Real world performance review of the 7.5 Ah battery, BA4200

• Praise
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • (Edited)
As I am probably one of the first "average joe" consumers to get a hold of this battery, I thought I would post a review for the community and future google hits. The two current "reviews" on the product page are not genuine. 

While I am a big fan of the Ego Mower/ecosystem, I was always a bit aware that I was still using a battery powered tool. While the power was good, the battery life limited me to 1-2 recharges to get through my lawn/blowing/trimming. I could typically get through ~90% of my front/side lawn before my 4 Ah battery died, typically around 30 minutes. Never did I get the 40 minutes as advertised. While it does charge quickly, having to stop and charge sort of ruins the experience. Enter the BA 4200:

Box instead of blister pack

4.0 Ah on the left, 7.5 Ah on the right

Tests today were performed on a lovely midwest afternoon, partly-cloudy, low 70s. I have found that having a clean-deck and sharp blade makes a huge difference in battery life. Blade was freshly sharpened before mowing with an angle grinder!

Here you can see how the large battery fits in the extra space in the battery compartment:

The family!

So how did it perform? In short, I was blown away by the performance of the 7.5 Ah battery. I was able to get through my entire lawn in about 45 minutes of continuous use. As it was showing no signs of stopping...I mowed almost the entire lawn again! My final runtime was 1 hour and 14 minutes of continuous use, much better than the 30 minutes with the 4 Ah battery and more than I was expecting. I also had less orange/yellow lights come on while mowing, although the sample size of 1-mow is not yet enough to conclude if thats a larger battery related finding. 

I feel like this larger capacity battery is a real game-changer for those of us with medium sized yards that could not be done with a single charge of the 4 Ah battery. Kudos to the engineers at Chervon for thinking ahead with the mower design to be able to plug in the larger sized battery. I was previously worried that I jumped into the battery powered sector a generation early, but now with the larger battery the mower is a real treat. 

The biggest drawback obviously is the prohibitive cost. Hopefully as time goes on the prices will come down as well. Interestingly my battery was made 11/2014, so it took them a fairly long time to get these to market it seems. 

Can't wait to plop this bad-boy into a snow-blower this winter season!

Photo of Paul

Paul

• 754 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Alex

Alex

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Great news. I too have to swap batteries during my mow and this would solve that problem, but $375 is a little hard to swallow for the convenience of not having to swap. Glad to see the performance is that much higher. 
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

• 37,182 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I'd love to have this new 7.5Ah battery. I would also love to drive a Tesla model S. Alas, both are way out of my price range unless someone gives one to me for free or I hit a lotto Jackpot.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,538 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Amen brother.  Same boat here.  I purchased an extra 4ah battery last year, that was hard to take.  I'm ok with 2 4ah batteries and 1 2ah.  I always have the juice I need.  The 7.5ah really is the Tesla of batteries, way out of my price league.
Photo of SLG

SLG

• 588 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
You made so many posts on this site. Hope Ego can honor your wish for the battery in exchange for a review
(Edited)
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

Ha!  If that works then I'll be over on some Tesla community if anybody needs me!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,788 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Great review Paul! So nice to finally see this battery in use!
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Paul, wow!  Thanks for taking the time to share your pictures and honest feedback.  We're so happy to hear from you and so proud that you are pleased.  Please consider posting this on our website as a review as well (pics and all) to help everyone.  Thanks again!
Photo of SLG

SLG

Wow, that is amazing performance.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 346 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Jennifer is too shy to say it but:  Chervon is a highly reputable company and wouldn't sell you something you didn't need.  Now that you have a super battery, the Chervon folks recommend that you move to Florida and then you won't have to spend the extra money on a snow blower.
Photo of Frank

Frank

• 324 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
First I am glad you are happy with your purchase, but what size is your lawn (measurements).  Second, forget the snow blower, these type of batteries don't work well, if at all in cold weather.
Photo of SCDC

SCDC, Champion

• 54,358 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I honestly doubt a snow blower.  I would think an Edger would have been on the top of the list this year and I guessed wrong.  The edging is kicking my rear this year without a dedicated edger.
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 754 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Edger, Pole Saw, Snow Blower. I think once people invest in a battery system, they have somewhat of an obligation to provide a full range of tools. 

Sadly my guess for the next tool is an extension hedge trimmer, as you can find images of it if you are sneaky with searching. 
Photo of SLG

SLG

Really, I need a pole hedge trimmer now. 
Where did you find it? Can you share the link?
I think I want a vacuum, and an LED flashlight, radio, pole-saw, lantern, fan, and USB charging thing.  
Photo of Frank

Frank

• 324 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The competition's Snow Throwers (not blowers) will only work on Light Fluffy Snow.  Read the specs.  I guess you could use it on a small paved city driveway, providing that the snow isn't too wet or deep.  Maybe EGO can do better and make one that will move moist/wet snow @21" by 10" deep and have the battery last a lot more than 50 minutes.
(Edited)
Photo of Stan

Stan

• 1,674 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Paul, thanks for the great review of the new battery and the pix you attached are fantastic!  I'm going to start saving my pennies now to order one.  I, too, have to recharge my 4AH and 2AH batteries (one each) twice just to mow my entire lawn.  Edging and trimming means recharging again.  I have just under 10K SF of grass to mow with a lot of landscaping to mow around plus a steep hill to cut for 1/3 of the yard.  So the 7.5AH battery should get me close if not all the through the mowing on a single charge.  But the price is keeping me from ordering it now and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the price will eventually drop over time.

Stan Fayfar
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Zoro has the 7.5 Ah battery for $337, and Zoro just sent me a coupon good for 20 percent off, which would make it about $270. I'm so tempted to pull the trigger at that price. I'm going to have to make a decision after I see how much money I spend on a vacation later this month.
Photo of Stan

Stan

Count me in on the flash sale also!!!!

Stan Fayfar
Photo of SLG

SLG

count me in!
Photo of David Cline

David Cline

I see online that in past years Zoro has done a post-Independence Day flash sale around July 5th. But apparently whenever they announce a 30% off sale their site quickly crashes and you won't be able to load product pages to add items to your cart, although you will be able to apply the code to anything already in your cart and check out.

No idea how reliable any of this info is, but I went ahead and logged in and added a 7.5Ah battery and a blade to my cart, just in case.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks, David, I just added the battery to my cart. At 30 percent off Zoro's price I'll bite!
Photo of Stan

Stan

David, Thank you!  I just did the same.  Their price is already 10% lower than Home Depot for the 7.5AH battery, another 30% off that just makes it too irresistible to pass up.

Stan Fayfar
Photo of Rob

Rob

• 9,072 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Glad to see a real world test of the battery.  As posted above, I too have 2 4ah batteries and 1 2ah battery.  I have to use both 4ah batteries to cut my lawn but I'm not paying $380 just so I don't have to switch out batteries. 

$200 was actually too much for another 4ah battery.  The price on this one is waaayyy out there.