Replacement battery cost

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

Battery cost
Photo of Gary

Gary

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,868 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
We will have two options for replacement batteries available for purchase separately in the very near future on homedepot.com.  The 2.0Ah battery (that currently comes with a purchase of a blower, string trimmer or hedge trimmer) will be available for $129.  The 4.0Ah battery (that currently comes with a purchase of lawn mower) will be available for $199.  
(Edited)
Photo of Daniel

Daniel

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Wow!  $129 for the battery when the entire kit (tool, battery, & charger) only costs $199, that's crazy, it's almost more worth it to throw the thing out when the battery dies instead of shelling out almost 3/4 of the original price.  I understand that the great thing about these tools is the battery, but I think that price point is going to turn off a lot of people looking for alternatives from gas powered machines.

Official Response
The battery is warranted for 3 years. If your battery needs to
be replaced after that time, instead of replacing your string trimmer to get a
new battery, you could purchase another of our products (blower or hedge
trimmer) at The Home Depot and then you will have a new battery and two
products that use that battery.

You are correct to think that the battery is the highest-cost
component of the string trimmer kit. Another way of looking at it is that the
kit, at $199, is a deal! If you were to purchase each of the components in the
string trimmer kit separately online (string trimmer, battery and charger), the
cost, including shipping, would total $308.98. 

Photo of Jenni

Jenni

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I purchased this mower at Home Depot 2 days ago - the Home Depot salesman told me that if I register the mower online, I can get the battery exchanged for life - which totally sold me on the product.  The product information that was included did not say anything about this.  I need to verify that this is true - because if it is not, I may return it.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  Unfortunately, we do not offer a lifetime battery exchange.  I am sorry for the error in communication from your Home Depot.  We offer a 3 year warranty on all of our batteries and chargers.  There is a 5-year warranty on all of our tools.  So we can avoid this issue in the future and properly communicate our warranty information, which Home Depot did you shop in?
Photo of Jenni

Jenni

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Sw Tulsa #3915
  • 8880 S Delaware Avenue
  • Tulsa, OK 74137
  • (918)299-3028

Thanks Jenni.  We will contact the store.  We appreciate your help!
Photo of Daniel

Daniel

The battery warranty should be the same as the tool since one is useless without the other. That just tells me that the company doesn't have any faith in the battery. 56 volt is uncharted waters.

Thanks for raising the issue, Daniel. Actually, you won’t find a longer battery warranty in the outdoor power equipment industry. Our 3 year warranty is proof of our confidence in our batteries.
(Edited)
Photo of Bob Long

Bob Long

Echo battery operated mower has a warranty of 5 years for their battery
Photo of Bob Long

Bob Long

I am researching the different types of battery operated mowers and had it narrowed down to the EGO and Ryobi until I came across the ECHO. Pretty much the same price but the selling point for me was the extra 2 year battery warranty. That is probably a savings one two batteries or the initial cost of this unit.
Photo of Bob Long

Bob Long

Great reviews on the EGO but extra battery warranty is a great selling point.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,102 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Jennifer's comment is over a year ago, thus at the time was 100% correct.  Sure they have competition in the battery powered market, but their battery design is still an Engineering WIN.  My wife may let me buy a 7.5ah battery if EGO releases an Edger.  HINT HINT.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,374 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Bob, have you seen this Ego vs. Echo battery tear down video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRdBS9oFUXc

It would seem the Ego batteries are much more advanced than the Echo.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Score!  The same guy did a charge time comparison!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RZ9oCqcCrY
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Just finished watching, and the Echo battery takes almost TWICE as long to charge, 58 minutes (on the "30" minute charger!) vs. 34 minutes for the Ego on the 40 minute charger.  Wow.

The 4Ah Ego only takes 27 minutes to charge on the 30 min charger!
(Edited)
Photo of Bob Long

Bob Long

I will have to take a look at these videos as I want to do all my homework. I don't mind the charge time as two batteries will get my front lawn completed as then back law will wait until the afternoon. Interested in the teardown video though to see how they compare vs one another. Thanks for the suggestion.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.