Review of my LM2100SP */2

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Not a Problem
  • (Edited)
Review */2
I bought a new 2100SP mower a few days ago from HD. It does cut most easy to cut grass and it does move itself forward. I haven't tried mulching yet. The problems this mower has makes me wonder if anyone at the factory ever used one. The slowest forward speed is at a very fast walk speed. Fast speed is so fast I could hardly run to keep up with it. What happens if you have thick, tall, or wet, grass? On tall sparse dry grass (about 8" tall) it won't cut it at all. I suspect it goes so fast over the grass the blades don't have time to cut it. What to do? Don't use wheel power and push it by hand? Uphill? Why no reverse option? Sometimes you need to back the thing up and pulling it back manually is really hard to do for a small person. High cost and not very useful. I give it about 1/2 star rating.
Photo of Louis Ott

Louis Ott

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Bob

Bob

• 754 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Louis, I brought this up a few weeks ago and got criticized and personally trounced by others on this forum - so bad that Ego closed and removed the thread. Ego has a major issue with this mower going too fast in the slowest speed but younger, energetic people find it laughable that others, with disabilities or aged are struggling to keep up with this mower. Makes NO sense at all that they have a range of speeds and start off at a brisk walk and move from there to a slow run - poor engineering and Ego makes no apologies nor do they offer to fix it - I love my Ego but the SP feature was $100 wasted unless I'm going up a steep hill.

Keep your head down - there are others here that will blast you for criticizing this machine - I wish you luck getting any meaningful response from Ego on this matter.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
My experience..

Speeds for myself (49 year old), my short 12 year old and my 14 year old is fine. But there are some situations where a slower speed would be nice. Not for us though.

Not sure where I saw it (a review on YouTube?) but they suggested lower speeds for mowing and higher speeds for transporting on larger properties. For most.

The thickest /tallest grass I've mowed was 6-7" and it was a 10' diameter patch. The mower just cruised thru it. It was likely at the lower end of the range of speeds.
Photo of Bob

Bob

I would suggest that the very purpose of a variable speed control is to - well - GIVE ONE THE OPTION OF VARIABLE SPEEDS? The lowest speed should in fact be a crawl - not a brisk walk on a Fall day. Perhaps different lots of this mower have different programmed speeds but the slowest possible speed on ours is very difficult for a relatively healthy man at age 67, unless going uphill. My wife, 59, won't even use the SP feature because she has short legs and has to basically run to keep up. Yes, other mowers with a single speed may go this fast but a variable speed should be "variable" from slow to fast - not fast to running. I suppose it's all subjective, but not really.

Ridiculous. But we still love the mower, just hating the SP which I wasted $100 on.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

• 6,194 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
It sounds to me Bob that you might have a faulty speed setting. Can you ask the HD folks to let you try the in store model's SP feature to help you determine that? If not you can come and test ours up here in Surrey, BC, Canada.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Bob,

There are some that can get a bit over enthusiastic, and sometimes it can appear a bit like stepping on someone with opposing views. I personally would like to see the slowest speed be a crawl. There are definately circumstances where a very slow speed is desireable.

Please do state your opinion and don't let anyone take away your "voice". It's good for EGO to see our product evaluations.

As long as people keep things reasonable and civil, there is absolutely room for everyone's opinion.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Louis,

I hope EGO considers this.
Photo of Bob

Bob

Thanks.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,768 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Louis, take note of the comments above. You are not the first to mention the slowest speed being a bit too fast. Do consider, though, that Ego benchmarked many popular self propelled mowers and the speed range of the Ego matches that of many other self propelled offerings. Beyond that, everyone has the right to an opinion and there's always room for product improvement/evolution.

Your comments about the mower having trouble cutting are a bit concerning, however. I must ask, why is your grass 8" tall? Consumer Reports just rated the Ego 21" mowers head and shoulders above just about every other mower they tested, gas or electric, and most people have no issues with the mower not cutting properly.

Without seeing exactly what your mower is up against it's not easy to make a recommendation, but I would suggest getting your grass to a more normal height before making a final call on its abilities. A half star rating is unusual for a machine that is generally regarded as a top performer.

Keep us updated with any further experience you have with your mower.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

When cutting grass that is 8" I hope you are starting at the highest cut height setting which is 4" then re-cutting to 3". I haven't tried cutting grass at 8" yet with the new 21"SP model but I expect will do well with it's added power capability. Sure the battery will drain quicker but those are extreme circumstances at that height. Don't expect your grass to look great after the initial shearing because it is too hard on the grass plant. The grass blades might even be yellow as you cut that low I hope your grass recovers over time. Try to keep it cut before it grows more than 4" and cut down to 2.5-3"; so that you are not cutting off more than 1/3rd of the grass blade at a time.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,708 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Great advice, Steve!
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Louis and Bob, we appreciate you expressing your opinions about the self-propel speed and we are taking those comments into consideration for future models of the machine.  While no changes are planned at this time, know that your voice is being heard. As Blue mentioned, we did benchmark our speeds to match other manufacturers and we are sorry that they are not up to your satisfaction.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Hi Jennifer,

I think it would be good for EGO to expand upon the findings of other mowers.  It really isn't a hard thing to change on the mower for the next revision.  It's great that the engineers compared SP speeds, but we both know that EGO wants to beat those specs.  I like the suggestions to bump the slowest speeds down.  Guess that is all we can ask for, right?  :-)

2 things that can be fixed or enhanced.

• Slowest Speed.

• Brake

These are fair requests, SCDC.  I am passing all of this information along, as I've said in the past, and will keep everyone posted if we make any changes in the future.
Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

I see the Consumer Reports says that it "Mulches impressively, producing fine clippings without leaving clumps"...this is B.S. as far as my experience with both our new 21" SP mowers goes. I am constantly disappointed with seeing coarse clippings left behind when cutting more than 1" off of the blades of grass. Even if cutting only 1/2" (like on a second cut with the cut height setting one level lower) it will still leave a trail of clippings to the left side of the cutting path. Again, I will say that the old 20" did a great job mulching from our extensive experience. So WTF happened?

Any response from the 'powers that be' would be appreciated.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

I really want to check out this on my mower next time.

Have you seen David Cline's comment about various small(?) changes in blade design? He even had a picture.

Ego does have a secondary /supplemental design in order countries. Too bad they don't sell them here. Maybe there's a US regulation preventing it?

Please Ego let us try your other products... at least online if not in the stores.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

SCDC, maybe the brake is due to a valid safety concern . As if a person is going uphill and they trip or something happens, then you wouldn't want it rolling back down on to you. Or if you stop for some reason and the mower rolls back onto your foot if you're standing slightly to the side. I suppose this would happen more steep Hills?

Kid, that's right. The different designs available in other countries are not manufactured to the same safety codes in North America thus we can't just bring everything over here right away.  We have another thread discussing this and promise if we have anything from Europe coming to North America, we'll keep you all posted.
Photo of Bob

Bob

Jennifer, what part of "variable" does not apply here? Most self propelled mowers I have ever owned were one single speed - the Ego is in fact the first mower I have ever owned that had a variable speed. There is little satisfaction in knowing that Ego may take this into consideration in future models - as I would plan on having this model for a long time after spending $600 for it. My question is what if it were too fast for YOU or you were receiving hundreds or perhaps thousands of complaints about the speed controller - would Ego fix it then? As Ego continues to sell these SP models you will continue to hear these complaints - at some point Ego should address a level of customer satisfaction with their customers that are unsatisfied. While this mower may be satisfactory for younger and perhaps well fit persons, it does not work for the masses - so why bother with a variable speed - this mower will never see the light of day of any speed other than it's lowest possible SP speed - and that is too fast for many of us.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I think you are mistaking a very small niche market segment for the masses.

Here is what impartial reviewers say for the masses:

Take note of the perfect 5/5 scores specifically for "handling" and "ease of use" and its overall score being the highest in the entire product category.
(Edited)
Photo of Bob

Bob

So you believe that the Baby Boomer generation and disabled consumers are a niche market? Wow. I subscribe to CR and while I respect their reviews, they are not always relevant to every person who purchases - and this is a case in point. I wont' be sucked into another debate with you David but you really do need to seek sensitivity training.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
And here is a snapshot of what Home Depot customers are saying:

I don't think Ego is unsympathetic that the speed may be too fast for some, but the reality is that it isn't too fast for most or the reviews would look very different.

And keep in mind that the extra $100 you spent on the self propelled kit over the push version got you a more powerful blade motor and a 7.5Ah battery that retails for $130 more than the 5.0Ah battery included with the push mower kit. Even if you aren't able to make use of the self propel feature, this mower is still a very good value.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Hi Bob,

I've read a lot of reviews about the mower, and I don't think the "Masses" complain about the speed, but enough people would like the speed reduced that I think it will happen in the future. 

I've been watching EGO for 3 years, and it seems like with every revision, I can track the changes to recommendations on the forums.

Thank you for your insight and voicing your opinion and recommendation.

In good Health!

Photo of Steve Valdes

Steve Valdes

I see the Consumer Reports says that it "Mulches impressively, producing fine clippings without leaving clumps"...this is B.S. as far as my experience with both our new 21" SP mowers goes. I am constantly disappointed with seeing coarse clippings left behind when cutting more than 1" off of the blades of grass. Even if cutting only 1/2" (like on a second cut with the cut height setting one level lower) it will still leave a trail of clippings to the left side of the cutting path. Again, I will say that the old 20" did a great job mulching from our extensive experience. So WTF happened?

Any response from the 'powers that be' would be appreciated.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Steve, like I mentioned in another comment on this thread I will want to check this out...

But maybe, just maybe when CR said clumps they ment clumps as opposed to a line of grass. While this seems trivial it may be that the higher than average score and being impressed could be taken as just better than average for the reviewers experience.... Not that it's great and flawless?

I don't know. I am a perfectionist when it comes to the tech side but I try to see the best in people too. I do believe you are experiencing a problem (and sure others do too) and hope that Ego changes it so that it's at least as good as their previous 20 inch product.

Still I'm very happy with my 21-inch self-propelled mower and do believe that it is worthy of the high marks that Consumer Reports gives it.