I was getting at in this thread or another. I have been told that the mower cuts better because Consumer Reports say so...WRONG! Consumer Reports didn't test the new mower on my lawn when it is actively growing like it is now.

I asked of it were possible they got a different version than homeowners got. As I've said, I never saw the line of clippings that many have but the cut quality just isn't as good as the 20".

Thing is though, my neighbor has a $200 beat up Sears mower that has better cut quality than my $500 Ego mower. In what wotld should that be the case?

Again, I think it comes down to the mower properly lift the grass and holding it in the deck so it's cut several times.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Rob,

This is tough for me, but I'm giving EGO the benefit of the doubt.  There are a ton of variables when cutting a lawn.  I'm sure your neighbors grass is different than yours.  Lawns always look better from across the road.

I can't wait to see what a different blade does.  A higher lift blade might serve two purposes.  The mower will sense a bit more resistance and might kick up the RPM's a little, I don't know.  While it will shorten the battery life, it should in theory provide one hell of a cut!

I wouldn't be so harsh on EGO at this point.  Maybe it is just a few of us having some issues.  Whatever it is, it'll get resolved.  Believe me, they know about it and are not sitting idle.

Photo of Rob

Rob

OK champ
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Rob,

Photo of Cece Clark

Cece Clark

Jennifer,
Could you help me understand -before I buy- if I could order a high lift blade and have it shipped from Europe until such time as a retailer or warehouse space could be found?

Cece, you can certainly try to order the blades but I don't think they are shipping to the US from the dealers in Europe.  Please let us know if you are successful.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Now having heard someone saying that the 21" non SP mower mulches better than the SP version I think I will get one this weekend and give it a try and let y'all know what I find out.

BTW...I paid just over $1000 cdn for the SP mower to have shipped (included $60 shipping costs...no free shipping here) from HD Canada to my home. That's a lot of $$ for a non-mulching mower eh!
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Steve, if you really want SP, MAYBE Ego will come out with another blade that mulches better?  There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about the fact that Europeans have access to different mower blades than the US/Canada.  I for one would not want to have a non-SP mower.  I had an B&D for a short time (cordless, non-SP) and didn't like pushing it.   I returned it within a few weeks for refund, bought a great Honda SP and now I have the Ego 21" SP.
Photo of Rob

Rob

I don't know about that. I have found that the 20" mower is so much lighter than the 21"sp Version. It can be thrown around if need be so it is several times easier to push and handle in general.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

if the weights listed at HomeDepot.com are to believed, the 20" is over 20 lbs lighter.  Is that correct or a mistake on the specs list?
Photo of Gerry Litvin

Gerry Litvin

I have the 21" non SP and it does leave a mulch trail just like you have described with your SP. I have found that when cut on a lower notch the trail is more noticeable. I will be cutting for the second time later today. I bought last Monday 5/16 at HD in Mass. I now see in an advertisement that they are offering a free second battery with purchase of mower.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Than the 21" SP?  Yeah, sounds about right.  The 20" is one great mower!  When Rob says you can "throw the thing around", you really can.  It's so light.

But the weight difference is because of the motor size and SP.

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Dave, the 20" is 56.3 lbs. and the 21" SP is 67.7 lbs. So 11.4 lbs. difference.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

ah, the Home Depot specs are incorrect, as I expected.   thx.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Which Home Depot product pages did you find your specs on? I just looked at the specs for both bare mowers.

The 7.5Ah battery that comes with the 21" SP mower is also slightly heavier that the 4.0Ah battery that was included with the original 20" mower, but only by about 1.5 lbs. I didn't include batteries in the weights I quoted since the 20" mower is now also available with the 5.0Ah or 7.5Ah battery.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Now I see Gary L say that the non SP 21" leaves a clipping trail as well so I am not sure about buying and trying one to see if it performs better. More research is required from other users is needed. Any feedback would be appreciated. I do not like the idea of having to return a perfectly good mower (except for the mulching) if it's not necessary.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Steve and all, when you notice the trail of un-mulched grass, does it happen when pushing the mower forward, pulling the mower backwards, or both? If both, is the trail always on the same side of the mower deck, or does it change sides with mower direction?
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Always when moving forward on the left side of the deck.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Steve, I think he wanted the other info too? Does always mean always and only?
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

Yes, when moving forward the clippings accumulate on the left side only. Now this isn't always...it does depend on the thickness of the grass and how much of the blade is being cut. ie. 1/2" vs 1-2". On thin grass the cut blades are less evident as they don't sit on top. This model definitely doesn't produce micro clipping like the 20" mower does. Not sure what the result is when going backwards other than obviously re-cutting the blades. Going over them a second time always helps make them smaller and less evident. Obviously this is too time consuming...always!
I also find it does a poor job mulching leaves, which isn't something to look forward to in the fall. I hope a high lift blade is available by then or sooner.
Photo of Rob

Rob

I finally had this happen yesterday. I usually cut my lawn twice a week so not much if the blade is removed. Over the past week it had rained everyday so my lawn grew really fast and I could not cut it.

When I did, I got the row of clippings from the left side of the mower. Mind you, I am using the 20" mower now. If you put your fingers in them to pick them up, they fall apart back into the lawn.

Problem is that if they are left, they will turn brown on top of your lawn.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Steve, just to clarify, your primary pass is always moving forward (pushing the mower) and the clippings are only ever seen on the left. Correct?

Your primary cutting pass (first pass over un-cut grass) is never while pulling the mower, you are usually (always?) pushing the mower. Or in the case of the SP, following the propelled mower.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Rob, you are seeing a trail of clippings left behind when using the 20" mower in mulching mode, but only after your lawn has grown more than usual between cuts, correct?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Steve, I should add the reason I ask is, when I cut my small lawn I usually cut in both directions without turning around at the end of each pass. So half of my grass is cut while pushing the mower and half is cut while pulling the mower.

I gather from your response, as well as the fact you have added two SP mowers to your fleet, that the majority of your mowing is done going forward. You are likely cutting much larger areas than my postage stamp sized lawn, too. :-)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Rob, I never noticed this with my 20" Ego, but mowed pretty frequently to avoid overload situations. However I very distinctly remember this from the Honda I had before getting my first Ego.

Perhaps this is a broader issue than just with Ego.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Yes, Blue...only when it's very long with the 20. Otherwise it mulches it up well.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

My 20" mower was doing this today. I cleaned the built up grass on the bottom, and sharpened the blade to a razor point and it stopped doing it. Mulched perfectly after
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

I like to go forward with the mower as much as I can...where ever it takes me . Backward only when I am heading home. Tomorrow I will mow backwards allday and let you know how it mulches.beep beep beep
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Careful... people might think you're nuts if you do their entire property backwards!!! :-)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Backwards mulching is DEFINITELY worse with a single pass. This last pass was pulling back rather than pivoting the mower around:

I'd sure cut moving forward wherever possible!
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

It would be cool if everybody who had or experienced a mulching issue, would post their picture. Otherwise it's a bit subjective.

Thanks David.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Here is an area I failed to mow over again on this past Monday. The clippings have turned brown.
Photo of Terry Nelms

Terry Nelms

• 356 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Just used my 21" SP for the first time today going from a Honda 21" with the micro cut twin blades.  The Ego is impressive!  The grass in my back yard is very thick and many times would bog down, though never kill, the Honda.  The Ego went through it without slowing at all.  I will have to agree with Steve, the mulching is not quite as good as the Honda (blades are left longer) but it actually seems to cut better.  The Honda has always taken 2 passes to get all the grass completey mulched and the Ego is the same.  After the initial cut and a 2nd pass though, the yard looks just as good with the Ego as it ever has with the Honda.  I'm very happy with it so far.  Also used the 15" trimmer for the first time and it's definitely my favorite.  Goodbye gas trimmer!!  So, for me at least, while the mulching is a little lacking it's definitely not a show stopper.  I'm sure Ego will eventualy come out with a better blade design or some way to improve it.  If not, I get a little extra exercise making the 2nd pass :-)  At least the battery was still good after cutting the front with one pass and 2 passes in the back.  
(Edited)
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

My experience... Just for the record ( not saying there isn't room for improvement with other people's grass and mowers)...

I used my 21 SP for the first time in mulch mode. I would say my grass is fairly average in thickness compared to all my neighbors on my street. I found no problem with the mulching.

The details...

I did look at the grass clippings after mode and saw very small bits with a mixture of longer blades. I suppose in some areas the small bits would probably fall through and the longer blades might sit on top. But the longer blades were only about a half inch long. My boys were cutting about one-and-a-half to two inches of grass off the top.

So...
I'm in the Sacramento Valley of California and I wish I could tell you what kind of grass I had ( but the blades of grass are definitely NOT wide). So West Coast Valley in California, and average thickness lawn of unknown type.)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

My yards aren't huge, so I'm simply going to use the clippings bag instead of the mulching insert, as in my experience, the Ego SP doesn't mulch.  It just cuts off the grass and leaves that full length of grass on the lawn.  ie, I see no recutting going on.  My Honda Harmony with twin blades was a superb mulcher.  After more than 12 years of use, I just sold it for $200!
(Edited)
Photo of Gerry Litvin

Gerry Litvin

I just gave my lawn it's second cutting with my new Ego 21" Non-SP.  It's first cut was 4 days ago in mulching mode on level 3 (2.5") and I did notice it left a line of clippings behind the left wheel. Today I tried level 4 (3") only cutting off about 1". So I barely noticed any clippings this time along with better performance. I do still wish it had better suction, mulching and grass lifting ability so my mind is still not made up yet whether or not I will be keeping or returning this mower. I also decided to keep on cutting my lawn for a second time just to see how long the battery would go for. It lasted an amazing 1 hour and 15 minutes before it quite on me. I don't expect to get that result again as I don't usually cut after only 4 days. After cutting I went over to HD with my sales slip to see about getting the free extra 56V 2.0 ah battery since I bought it only 3 days before the sale started. They had no problem working it out for me and I got the extra battery for free in case I need it.
Photo of Troutboy

Troutboy

• 1,008 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Just received my 21 SP Ego yesterday and tried it for the first time. I'm in Denver, this time of year the grass (fescue) is very thick. All in all it did okay in mulch mode. Left some lines, but not too bad. Used level 3 depth. It does not create small mulch blades, they are very long, and although only a few lines on left side of mower, it leaves the large blades laying on top of the grass. They don't seem to fall into the grass.

I replaced an old HONDA gas, quadra cut HRX217, that did two things better. 1 created very fine clippings, small, and had superior lift. We have straw, small twigs, and fine wood mulch that get into the grass. The old mower would lift these up and mulch or bag them. NOTE: the HONDA would also leave a line behind, especially when taller and wet.

The Ego will not lift any of these off the grass, this is a little annoying. However, it performed well enough, I like the feel, quietness, and no more gas, so I plan to stick with it. It is a very nice machine, well built. It would be great if a better mulching blade could be designed that provided more lift.....
(Edited)
Photo of Gerry Litvin

Gerry Litvin

I just gave my lawn its 3rd cutting with my new EGO 21" Non-SP. This time after 5 days of growth instead of 4. It is being used in mulching mode and I had it set to level 4 (3"). The trail of clippings along the left side wheel was definitely quite noticeable once again. I had to cut it twice to get a decent looking cut. I love this mower except for this mulching flaw and lack of suction to lift grass or embedded leaves up. Based on the poor mulching performance with cutting grass, I am now quite fearful of what the performance will be like in the fall when It will need to mulch growing grass along with a yard covered in leaves, Unless EGO comes up with an answer and fix for this soon, it will probably be a deal breaker and back to HD for a new Honda (dreaded) gas mower for me.
Photo of Rob

Rob

I've owned the 20" a couple years now. The 21" sp didn't work for me because of what your mentioned...no lift. It just matted my grass down.

Anyhow, when it comes to Fall don't depend on the mower to actually pick up any serious amount of leaves. It will leave half of what's there if not more.
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

I was mowing a lawn at a customers place yesterday having to bag the clippings because of the poor mulching ability. I look next door and the neighbour is mowing his lawn in mulch mode and he is using an ECHO 58V. It was mulching great which really pissed me off. Last year when the ECHO came out I was happily using the old 20" EGO and didn't think anything of the new 21" ECHO 58V. Since mulching is such an important factor in our mowing practice and the 21" EGO now SUCKS in this department and there doesn't seem to be a solution around the corner...maybe it's time to look at testing the ECHO 58V. I hate to have said that because I have been a committed EGO user for 3 years now. 

I have a lot invested in the EGO brand...3x 20" Mowers (2 now in poor shape from wear & tear),
2x 21" SP Mowers, 2 old blowers, 2 new blowers (great improvement), 1 - 15" line trimmer (not using-not as good as our Core Outdoor Power trimmer- except they seem to be out of business...so let's say it's a back up or will be returned) & 1 new hedge trimmer (like very much after first day of use). We also have a lot of batteries... 4x 4ah, 5x 2a/h, 2x 2.5a/h & 2x 7.5 ah.

What to do?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Steve, I'm not sure if you've seen this video or not, but as a commercial user who often recharges batteries immediately after use this may be of interest to you:

https://youtu.be/8jPgrPtGH7o

In repeated use the Echo batteries take forever to charge as they simply don't manage heat. And while this is only just my personal suspicion, I question the long term durability of a design that operates the batteries constantly at high temperatures.

Food for thought... I have the 20" mower so I'm of little use. :-)
Photo of Rob

Rob

Wow, you've got yourself quite a situation there. In my opinion, competition is always good. If Ego isn't working for you and your business then as a businessman I know you know that you should make the move....at least on the mower front.

I purchased the Ego 15" trimmer not long after it came out and had to return it because it didn't work for me and picked up the Worx 56v trimmer...had great manners and all the power I needed.

I also picked up the Ego 21"sp mower as well....as you can see, it doesn't mulch well. Not even as well as the 20" Ego that I am currently using. I had not given Echo a second though but maybe it's worth looking into.
Photo of Rob

Rob

By all means, do your research. I was one of the first ones here to get the 21" sp in hand and even wrote a glowing review of it. As I mentioned in that review, I would need to see what it did once my grass began actively growing. Wasn't great at that point.

Steve, I've sent you an email privately to try and figure out a good resolution for you.  Please reply at your convenience.  We want to help get you back out as a happy EGO family member and take pride in your investment with us.  We know you're frustrated and we want to help.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Odd, I've never gotten anything like that.
Photo of Terry Nelms

Terry Nelms

• 356 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Second time out with my 21" SP today and I have to say I'm much happier this time.  I raised the mower to the correct height for my grass type (tall fescue, set to level 3) this time and after cutting the front and the even thicker back there were no decernable clippings at all.  We had a hail storm here earlier this week and I have leaves all over the back yard.  While it did not completely mulch the leaves I didn't really expect it to.  Green, damp, small apple tree leaves are pretty tough and never mulched well with the Honda either.  I did not try using the bag to pick them up.  It mulched well enough that they will disappear in a few weeks when they dry out and get cut a couple more times.  I'm a happy camper now, definitely a keeper.

On a side note, I also received the 530CFM blower + free battery yesterday.  It is awesome!!  It is so much better than the 40v Ryobi blower.  There is really no comparison between the 2 as far as I'm concerned.  Love the speed control personally, much better than variable speed trigger to me.  Turbo mode is a beast!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I'm with you - Turboooooooo! :-)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.