Relocating to New Zealand where their power is 240 volts

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
I want to take my EGO lawn mower with me to NZ. Will the charger cope with 240 volts?
Photo of kiwigirl

kiwigirl

• 196 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 18,812 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Probably not, but customer service is best to answer that. If not, sell it here and buy one there if available. You can ask customer service that also. 1-855-EGO-5656 (1-855-346-5656). Call early during the workday to avoid long waits.
Photo of kiwigirl

kiwigirl

Thanks. I did leave them a message but got quick repose from this forum. They did call back and say No! But offered no work around. I’m now trying to find if I can buy a charger down there. They are all 56v batteries, here and there.surely that would work?
Photo of Tae Cooke

Tae Cooke

• 1,622 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
The label on both charges says they're rated only for 120V 60Hz. However, once you're there, you can buy the necessary charger: CH5500E. I found it here: https://www.mitre10.co.nz/shop/ego-rapid-charger-56-volt/p/270048 (a look at the picture shows the label as 120/60, but it's probably a stock photo. The manual says the proper voltage range). I highly suggest at least keeping your batteries. Looking at that site, prices are pretty high. Shipping them may be problematic though...you're only allowed 100Wh per battery * 2 per person, up to 160Wh with airline permission, so you'll have to boat ship them :|
(Edited)
Photo of kiwigirl

kiwigirl

Yes, I am having my goods loaded into a container and shipped.
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 18,812 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Go to amazon and search for "step up step down converter". One if these may be your most economical answer.
Photo of Tae Cooke

Tae Cooke

• 1,622 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Only if the charger is ok with modified sine wave. It might work, but may overheat things.
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 10,068 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Many of the step up/down converters are just large transformers, which preserve the pure sine wave, so as long as the VA rating is high enough (say 800 VA for the quick charger?) it should be fine.
Photo of kiwigirl

kiwigirl

Thanks Tae. Overheating is what I’m afraid of. Not sure if a converter/transformer would work . I’m hoping I can buy a charger separately down there
Photo of summetj

summetj

• 10,068 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Yes, buying a 240v specfic charger is the best solution....but with a good step down transformer using a 120v charger on 240v source isn't an issue. You just need the big one rated for 500-800 watts, not one of the little tiny ones designed for a 50 watt shaver.
Photo of kiwigirl

kiwigirl

I think you are right! Now I know Mitre 10 has them for sale seperately, that’s what I will do. Thanks!