Red light on, HD service to take 4-6 weeks

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: CS

Talked to EGO support and they think the main circuit board is bad.  My only option is to take it to HD service and the two local HDs I contacted say that they will have to send the mower out and it will take 4-6 weeks to get repaired.  I truly like the mower but not being able to get it serviced in a timely manner is a deal breaker due to the inconvenience and extra cost to keep the lawn mowed for such a relatively long time.  I understand that parts fail, but I can't see any reason to stay loyal to the product line if I can't get a tool fixed in a reasonable amount of time.  
Photo of Mark Pennington

Mark Pennington

• 302 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,202 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The mower doesn't run at all? A red light could just mean the battery is below 15% charge. Do you have any other batteries to try in the mower or any other tools to try the battery in? What does the charger do when you charge the battery?

I thought the mower light was just a duplicate of the battery's indicator light since you can't see it inside the battery compartment. Is the light on the battery green but the light on the mower is red?
Photo of Mark Pennington

Mark Pennington

Mower runs.  EGO thinks it's the circuit board b/c the mower will start with the handles all the way pushed in, which it shouldn't do.  

And truthfully, the problem hardly matters.  The issue is the ability to get these products serviced in a reasonable time.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

If it's working then would keep using it until the end of the season.

Ego mowers have only been on the market for a couple of years and all of them are still under warranty for at least two more years. There are probably very few shops who want to train on repairing Ego equipment when they might not see their first one for years.

I would imagine the repair network will continue to rapidly grow and expand as the demand for repairs on Ego equipment increases.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,078 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Because the handle locks are a safety feature, there's likely a liability issue if Ego doesn't recommend sending it out for repair.
Photo of Mark Pennington

Mark Pennington

I understand the new product/repair network issues, but EGO needs to come up with some creative alternatives, such as maybe a loaner program, to keep people like me, who truly like the product, as fans.   
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,100 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Loaner program. Now thats a brilliant idea. Seriously brilliant. Why dont you have a loaner program ego?
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

• 956 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Agree about HD being the only service option. What do they care about our EGO once they sold it to us, they're just a conduit for the repair and it just takes up their time and effort. HD is in the sales business, not the repair business. That's why HD never repairs anything, they just swap it out. EGO made a bad decision using HD as the go to repair entity but it may have been their only option at this point.
Having said that, setting up a nationwide repair/support chain is expensive, EGO has to provide a parts stockpile which they don't have; they barely have the parts to build their products, train people, set up contracts with vendors etc. Much too early for EGO. Then there's always the competition breathing down their necks. The Hondas and the other gorillas have certainly noted EGO's success and are ramping up their technology to compete as we speak. These guys already have repair chains in place. Eventually EGO may have to take on a big partner to survive. 
I like my EGO 21SP, the price was just a bit more than a top of the line Honda 21 but not that much and the technology and design are first rate.
Photo of Brennan Breene

Brennan Breene

• 464 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Wow, that is totally unacceptable.................. I am still not sure what I think of my new SP 21 inch from HD. Lets just say after knowing this I am keeping my old Lawn Boy.. 
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

• 3,612 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
If something is necessary it worth it /the cost. I think Ego should come up with what Mark suggested. A loaner program.

On another thought, if HD is sending to a non home depot shop then it seems the exorbitant time has to do with shipping or the other entity.

Another idea..

If it's shipping then the customer should at least be given the opportunity to provide an extra fee for faster shipping!

An option to send directly to a single Ego shop. 1 shop to set up. This though would require a rework of the contract with HD.
Photo of Brennan Breene

Brennan Breene

• 464 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Another other idea.... I can't think replacing a circuit board would be that hard. I had to do so recently in a commercial drum sander and it was a piece of cake.  At least they should supply the part to this guy ASAP. 
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I think the issue is the shipping cost, which is surely over $100 round trip. Based on the length of time I am betting that HD is using their reverse logistics process to ship these from the stores to a distribution center and then trucking them to one or two repair facilities. Just a guess.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

I think David may have nailed it.

But I'm tempted to check with UPS to see what their shipping would be. Or FedEx... USPS.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Having a spare mower at each of HD stores (2,200 @ 3 main countries) sounds expensive but their are a lot of sales too?

Idea........ This may be a good one that doesn't step on HD feet in a contract...

How about 1 loaner per 4 stores that can be transferred between them for the customer to pick up at a later date (within a week)! Until their mower comes back!
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,100 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Soooo.. opening the mower is well, not a good idea. Lots and lots of parts. And more pieces and other things everywhere. I like to mess around with things, but the mower I opened up is still open. It has a bad controller and good motor. I want a controller, but i understand why EGO doesnt sell the parts. Because they don't. Want to warranty an opened up item. I think after warranty periods for the first units is up, they will have to sell replacement parts. Then I can build my hover mower. :)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,078 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
I would agree, Jacob. At some point the parts will need to be available. If not, it's almost a guarantee that the tool will end up in a landfill somewhere if it breaks as the cost to ship to/from and labor+parts will greatly exceed the cost of simply replacing the tool.

Not too green, in my opinion! :-)
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Blu, now that is logical thinking! It makes sense.

BTW, do you or anyone know what is the date the first Ego tool was sold?
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Let's bottom line this shall we. The mowers are sold with 5 year warranties. No arguement there. Ego, as the manufacturer needs a coherent and timely way to repair those mowers that need it. Ego as well as all of us know that electronics break. There is no excuse for an owner to have to wait a month and a half to get something that may be used up to twice a week repaired.

Having your repair network setup in such a poor way doesn't instill a lot of confidence in those that may be looking to purchase your product. I am sure owners would accept a 3 year warranty if it were a swap out type.
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

Good summary. UPS 2nd day air is over $400 for a 100 lb package with the EGO package dimensions. Ground would be cheaper but longer I imagine and corporate negotiated rates cheaper yet but still not cheap.

What we're all missing in this discussion unfortunately is what is the failure rate and failure types. Neither do we know how the EGO factory is set up and how they process failed units, priorities etc... It's something only EGO knows and I imagine they base all their repair decisions on tables and statistics; same as any other business would. The failure rates could be very low. As it is now we're stuck with an ugly turnaround time that only customer pressure and complaints can influence. So the pressure needs to continue.
(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

I agree the pressure should continue but I wouldn't expect you to get much backing here. People tend to go along to get along.

Consumers have the ability to get exactly what they want from any manufacturer but they fail to use this power time and time again. They allow the manufacturer to give them what they feel like making.

We need a high lift blade that is available overseas and we won't even get that until Ego decides to release it here. NOT the way the process should work.
Photo of DavidH

DavidH

• 1,814 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
As owners of EGO equipment, we will all need to use the "EGO repair service" as our equipment ages. It is important that EGO has an efficient and timely process for those people that supported their product in the first place. This is a very important issue and will impact EGO Sales in the future as word gets out about the repair process.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,068 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
All, we appreciate you chiming in here and know that we do take these complaints seriously.  We do not have plans, at this time, to make service-level parts available to the public (this includes motors, circuit boards, etc.).  We partnered with The Home Depot for repair thinking that it would be the most convenient for most people as they have more conveniently placed locations than any service centers we considered in the past.  We are escalating these issues and we're sorry for all of the hassle that any of you are going through.  If we make a change to our service program, we'll be sure to update everyone.  
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

The big issue is not do it yourself service; that just comes from frustrated users that need their equipment serviced in a timely manner ie. 2-3 days; maybe a week at most. HD is not a repair facility; it's just a collection point for shipping to EGO, then it has to be shipped back; there's a week or two lost to the customer. If you like HD why not have them repair faulty units. HD most likely won't agree to that so why not authorize independent repair businesses at strategic locations around the US. There's one near me that repairs virtually any brand in a few days. They have a large clientele, are professional and reliable. There's at least one in every large city like that. That would be a start.

Fred, The Home Depot actually does have repair facilities.  Some stores can do repairs on site, some stores have to ship them to their own Home Depot centralized repair facility.  They don't ship off to EGO and then we ship them back.  That's not the process. Regardless, we agree that the turnaround time is less than ideal and are investigating better solutions.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Jennifer, can all stores that do mower repair on-site service Ego equipment? Is there any way to get a list of the stores that have on-site repair?
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

Good to know HD does repairs, so as David asks can we know which ones are doing the repairs to save some shipping time?
But it's still confusing, I have five HD near me all within a 30 min drive. I'm sure one of them is a repair facility, then why is it still 4-6 weeks? Makes no sense, something is still wrong. Do they stock parts or are parts ordered to fill the repair order; or....are they backed up, or....are they not trained properly, or....still makes no sense. It should be less than a week turnaround at the very most.
 Looking forward to the HD list.
Photo of Rob

Rob

The problem is that she is not going to give you a list of the repair facilities even if she has them. We have asked for a list of repair locations many times before and never got an answer.

I would love to be proven wrong but I don't think I will.
(Edited)
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

Not surprised.

These are good and reasonable questions. As the retailer, the designation of repair facilities among their retail stores is, of course, a Home Depot decision. This information is not shared with their vendor partners, including EGO. Our best suggestion is that you call the stores near you and ask.

Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

The issue gets weirder as more info is received. EGO doesn't know who really maintains their equipment. HD keeps it under wraps. No wonder it takes 4-6 weeks. For all we know our equipment could be bounced around HD stores until someone decides to address it and EGO is completely out of the loop. How are HD people trained and who keeps statistics on what went wrong, what parts failed etc.? EGO is at HD's mercy it seems. Wow. So if I complain to the store I brought it to and they're not the repair facility, then what?
(Edited)
Photo of Rob

Rob

Interesting point. Ego doesn't seem to have any control of the repair process on their own products.

Wow, who did Ego hire to do their contract negotiations. If they paid him or her,mother got ripped off.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

HD may still pass some statistics on. Jennifer's post really doesn't say specifically.

"designation of repair facilities among their retail stores" seems to indicate that Home Depot is performing the repairs.

But still as Fred says, the repairs might be performed outside of Home Depot?
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

So training and statistics could still be controlled and received. Possibly Home Depot employees are sent out for training and return back to their stores to do their jobs.

It seems to me that Ego is not tracking where the certified employees live.

Let's just be careful not to circulate information that isn't accurate. I'm not saying any of this information is not accurate... Just so you know.
Photo of Rob

Rob

Hence the word you saw in both posts.....seems.
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

Agree with the Rock.
However it will be totally up to EGO to get the information right, we'll be speculating until the truth is out. After all we're the ones shelling out the bucks.
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I would expect that Ego is able to get more information than they are able to publicly divulge. Surely there are performance thresholds in their contract and reporting or periodic reviews to back it up.

If Home Depot actually serviced your Ego equipment and their service didn't meet your expectations, the best thing you can do is provide Ego as much ammunition as possible to bring to a business review with Home Depot.

All the unsubstantiated complaining in the world isn't going to help Ego force Home Depot to provide better service or terminate their agreement for breach of terms and replace them with another service provider.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Jennifer is saying that Home Depot is doing the repairs. She didn't say anything else.

She has two posts above. Here they are for easy reference.

"Fred, The Home Depot actually does have repair facilities. Some stores can do repairs on site, some stores have to ship them to their own Home Depot centralized repair facility. They don't ship off to EGO and then we ship them back. That's not the process. Regardless, we agree that the turnaround time is less than ideal and are investigating better solutions."

"These are good and reasonable questions. As the retailer, the designation of repair facilities among their retail stores is, of course, a Home Depot decision. This information is not shared with their vendor partners, including EGO. Our best suggestion is that you call the stores near you and ask."
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

I really hope I'm not stepping on people's feet. Apologies for any of that.
Photo of Rob

Rob

The situation is just not ideal for the customer. I am sure the customer would not care much if repairs could be done inside of a week but it seems that isn't the case for the vast majority who have posted on this site about it.

It's just not logical to take 4 to 6 weeks to repair a mower that really doesn't have any moving parts.
Photo of Fred Tarnay

Fred Tarnay

Exactly right. Basically two major moving parts excluding the wheels. Sure would be nice to have a parts diagram and parts list. Bet it would be a short list.
Photo of Kid Rock

Kid Rock

Fred, anyone...

I started a thread to detail all the parts and added some photos from a site. Check it out....

https://community.egopowerplus.com/eg...
Photo of Rob

Rob

If the mower is built properly....as both the 20 and new 21" mowers appear to be, the non moving parts shouldn't really be a problem.

With the few moving parts, the odds of them breaking should be very low. To me this means that the mowers should be able to be accepted in a few select places, fixed fast, and returned.

If you want to be the best in the industry, strike some sort of deal with a carrier....ups, usps, FedEx, etc to pick the mowers up and return them. That's 'white glove' service for a mower that has a 'white glove' price. The most expensive 21" mower costs more than Honda's top of the line push mower in my area.
(Edited)

We appreciate everyone's comments and we're taking them into consideration for possible changes to our service program moving forward.  We are closing this topic and will reopen it if/when we change anything.
Photo of Mark Pennington

Mark Pennington

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Service Issue, Red Light on, Continued.

Jennifer:  we appreciate your comments and concern.

I think it's safe to say that as consumers, we don't know or care how or where the product we bought from HD is serviced if it can be done in a reasonable time.  The reality is that the repair service isn't even close to acceptable and that is not only a problem for us, but a problem for EGO. 

EGO needs to, I hate to use the cliche, "think outside the box" on this issue to keep us early adopters as fans. Get creative with loaners, exchanges or something that the marketing folks can come up with until EGO can improve the repair process.  It may not be immediately obvious, but  I suspect that it would be cheaper for EGO to give users like me a new mower than to have to fix my current one and have me telling all my friends and neighbors that "I love the mower, but I wouldn't buy it because it takes too long to get it repaired".  

If EGO doesn't come up with a better process it won't be long until all the positive product reviews are going to be offset by service and repair complaints, which would be a shame because I do think the mower is a great product for many of us.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.