Regional 20% Home Depot Price Cut on Mower ($399!)

• Praise
  • Updated 4 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

Just saw a comment on an Ego Facebook post mentioning that the mower kit is $100 off right now at Home Depot, making it just $399!

Turns out this pricing doesn't apply near me in GA, but I saw many posts online saying that this price is showing up for other zip codes. I even saw someone who said they were able to get the discount by selecting store pickup in a different zip code, then changing to free home delivery during checkout.*

*I am not encouraging anyone to try this. But the ethics of price discrimination are shady at best, so finding a way to get around them is really just righting a wrong.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,892 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,052 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-20-in-56-Volt-Lithium-ion-3-in-1-Cordless-Lawn-Mower-LM2001/204746234...

You're right.  Here's a link to a store in the New Jersey area.  Why should they get the mower for $100 less than the people in my area?  Not selling as well?  Personally, I don't think the mower is selling like hotcakes anywhere.  Of course I don't have the sales numbers.

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

$70 more than the bare mower for a rapid charger ($100) and 4Ah battery ($200) is really a steal.

But just knowing that it's $100 less elsewhere makes the regular $500 price seem really unappealing, even if it is a fair price and a good value. Does pricing discrimination EVER not backfire?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,540 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I really wish EGO would get out of Home Depot and allow some competition against full retail price.  EGO is selling the mower to resellers at a price, let the resellers fight it out.  God I wish Amazon was part of distribution, especially with the batteries.  If Zoro can sell them at around 300, imagine how much lower it could go.
Photo of Rob

Rob

I guess it all depends who they can make a deal with.  With Amazon, you can't put your hands on an item because they have no retail space.  On the other hand, Amazon has such a big customer base because of their convenience and customer service that sales could do well there.

Ego, if you have a great product and you know it, don't enter into one-sided contracts. 

Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 80,888 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
All, we do appreciate your comments on our contract with Home Depot and are taking everything into consideration for the future.  Keep up the good conversation.  Should we make any changes in the future, we'll be sure to update everyone.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 65,956 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I was just at a Home Depot here in Iowa and it looks like this is the new price on the mower, not just a sale or temporary cut.

In fact, I'm just within the 90-day return period, so the manager refunded me the difference! So, anyone wh recently bought the mower, dig out that receipt and head to Home Depot.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

FINALLY got a price cut at my local store.

Apparently everyone in the south is made of money, and supposedly we don't mind blowing an extra $50 on a mower that is sold for less everywhere else in the country???
Photo of Rob

Rob

I'm guessing that Home Depot just thinks we're the least informed.

Gotta love the more Ego products online message. All that empty space in the store and Ego parts don't fit.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

I'm thinking that it is a matter of region selling out a mowers purchased at the higher cost from the manufacturer before they cut the price.  FIFO of inventory.  What hurts is that you can get a mower with a 4ah battery for almost the same price as a single 7.5ah battery.  Yeah, I'm whining, only because I could really use it, but can't afford it.
(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

Yes, you are whining...lol. i am very guilty of the same. Also know you are right. I should not be able to buy an entire mower, battery, and quick charger by adding $20 to the price of a single battery.

With the kit I can cut my entire lawn. The battery alone is useless.
(Edited)
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

Glad I'm not alone in my sulking  :)
Photo of Michael

Michael

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
As of today:
Memphis - $449
Little Rock - $429
St. Louis - $399
Lower anywhere else?
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,234 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
$449.00 in Greer, SC
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

That's a lot of driving!
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 53,234 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey, he's really into price shopping.  You should see his coupon portfolio.  It takes 5 hours to check out at the grocery store.  :)  Just having fun with you Michael.
Photo of Michael

Michael

• 260 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
HA HA!  Just four hours.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.