Regarding "WARNING: Some dust created by power cutting contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer..."

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Hi,

In the manual for the mower and other equipment I purchased it states, "WARNING: Some dust created by power cutting contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm. Some examples of these chemicals are:

- Lead from lead-base paints
- Crystalline silca bricks and cement and other masonry products, and
- Arsenic and chromium from chemically-treated lumber."

One of the primary reasons I purchased these products was their environmentally friendliness. When I hear wording like this it makes me think that when I use the product I am sending toxic dust into the air. Is this accurate? Can you explain exactly what is in EGO products that's considered toxic? If it is as bad as it sounds, is there anything you can do to prevent sending this kind of dust into the air?

Thank you for your help.
Photo of Tim

Tim

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 36,932 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
That sounds like a catch-all warning that is probably required on all motorized equipment sold in CA. Let's not forget that just being outside is also known to CA to cause cancer, as it involves sun exposure, breathing air, etc.

If they haven't already, at some point CA birth certificates will probably require a disclaimer that being alive is known to cause cancer.
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Having lived in California for a few years Ibefore moving back to Texas, I fully understand.......
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 72,176 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The warning isn't really about EGO tools specifically. It's a warning that any power tool can potentially kick up dust you might not want to inhale.
I actually went with Ego because I didn't see the prop 65 warning on the box, whereas other brands had it all over the boxes. I know this is an old thread, and I am buying right now. Any update to this? My daughter has pulmonary hypertension, so we move pretty conservatively in the realm of warning labels, etc.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
John, it would seem that label has less to do with the tools and more to to with what you're doing with them.
Photo of TK

TK

• 4,196 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Everything in California causes cancer.....extreme views...
Photo of Papajack

Papajack

• 594 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

How long have you been cutting your yard?  Are you dead yet?  I would not loose any sleep over this.  Just enjoy life.

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

It's not so much about mowing the lawn as it is, for example, using the chainsaw to cut up chemically treated lumber or wood that has been painted with lead-based paint. In those cases it's not an entirely bad idea to wear a face mask.
Photo of Tim

Tim

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I hope you're right Ken. I thought perhaps the equipment contained lead or some kind of toxic chemical. It would be good to hear from EGO regarding this. Is this a warning label you see on any type of powered lawn equipment? I hope it is a catch-all warning not specific to equipment.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

I am right. I've been seeing these California-mandated health warnings show up on lots of products recently. I don't know why the increase because it's from a law passed in 1986.

You can read more here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=3234041
Photo of Dominic49

Dominic49

• 2,676 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Brushed motors create graphite dust which can cause lung cancer in super high quantities. (think stuck in a closet with a motor running 24/7 for the next 30 years type of quantities)
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
There could be a warning label of some sort on everything.. It's not the equipment, it's about the dust that may be potentially caused by using the equipment....any equipment.
(Edited)
Photo of Denise C

Denise C

• 6,334 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Tim, thanks for the question. This warning is required on every lawnmower that is sold in California, regardless of brand, type, power source, etc. It has nothing at all to do with the EGO product, specifically. You will see the same warning in user manuals for power drills and saws, just to name two more. I hope this information is helpful.
(Edited)
Thanks. That is helpful, but still curious. The blower from Ryobi seemed pretty specific to the unit itself creating health hazards, but I could be wrong.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 178,712 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Paint containers always warn about the risks involved with removing old paint. It's got little to do with the product itself, just a CYA statement from the lawyers
Photo of Dave .

Dave .

• 20,460 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You can't buy donuts in California without seeing those stupid warnings.  I know.  I live in CA.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.