Remove battery to take the bag off to empty it?

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
Do you really have to remove the mower battery every time you take the grass catcher bag off to empty it?   If so, is that because it's physically in the way somehow, or as a safety precaution?
Photo of Larry

Larry

• 178 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Bryan

Bryan

• 9,288 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I have never done this. Bag comes off and goes on just fine with the batteries in place. I suspect it's a safety precaution that they have to put in the manual for legal reasons.
Photo of Parrish Tung

Parrish Tung

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I never have to remove battery to empty the bag!
Photo of Larry

Larry

• 178 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks.   In the online manual that I saw, it said to remove the battery first, which would be a darn good reason to not ever use the bag!
Photo of Chris

Chris

• 934 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
And a darn good reason not to buy the mower...lol. I've never removed mine either.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,376 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Owners manuals tend to go overboard for legal reasons; that way, the manufacturer is covered.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 10,500 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
If the battery is in the mower, it is possible that the blades may start turning at any time (due to a faulty switch). If you are changing the bag at that point in time, it's possible the blades could throw something out the chute at you, which is why the manual gives that warning.

(Of course, basically nobody actually follows this warning, as the risk is very low (needing both a faulty switch and something for the blades to hit and throw out at you while you are changing the bag).

Of course, I DO remove the battery before I turn the mower on the side to scrape wet grass out from under the deck....because the risk with an unexpected activation of the blades is much greater in that case.

Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 67,058 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
This, all of it. The mower is considered live when a battery is installed.

I never remove the battery when I remove the bag to empty it.

William E Hanson

Summetj, just push the green button to disengage the battery instead of removing it, the when you're ready to mow again, just push the battery till it clicks.
Photo of Peter Wachter

Peter Wachter

• 1,334 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
If one empties the bag ten times during a lawn mowing, and follows the maufacturer's suggestion to remove the battery each time, the electro-mechanical components associated with battery removal and refitting will be subjected to an order-of-magnitude increase in wear-and-tear. I'm curious. Did EGO take these R&R cycles into consideration in engineering the components? BTW I've written the overcautious boilerplate copy for electrical product instructions. I take instructions seriously but in this rare instance I never remove the battery to empty the bag. Seems to me that TWO SWITCHES would have to be defective (closed) simultaneously to deliver power to the motor and thus spin the blade. Like others have mentioned, the mower would also have to be suddenly sitting upon a pile of projectiles that have magically increased in elevation from the moment the mower was stopped for bag removal. From the manufacturer's POV I get the CYA mentality. From the user side, a solid common sense approach allows us to live to mow another day. 

William E Hanson

Peter, but you're not thinking like a corporate attorney.
Photo of Peter Wachter

Peter Wachter

• 1,334 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
William, Most corporate attorneys would think it appropriate to have a landscaping service or just own a condo or townhome. Don't you think? Like I said, I totally get the CYA position of the manufacturer so in essence I am empathetic to a corporate attorney's area of responsibility. But just for giggles, note that the manual states: "Mow only in daylight or good artificial light." This suggests that the headlights are a "throw away" superfluous feature perhaps included to help bolster the bulleted marketing copy, or, just to light the way for the after dusk trip back to the tool shed. Lest anyone read me wrong, I have yet to find the product lacking in ANY respect. It gets the Robert Bosch Seal of Approval in my book.
Photo of videobruce

videobruce

• 234 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'd bet there were instances of something happened emptying a bag where the mower started or at least started to move for some reason or another. That's usually what prompts statements like this.

BTW, I would never cut grass in the dark. Frankly, they shouldn't put lights on these in the 1st place.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 100,974 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
the lights are a great feature that allows me to mow into dusk and darkness to finish the job.  The mower is quiet, so it is no problem to mow late.
Photo of Matthew

Matthew

• 4,330 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
That’s why I like the lights, it sucks to try to get it done after work or something and have to stop because got dark to fast.

William E Hanson

Although I haven't had to mow after dark, but like the option for if/when I need to.