Regreting 21' SP mower purchase

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Not a Problem
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Personal

I've had my 21' SP mower for most of the summer (Late May) and was pleased by its performance, so much so I purchased the blower and trimmer. Now that fall is almost here and my lawn isn't always completely dry (dew) this thing makes an absolute mess leaving a mass amount of clumps behind. This mower doesn't lack power, it just does a *hit job of bagging. After my last cut I had to drag out my old gas mower to pick up the clumps because this mower just couldn't do it.

I'm afraid HD wont take it back because I've had it since the end of May.

I gave this mower so much praise all summer to my peers now I'm a little embarrassed hoping none of them purchased one on my recommendation.
Photo of Jwm jwm

Jwm jwm

• 300 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 21,706 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I know exactly what you mean.  I miss my Honda Harmony.  I don't like regrets, but that's one for me.  Honda no longer  makes the same unit as what I had--the one with the Xenoy deck.
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Dave. Im going to find you one of those exact mowers. The. You can buy it again. Dont want you taking that big regret to the grave. ( i'm just giving you a hard time :)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

LOL!    Like I said, I kept the Ego because it's fairly quiet and NO FUMES.  Otherwise, I'd never have sold my Harmony.  I expected a reduction in mowing efficacy, and that's exactly what I got, switching to a cordless mower.  Many years ago, I tried a B&D cordless.  that one went back within a week.   :)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Soooo. Why is all you say negative stuff? It seems like your fine with the tradeoff you made.
Efficiency is the wrong term. As far as efficiency goes, the ego is like 5,000,000% (random number) more efficient than any gas mower. If its time efficiency you mean, well. Sure. Its a battery, not a gas engine.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

• 14,510 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Is there anyone up in here who can live without cordless screwdrivers?
Photo of woodmoto .

woodmoto .

• 60 Points
I have makita screw guns and drills and the batteries last for years charge after charge after charge. I am a professional cabinet maker and use them every day. My EGO mower battery is suddenly worthless after 1.5 years. $200 for a new one every year and a half? Mine is going to the recycle center, mower, charger, and battery.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The battery and charger have a 3 year warranty—and 5 years on the mower—you might as well get a warranty repair/replacement and sell your working equipment.

My nearly 3 year old mower, hedge trimmer, batteries, and chargers all still work perfectly, except for the one battery that Ego replaced this year after about a 5 minute phone call. Any early failures are probably very isolated issues and are well backed by Ego's warranty.

Or you could just throw your well-spent money away by trashing your Ego investment.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Your battery is covered by a 3yr warranty, why not just get it replaced? The new one might last ten years, and should assuming no electronics issues.

BTW, I'm with you on Makita, I've been using and loving their LXT lineup since 2008 without a single hickup. Having said that, lots of people had issues with early Makita 3Ah batteries. My Ego mower battery is still going strong 2yrs in. No company produces 100% defect free products, that's what warranties are for. :-)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Sell me your mower. Dont send it to the recycle center.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I didn't write "efficiency".  You did.   I used the correct term and thanks for the condescension.
(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Wow. I reread it. Crazy how a word gets read wrong when your reading fast. I saw it as efficiency. Not as you wrote efficacy. I apologize.
Photo of joe

joe

• 996 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
With all due respect, grass should not be cut when wet, nor should one cut it down more than 1.5"-2" at a time. You might be asking it to do too much. This is based on 40+ years of cutting grass. Not just talking out of my grasshole. ;-)
Photo of John Cole

John Cole

• 496 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
All lawnmowers ( and rides ons ect) struggle to collect wet grass, if it's damp or wet use the mulch option.
Photo of David Holt

David Holt

• 1,200 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I'll be the first to admit that there some minor tradeoffs with this mower, but that's life. Just because you can cut wetter grass, or mulch twigs and debris with a more powerful mower doesn't mean you should. If anything, I'm more worried about this Fall-it will be my first battle with leaves. From what I've seen so far, it will require a couple of passes. Still worth it to me though.
Photo of joe

joe

• 996 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have run thru dry leaves without issue. I have also found that the dry leaf debris helps to clean the deck of dried on grass as it spins around.
Photo of Sharon Beasley

Sharon Beasley

• 1,872 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I don't remember any gas-powered mower doing great with  damp grass.  I mean it is just natural, it seems to me, that the stuff is going to stick together.  I seldom mow when the grass is damp.  I love the EGO more than I mind the fact the wet grass clumps with it.  I have the push it myself version.
Sharon in Oklahoma 
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

I'm just hoping that next summer they don't come out with a bigger and better one.

Hate when that happens.

(Edited)
Photo of John Cole

John Cole

I want them to come out with a 'ride on' going off the power on me 56' it shouldn't be a stretch, though a ride on from Elon Musks Tesla factory would be the 'bees knees'
Photo of David Holt

David Holt

• 1,200 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Ha ha...likely will be a riding mower that looks and handles like a Carrera.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Since you bag your grass and your only complaint is the lack of suction when the grass is wet, I'd recommend trying the new high-lift blade when it comes out early next year. It's designed to improve the bagging performance.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Yeah, I'm gonna gamble the $20 or so on the HL blade.  (actually, not a gamble--I can always return it if it doesn't work better for me than the standard blade)
Photo of mowoman

mowoman

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Will that high-lift blade do a better job of mulching?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The HL blade is not designed for mulching. Some of us will try it out anyway and see how it works, but that's not its intended application.
Photo of mowoman

mowoman

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Why not?!  Let us know how it works, please.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

You want a great mulcher?   Get a gas mower with twin blades.  Everything else is "mock turtle".
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Like a honda? A honda harmony with a xenoy deck? Is this is what you are referring to? Hmm...
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

• 8,606 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Funny thing...my neighbor has one of these and I see it clump the grass sometimes. They always seem to be mowing when my wife and I are on our deck relaxing...and man is it loud!
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I ran my mower in the garage for a few hours with the door closed today and it was quieter than a lawn service mowing the front entrance of our subdivision 3 houses away.

My old Harmony was at least as bad as the 21" Ego for clumping.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Perhaps when you mowed with your Honda, you mowed much taller grass??  Seems that many here, knowing the limitations of a cordless mower, automatically mow a whole lot more often, so that they take off less than a couple of inches.   And were your Honda's two blades sharp?   I find it hard to believe that if your Honda had twin blades such as mine, the grass wasn't overly long, that it didn't mulch well.  Oh, and did you mow counter-clockwise?  That should reduce clippings bunching up.
(Edited)
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

I just weeded a flower bed of annuals that were spent.  Put them all in a big pile, couple big piles actually, roots and dirt and all, and guess what I did with them?

Drum roll...................

Mulched the crap out of them with my mower.

Photo of Exrace

Exrace

ROFL
Photo of Jwm jwm

Jwm jwm

• 300 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thank you Home Depot!!!

So my last cut was Friday with the old gas mower. no rain in over a week just a light dew and when I tried to cut today Sunday only 2 days growth... the mower was leaving clumps behind. I don't mean a bit of clippings I'm talking a real mess. So in my frustration I finished up with my 15year old Honda and went to HD right away. I spoke to customer service told them my mower was purchased end of May and asked if we could do something. The girl spoke to her supervisor I got some odd looks and said I'm willing to take a store credit she said ok. in the end they actually gave me a full refund.

great summer mower not so good in early fall I could only imagine first cut in the spring. EGO, try again your really close to having  a competitor to gas, just not quite there in my opinion.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I have to agree, the Ego mower is no where up to the overall experience of using a Honda Harmony (for example), other than it is quieter and no fumes.  Quality of cut for me isn't hugely different, but the lack of suction  and poor mulching prevents it from matching the performance of excellent gas mowers.  Ego's advertising splashed all over the box is highly misleading.  Oh, and it's not as durable--the blade is soft, and some folks report total failure after hitting objects.   Gas mowers just keep on going if the hit something such as a rock or metal sprinkler head--they don't suddenly QUIT until some component is replaced as the only issue usually is a nicked blade, or if one is unlucky a bent shaft.

(Edited)
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Keep in mind if ego did make their mowers the same as gas mowers with suction, and matching all the same qualities, EGO would have a different complaint, too short of run time. The mulching issue, I cannot relate to, but a better mulching blade, or a mulching kit or something NEEDS to be offered for those who have invested in this product. The 20" mower mulches fantastically. The 21" i do not have so i cannot comment on that.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Just a thought, but I know in my case I was comparing to my old Honda and the 21" Ego does just as well. However this was a 10+ year old mower. I took good care of it and never noticed any drastic decrease in performance, but I'm sure it didn't cut just as well as it did brand new. And it is entirely possible that newer Honda models perform better than even their best mowers from over a decade ago did when they were brand new.

That said, my 21" Ego performs very comparably to my old Honda, and with hours less maintenance every year, and no worry about keeping gas on hand, flushing the fuel line after using, changing the oil, not leaking fluids tipping to sharpen the blade and clean the deck—I really have a hard time seeing proper maintenance being a negligible factor in comparing gas and electric mowers.

I could understand that being less important than cut quality, but the cut quality I am seeing just isn't any worse than my old Honda, so I am happy. If newer Hondas really perform that much better, I'm glad ignorance is bliss!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I have the 20-inch mower and I do get a small line of clippings on the right side of the mower, but only when the grass is extra thick or a little damp. I just overlap a little bit on the next pass and that takes care of it.

I'm sure a good gas mower would give a slightly better cut, but in the climate where I live (upper Midwest) the Ego does a very good job. I'll take that, plus the convenience, over the hassle of gas any day.

But I can see that not being the case farther south.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Here's what I'm paranoid about - that they are going to come up with another one bigger and better, next summer.

That in itself leads me to think it wouldn't be a bad idea to return it while I still can.

Cuz I would hate if that happened.  IF not, buy it again next summer, cuz I do quite dig it.  (I bought it in July)

Anyone know if there's anything bigger and better on the horizon for Ego?

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

It seems more like Ego is on a two-year cycle with its tools rather than annual. Although that's not to say they might not issue a fix of some kind for the mulching problem some people are having with the 21-inch mowers.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

The original 20" mower was their only offering for two years. I would expect the current 21" mower to be around at least that long. I think pressure from the competition forced Ego to get a slightly larger and more powerful mower to market. That, and they wanted to release the self-propelled feature too.

If I had to guess, I'd say we'll see at least three years out of this mower before a new one, but that's just my gut feeling... I have absolutely no idea. :-/
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Keep in mind you arent renting your mower. Kind of dishonest to do something like that unless you truely have a reason to return it. That kind of thinking really hurts companies. If everyone did that, well, there wouldnt be an EGO anymore
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

I do agree Jacob - but - (my big butt)...I've had NO problems with mulching, until tonight.  I've been mowing probably every 3 days, and I let it go I think 6 days, and there's grass all over the place.  I'll have to go over it again tomorrow to chop it all back up (didn't have enough time tonight)  At this point I have no problem doing that.

Tho I fear (a bit) that when the honeymoon wears off and I only mow once a week or so, next season, I may join the ranks of those disappointed in the mulching.

However, keep in mind that for the first 90 days (due to HD's policy) we are indeed "auditioning" the machine.

Just brainstorming anyway, it could have been just a passing thought.  I do still have high hopes for the high lift blade, that's my major beef, lack of leaves picking up.

I got rid of my Honda (dual blade) and really don't have ANY desire to go back to gas.

And, it bags fine and I can always go back to bagging.

(Edited)
Photo of John Cole

John Cole

Don't know where your coming from, over the years I've had Honda and other 'superior petrol mowers' ( and associated. petrol equipment) and this Ego stuff just leaves them trailing in the dust.
The only downside is that it is imported and doesn't produce employment for the people using/enjoying the product.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

I changed oil less than once a year, and tipping my Honda Harmony to the right did NOT cause anything to leak out, unlike your experience.   (and it cut just fine after 10 years.  I'd sharpen the blade very rarely as it rarely hit a pebble and the material it was made from was much more durable than the Ego's blade.  It too more effort to sharpen the Honda's blades due to the harder metal).  I didn't really have a complaint about having to do a lot of maintenance on the Honda.  Resale value was great--$200 after well over 10 years, is fantastic.   I seriously doubt you'll get even $100 after 10 years of using the Ego. 

My ONLY desire to try the Ego was for lack of fumes and noise.  Period.
(Edited)
Photo of John Cole

John Cole

"Dave " in the UK, a channel that regurgitates old comedy,
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

I never changed the oil on my Honda mower, and never sharpened the blade, tho I did replace it once when I hit a rock.

But it was a pain in the ass every spring to get it to start (yes I did the new fuel and spark plug stuff) and 3 times I had to take it to the shop for a ~$100 repair to get it to start.

That's what inspired the Ego purchase, I'd had enough of that crap, and it was probably about 7 years old.

Photo of Dave .

Dave .

ah, I didn't have trouble starting it in the spring.  I used Stabil.   You likely didn't.  Am I correct?

You can't expect a gas-powered engine to start or run properly if the gasoline is many months old, unless it's had some type of stabilizer added to the gas prior to the "storage" period.
(Edited)
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

I always put in clean (new) gas and a new plug like I mentioned above.  Then always starting fluid to get it going, except for those 3 times it didn't want to stay running and had to go to the shop.

I actually had it at the shop in July, then slept on it, called them and told them not to work on it, and decided to put that $100 towards this Ego.  (I later let my sister fix it and keep it)

I really don't miss that crap.

I cleaned up yesterdays clippings mess tonight, it was pretty painless.

Photo of Richard

Richard

• 812 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I'm just disappointed.  Having had the 20 inch EGO that I sold to get the self-propelled model, I regret doing that.  For some reason the 20 inch did a 10 times (estimate) better job of "recycling".  I generally leave my grass fairly long and only cut about 1/4 inch each time.  You would think the mower could suck up and re-cut that small amount.  And, yes, I do sharpen my blades.  It's time EGO comes up with a replacement blade that does all of us some justice.  This is my first, very negative, experience with this company.
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Bloomz, first of all there is no real need top replace a sparkplug every year.  If you put in fresh gas in the spring, of course it would take some effort to get the mower to start, as the carb would either be empty, or it would contain "last season's" gas.  Neither scenario would make for easy starting.  All you should have done was to put Stabil into the tank when you expected to store the mower for the winter, as well as run it for about 5 minutes to be sure the Stabil reached the carb's fuel bowl.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

You're probably right that I didn't take very good care of it I never changed the oil in all those years.

But I did do what someone told me and that was turn off the gas and run the carburetor empty and that's why I had to use starting fluid every Spring.

But I'm still glad it's gone. I never liked the self-propelled thing because the tires spin so often and knobby tires were impossible to find for it. I even tried putting small lag bolts in the tires to get traction and all that did was tear up my lawn and I felt it was going to make the clutch fail. I think it was just too heavy because I don't have the spinning problem with the Ego like I did with the Honda

I'll remember this however IF I ever go back to gas so thank you.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Bloomz, I ordered replacement rear wheels from Amazon for my Harmony mower.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Dude, I looked everywhere to knobby tires for that mower and no go.  I could find replacements, but they weren't work out, and the problem was, the tire tread to flat and the mower too heavy and I needed knobby tires to get traction - not to be found - anywhere.

That's why I went the extreme experiment of lag bolts (I musta had about 20 per rear tire) to try to get some traction.

So I either had slick marks from tires spinning or trenches dug when the bolts would spin.

And, my yard is perfectly flat.

No I'm no fan of that Honda mower one bit.  (And I know Honda makes the best engines, because it was my choice of motorcycles as well)

Photo of Exrace

Exrace

I can't imagine the ruts my 2004 Honda CBR1000rr would make in my lawn!
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Xzactkly, I had the 1800 VTX and it were HEAVY.

I loved it, but I didn't love the mower  - lol.

Photo of Dave .

Dave .

Miss my GoldWing
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ex, put some lag bolts in that CBR's back tire and you'd have the world's fastest trench digger! :-)
Photo of Exrace

Exrace

I am working on a mowing wheel kit for my CBR. In winter I mount a paddle tire for quick work of the snow on my driveway.

:)

(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

D'ems fer wheelies in the dunes! :-)
Photo of Dudedigital

Dudedigital

• 432 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Guys, that Honda Harmony though. True love. Who needs a wife? She can't mulch through 6 inches of wet grass without leaving clumps. But my Harmony, she's one hell of woman, er mower. I miss her per-fumes.
Photo of Steve breech

Steve breech

• 412 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

For sale:

Slightly used EGO self propelled mower.

Mower cuts poorly, the blade just pushes grass over, RPMs are so low on blade there is no suction. Mower is very poor at mulching and bagging. But it does have little dinky kiddie style headlights.

But this MGR is a "VERY" user friendly company and they have a "FEEL GOOD" forum for the users to use. Users complain for years about the mower's poor performance, the MFG does nothing about the complaints and the bloggers are all happy. If you blog a lot, the MGF gives you useless points so the bloggers feel important...but the MFG does nothing to fix he mowers problems.

This is wonderful country!

Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Steve, life is too short to allow a tool to make you THAT unhappy. Get rid of your mower, move on with your life, and stop wasting your valuable time worrying about those of us trapped in this useless space hopelessly addicted to the company cool aid and it's terrible products... we're too far gone to ever see the light.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Ill buy it. How much? I would love to have it
Photo of John Cole

John Cole

And the sooner Trump is president the quicker we can dump all this environmentalist rubbish:)

^^^^^irony/ sarcasm, for all the trump supporters(:)
Photo of John Cole

John Cole

What do you want for it And postage? Got the big arsed 56, and it's the bees knees for me main lawn, but could do with a smaller mower for my smaller awkward sized lawns.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Ah, hyperbole. I doubt customers have complained "for years" about a mower that has been on the market for seven months, but I hope you feel better after getting that off your chest.

That said, try Craigslist.
Photo of bloomz

bloomz

Lol
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

:)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.