Request for Update on Power Head Kit Availability Originally Announced 4 wks ago

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Power Head availability?

Request for Update on Power Head Kit Availability Originally Announced 4 weeks ago. - Thanks
Photo of MWagner-Diggs

MWagner-Diggs

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Brian

Brian

• 306 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I gave up waiting. I will have to look at alternatives like the Echo series as the individual pieces are not affordable for me unfortunately.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Stay away from Echo.  Greenworks is a pretty good alternative.  They've got their flaws but they are the only other cordless system that actually really interests me.
Photo of (a)Typical Engineer

(a)Typical Engineer

• 26,632 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

How much farther Papa Smurf...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi0tje6xfWs

Photo of Brian

Brian

lol... Now if they could hook up a 7.5A EGO battery to the cart...
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Good luck brian. Make sure you do your research on echo and their batteries. Not saying they are bad, but from what i have read, they weren't the best. I understand totally, the wait has been a "bit" long.
(Edited)

(a)Typical Engineer

Echo 58V?  I bought three Chainsaws: Ego 56v, Echo 58v, and Kobalt 80v.  Echo rated LOWEST because the battery took a long time to charge, and ran very HOT.  Lots of independent reviews out there confirming this.  Ego by far is the best "system"; but as Jacob said good luck in finding an alternative.

Photo of Brian

Brian

Yeah, I didn't buy it yet.  I just started to look at all the alternatives.  Just listed one. I have not really narrowed my selection yet.  I prefer buying EGO, to tell you the truth, but I cannot tell the lawn to stop growing til EGO packages the multi-tool parts together lol.  I have the EGO lawn mower which is really good so I know that EGO mastered the technical aspects of lawn equipment for consumers like me.  I fail to understand why EGO who is already selling the parts, can't figure how to sell it all together.  I would not care if I got 4 plain boxes shipped to me (base, trimmer, edger and battery/charger).  I know there is a lot of passionate folks in this forum so I hope no one interprets this as negative. Just providing constructive criticism...  My gut feeling is there is a marketing monkey that needs to stamp "Approved" before they ship it out (just kidding here!)  :) 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,988 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Brian, constructive criticism is ALWAYS welcome!  I'm pretty sure Ego knows they've botched this new product launch badly.  SOO many people have been waiting for the edger alone that this system has achieved monumental levels of anticipation, and the wait is just getting drawn out longer and longer... you're definitely not alone in your frustration.

Is there a way to plug the gap?  Say, borrow a neighbor's trimmer a few times to tide you over?  Pick up a used one on Craigslist or something?  You never know, you might be glad you did! :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I agree with you brian. Totally. This is taking way too long. Im like 99% sure its hd holding it up. Ego wants to make money. Home depot is going to make money either way..

(a)Typical Engineer

Well the way the PH1400 release has shaken out, I'm sure a lot of current Ego owners who wanted the PH1400 went and ordered the tool only version.  Now when Ego/HD release the kits, there are likely going to be a lot of within 90 day returns.  Now hopefully Ego/HD is not going to release the kits 90 days after the release of the tools, which was around 4/1 (and that's no April Fool's).
Photo of Brian

Brian

This is a nice surprise. Now only if they can get the trimmer and edger package kit available... :)
Photo of MWagner-Diggs

MWagner-Diggs

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yeah. Exactly what I want, too. And of course this is prime lawn season so the need is great or so it seems to me. Maybe it is a matter of the kits arriving from overseas?
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Wow. And a good price too. About a 150.00 savings.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,956 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Great price.  So much so that I would guess there will not be significant savings (if any) with the edger added.
(Edited)
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

• 5,422 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
So the kit with edger and trimmer will be at around what, 450$?  Thats reasonnable with the 5.0 and charger.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

We will have to wait and see but that is my guess.
Photo of shedman

shedman

• 1,360 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I am not sure why 450 would be a good price. The first combo is 350, adding the edger should be less than 100 since it retails for 99. My guess would be 400-420 range.
Photo of Patt

Patt

• 416 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'm patiently waiting to see the price for another kit.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Im guessing 421.00
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

$422

C'mon Bob, er, Drew, let's see it! :-)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

$429
Photo of shedman

shedman

$419 ;-)
Photo of Teknut

Teknut

• 262 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hi everyone.  Just ordered the Ego 21 in Self Propelled mower kit and the power head kit that was just announced.  Just so everyone knows, I called the home depot customer service number and placed the order with an agent and the agent was able to give me 10% off the entire order.   So if you are thinking about ordering, you should be able to save some money by speaking to an agent.

Very excited to join the Ego family!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Nicely done, and thanks for the tip!
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

• 5,422 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Cool.  Would you happen to have the phone number where you called in?

Thanks
Photo of Teknut

Teknut

I called the main number 1 (800) 466-3337 and choose options 2, 2, 1 I believe.  This should take you to place a new online order.  

I did tell them that I have a competitor's coupon, which I do, but they couldn't find the coupon number on their system and so they choose a 10% off promotion from their promotion system and applied it to the entire order.  Hope this helps.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,274 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Welcome to the family, Teknut! Please post pics once your mower and multi-tool arrive.
Photo of Rick

Rick

• 1,094 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This is very YMMV. I have had Lowes 10% off coupons and they would not allow it because Lowes does not carry Ego. So the original poster got lucky. It will work on anything in store, but tougher to use online.
Photo of shedman

shedman

I wonder if you could go into the store and order it online from customer service? I have done that for special order items. Is the coupon something available to anyone if they look hard enough?
(Edited)

(a)Typical Engineer

I've ordered at the Customer Service Desk at Home Depot, and they were not able to apply any discount, not even the military 10%.
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

• 820 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Sounds like it's time to get to know the Manager real well.  I have never had any challenges with Military 10% on Online or even Special Order.  I don't get it initially, but head to store and they credit the difference with the flash of the ID.  Good luck.
Photo of Patt

Patt

Totally agree. I was able to get Military 10% on one of my online order too. Hopefully I can get it again this time.
Photo of Teknut

Teknut

I know when I tried to use a coupon from Lowes at the store, they were really strict and it seemed like they really didn't want to honor the coupon.  I'm glad that the experience was very different over the phone and they seemed like they were doing everything they can to help.
Photo of Amber F.

Official Response
The edger + string trimmer kit should be available for purchase tomorrow on homedepot.com! :-) 
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

You certainly know how to turn a Monday around - super news!  Sold old trusty solid 14 year-old Honda Mower/13 year-old Echo PAS Trimmer/Edger/Echo Blower - Done with Gas, Smell, Mess, Tuneups, Space Required, etc.  Two weeks ago I bought 2102 SP Lawn Mower and 600CF Backpack Blower and have been desperate to replace with this kit.  So far, Ego has lived up to all of  my expectations!  Thanks for the update Amber
Photo of Amber F.

My pleasure! Let us know what you think of your new Power Head. :-) 
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

Good morning Amber - I went on to Home Depot, and there it was - the new Power Head Combo Pack.  Something must be wrong though, as it is online for $599 (http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-15-in-String-Trimmer-and-Edger-Combo-Kit-with-5-0Ah-Battery-and-Charg...), which makes little sense.  Same Powerhead, 5.0 Ah Battery, Standard Charger and Trimmer as the $349 Power Head Combo Kit http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-15-in-String-Trimmer-with-5-0Ah-Battery-and-Charger-for-EGO-POWER-Pow...and then a $250 markup for a $99 Edger.  Please help me understand.
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

I just contacted Home Depot Customer Support (800) 430-3376 and spoke with a very kind representative named Linda.  She agreed with me and is running it up the chain to inquire what appears to be a significant price discrepancy.  I could understand the $599 being $399 and perhaps somebody mistyped.  Even $429 would make sense for a package incentive.  Anyway, Linda said it would take a day and that she would get back to me tomorrow one way or the other with an update.
Photo of Smores

Smores

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Talk about sticker shock.  $599 seems very high when you could buy the smaller kit plus the edger attachment for $449.  Interested to see what Home Depot/Ego have to say on this.  I've been waiting two months for this kit and was hoping to purchase it today.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Psssst... Amber, push them for $399. :-)
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

Bingo
Photo of Smores

Smores

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm all in for $399!  Thinking about ordering one now before they go out of stock and dealing with the price adjustment later.
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

Thought about that as well, but don't want to give HD any idea that anyone is even remotely interested in the product at $599 - at least not anyone that can do simple math or compare product lines.  I'm a Lowe's guy but HD has been my only choice for Ego and for the better quality Dimmable LED light bulbs.  Recently bought a new LG Washer / Dryer and surprisingly HD couldn't come within $500 of Lowe's price - Best Buy / HD were a waste of time as they both struggled to understand how I could get such a good deal.  I'd be interested to see volume of Ego product moved and know how much longer it is going to take before they started getting more shelf real estate. Certainly my local HD store assistant knew all about the product and raved about it - I was quite impressed.  He was a retired dental technician and simply couldn't understand why HD did not promote the brand more.
Photo of Amber F.

The correct price is $399.  We’re fixing the listing right now. 
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

Outstanding!  One for the team!
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

Received call from Linda at HD Customer Support - she said they were working the price change, but that I could call and they would honor the $399 price - I wasn't able to get through to Linda, but she had made a note under my telephone number and the rep who took my call was able to assist - order placed with 25 May 17 anticipated delivery - ahh, the virtues of patience.  HD really turned their error around.  For those wanting this package, I'd call Customer Support and order now.  They are well aware of the issue.
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

Added note - when order is processed, you will receive an electronic receipt that states $599 but then reflects a $200 promotional discount.  She said they could not provide for Military Discount, but when I receive I will take into the store and see if they can make the adjustment.  They have been good about this in the past.
Photo of Rick

Rick

I called an they said it could be a day or two to correct the price and I should wait and order then.  It all depends on which rep you talk to!
Photo of Patt

Patt

@R Mercado You mean after you receive the kit, you bring it to the store asking fir the Military Discount?
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

@Rick - I worked with a rep named Kayla, but did not get an extension.  Linda who I worked with this AM and left a message is X53297.  Good luck.
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

@Patt - Yes sir, receive the kit and then take into your local Store Customer Service - go through the return and repurchase with discount routine if they can't do a price adjust and simply credit difference.
Photo of Rick

Rick

The next rep would do a price adjust to $399 for me, but like you experienced they can not discount that price with a coupon or such because they are using a discount code to give that price.  So I guess I will wait for the system to get the updated price so that it can be discounted with a coupon.  I was given a couple of days as a time estimate, but they said that was somehow based on the manufacturer.

Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

Understand - I'll keep you posted on how my dealings work.  Cheers
Photo of Tim Kittrell

Tim Kittrell

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
What kinda extra discount codes you use.  All their stuff is pretty specific and not a general store wide code.
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

My transaction receipt simply has a subtotal of $599.00, a Promotional Discount Line with -$200.00, Shipping and Tax Lines for an order total.
Photo of Patt

Patt

@R Mercado Thanks for trick. I will try that.
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

My pleasure - these forums are perfect for helping each other out.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

R, thanks a ton for posting this! I'm sure there are lots of people reading for each one typing!
Photo of Juan V.

Juan V.

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I wanted to share this because I have followed this forum and multiple threads for many weeks now in anticipation. I posted this on another thread.

I just went through the online chat and they called EGO to confirm the price and they did a price adjustment for me. I made the purchase at the incorrect price ($599) and sent them the order number. They make the adjustment to $399 and said you aren't billed until the order ships anyway. So if you adjust when you place the order everything is billed appropriately. Expected arrival date with the free shipping is May 25th!

(I had to pay sales tax over the $399 but no shipping costs)
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

Quick update - received confirmation of shipping from HD - Power Head Kit due to arrive 22 May now - 3 days ahead of original schedule - like it!
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

One further note/question - looked at Hedge Trimmer this evening, noted price discrepancy of bare tool, then searched this forum to find it was already noted and Ego was working with HD to correct.  Unlike the overnight correction for the new Power Head Kit, I noticed, the price discrepancy is still not corrected and as one of the forum contributors keenly noticed, the error is in the HD SKU.  I started to comment on the thread but noticed it had been closed.  Anyone know what the status is?  Also, is it like all the other tools and could use a 5.0 battery (albeit heavy) that I have with my blower or am receiving with Power Head Kit?  
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Yes all batteries work with all tools.
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

Thanks Jacob - website threw me with only 2 and 2.5 Ah Kits and specifications noted of up to 1 hr runtime, regardless of which configuration you choose.  HD website at least says 75 min for 2.5 Ah battery so it looks about 30 minutes per Ah.  With a 5.0 Ah, I'd anticipate 2 1/2 hours of hedge trimming, likely more than I would use all season long - ha, ha.  Thanks again. 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

If you are using the hedge trimmer above shoulder height or with outstretched arms, you'll probably appreciate having the smaller battery on it. ;-)
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

Amen - that was a concern.  Maybe best just to by kit, as by next Monday, I will have a 7.5 Ah, and 2x 5.0 Ah with recently purchased Mower, Backpack Blower and Power Head Edger / Trimmer Kit.  Hmmm
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The handheld blowers are AWESOME for small to medium sized cleanups, and the 530 CFM kit comes with the 2.5Ah battery. You know you want it... :-)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,062 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I bought the 600 CFM and thought I did not need another blower ... wrong, I end up buying the 575 CFM for smaller jobs ( to Blue's point). Now I find myself using both for different jobs every week. Trust me, its worth it, pull the trigger ... :-)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Oh look, the 530 just happens to be on sale!

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Photo of Jacob

Jacob

I may buy the backpack blower mainly just for the battery
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Buy a battery, get a $30 backpack blower and a free charger! :-)
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

For the size of your yard Jacob, you need the 600 CFM backpack blower.  How can you create a Frankenmower, and not have the backpack blower, as part of the family ... :-)
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

With this latest deal, I'll be returning the backpack blower (1 week old) for price adjust and the hedge trimmer just became a no brainer, so Blue, I will have that smaller battery rather than using one of the 5.0 Ah's, or god forbid the 7.5!  My shoulder would be on the ground before I ever depleted the battery.  This Ego transition is seriously coming into place!  With only 2 small trees in the front, and only annual loping at the base each season, I quite can justify a pole saw adjustment, and living in TX, a snow blower would be an even bigger stretch.  Chain saw the last thing I need.  Only gas powered tool remaining is a little Honda Cultivator.  Ego is listening I am sure.  Don't have a Power Washer, but after exhaustive research, think I may stretch for the Kranzle K1122TST - corded monster, but given reach of hose and reel, not an issue for light duty (fences, furniture, walks and mostly car) work - they last forever, unlike all the other electrics on the market.  Ego rocks!  Now to get to HD before all the non-Forum folks get their grubby hands on the good deals.  Sorry, I meant, I look forward to new folks discovering Ego and tools that really work well and pave the path to burying ICE age tools. Ego really hitting a stride - Thanks to all for a great forum!
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

BTW, thinking about that 7.5 Ah battery on the Hedge Trimmer - that would be like a Big Block V8 in the original Honda CVCC!  Or rather, a Tesla Model S P100D Motor I guess would be more applicable in this comparison.  Gotta keep it e!
Photo of Patt

Patt

My order just shipped today. I will get it one day after you R.
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

Quick update - Successful trip to Home Depot - grabbed the Hedge Trimmer 2.0 Ah Kit for $149 less another 10% Military Discount.  Also obtained price adjust on Backpack Blower 5.0 Ah Kit - full return and then repurchase at the $50 discounted price and then another 10% Military Discount.  Now, it's just a matter of receiving the new Power Head / Trimmer / Edger Kit on Tuesday and having HD do a 10% Military Price Adjust for that item.  Win, Win, Win.  Yard Tool Arsenal complete ... for now.  Time to buckle in - windy and under yet another tornado watch - oh joy.  Good weekend to all.  Cheers! 
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Stay safe!
Photo of Patt

Patt

R Mercado,

Did you get the Edger Kit yesterday or you're going to get it today?

Mine have schedule delivery today and wondering about the result of getting military discount.

I'm in TX too. Which HD location you're going to?
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

'morning Patt - it was out for delivery from UPS in Mesquite, but mid-day was rescheduled for delivery today.  Getting notification from UPS and HD that it made it to Denton and is yet again out for delivery.  I'm sure it will make it today.  I'll be heading to one of two HDs - Roanoke or Southlake.  Both have been good when it comes to Ego.  I'll keep everyone posted on the Mil Discount.
Photo of Patt

Patt

I have the same experience with you on UPS today. The status of my kit shows out for delivery today. Then their system just update with the schedule for tomorrow :(
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

Odd for sure - received last night, but home late so will be headed to HD tonight.
Photo of Patt

Patt

Received mine, went to HD for price adjustment - refund and repurchase, done!

Thanks a lot R Mercado for the trick.
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

Ditto, but not without much ado. HD Customer Support they had no capability to provide mil discount for Special Orders. I iterated it was not special order and simply an online purchase made via phone and that the rep was unable to effect multiple discounts on a purchase. As you may recall, they had to provide a "$200 promo" to arrive at the correct price on the day of product release. I then got to speak to the Manager who had Customer Support contact HD Resolutions - I was then handed the phone and it was explained to me they did not give Mil Discount on online orders but because of my situation they would honor a 10% discount. I have searched on the HD website for confirmation of the policy to.lno avail. Special Orders I would understand, but online I do not. I would understand if I needed to order from the store so a store Rep could validate Mil ID, or price adjust in store post purchase. I haven't had this kind of difficulty in the past and it looks like I may have to use Resolutions in the future until HD gets their policy right. Cheers!
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

Way to be persistent ... you deserve it R Mercado ... :-)
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

Thank you David - one of the toughest things about dealing with big box stores is that management simply has lost all empowerment, and customer loyalty means little to nothing.  Best Buy is another example - I really enjoyed the days of establishing a relationship with a senior salesperson or manager, and garnering discounts as a loyal customer.  Those days have long gone, so I tend to look for smaller shops where possible - most of the time, they can beat the big boys.  I'll continue to fight the fight on principal - these stores need to establish policy that makes sense and empower their management.  The return in loyalty will more than make up for small percentages in profit lost to minor discounting.   

A further note I forgot to mention - while I was in HD the other night working the price adjustment, a customer had just returned an Ego Mower purchased the weekend before.  He was simply exchanging for new, but the reason is what grabbed my attention.  According to Customer Service, the customer had a Charger literally "explode" when he plugged it in - I would love to have had more details.  Was pleased he wrote it off as a possible one-off quality control issue and stuck with Ego, but has me a bit concerned.  Have any of you forum readers heard of similar stories?

Lastly, tonight I finally had a chance to use the new Trimmer / Edger.  In a nutshell, it has exceeded my expectations.  A bit on the heavy size, but quiet, smooth and phenomenal torque, dare I say, far better than my old Echo PAS it replaced.  The original 12" with tiny line was a toy I returned after just a single use 2 years ago, waiting for the day Ego would introduce something that could equal or rival the Echo PAS I had grown used to.  Ego's done it - bravo!  Now to unbox the hedge trimmer and put it to work this weekend.  

A safe and relaxing Memorial Day to all - raise a toast to those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice in the fight for our freedoms, and to those serving around the world today - a speedy and safe return to their family and friends.  Cheers!  
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

For Ego Reps and for Active/Reserve/Guard/Retire Military, I just learned about https://www.id.me .  It provides a means for online retailers to verify service for any applicable military discount benefit.  There are hundreds of trusted brands that are employing this unique site to safeguard against fraudulent military service claims while safely extending discount benefits to intended benefactors.  Please consider joining and encouraging HD to join.  Thank you.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Back in high school electrical shop we used to blow up capacitors for fun. They go off like little firecrackers. There are some large-ish capacitors in most AC-DC power supplies. I wonder if a capacitor popped in the charger?

I seriously doubt it was as bad as they made it sound... probably scared the crap out of them though! :-)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.