Rain on Equipment is inevitable!

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • In Progress
Using EGO in a Commercial Lawn Care business.
Summer thunderstorms are going to happen.
Getting caught 100 yards from the truck in a down pour is going to happen.
Driving in the rain with equipment in the racks is going to happen.

SO........How do you prevent the rain from Killing your EGO equipment?
Photo of SCOTT

SCOTT

• 676 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Pete Innes

Pete Innes

• 2,626 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Not had an issue with rain yet. We pressure wash our mowers everyday too with no issues so far (had them 2 years). We take the batteries out and wash them top and bottom after the days work
(Edited)
Photo of SCOTT

SCOTT

The mowers have more protection from water due to the battery "lid" that closes vs. the trimmers , blowers, etc more open design. Have you had any experience with rain and those other pieces of equipment?
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 153,596 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
As Pete points out, Ego’s equipment is well sealed. However, Ego officially recommends against pressure washing their equipment. ;-)
Photo of SCOTT

SCOTT

How about the EGO powerhead or trimmers?
Anyone had those in some heavy rain?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 47,784 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I know the new carbon fiber weed trimmer has an IPX4 rating, so it should at least be good in the rain.
Photo of SCOTT

SCOTT

Its my understanding that all EGO equipment carries the IPX4 rating????

In that case a light rain or short thunderstorm should be OK, but a 30 minute drive at 50 mph in a heavy rain?
I don't know?
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 47,784 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I suspect they do since they're intended for outdoor use. I just happened to have the owner's manual for the new trimmer in front of me, so I had it fresh in mind.

I've hosed dirt and crud off my 20-inch mower with no ill effect. I'm careful not to spray up into the motor shaft, though. But getting caught in a rain storm shouldn't be an issue.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

I think Pete has the most convincing experience with the tools so far, and by the sound of it he makes no effort to keep them dry.
Photo of Lehigh Lawn Pros

Lehigh Lawn Pros

• 3,462 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi Guys, I also run a commercial lawn service, here in SW Florida.
 I usually won't start a job if it's raining, but many times it will start raining while the the job is in progress. When that happens, I'll usually attempt to finish, even in light to moderate rain.

I never had much problem doing this with gas equipment, but it is certainly something that I'm concerned about now that I'm using the EGO equipment.

Today was my first experience using the regular EGO 15" Trimmer (Not the PowerHead version)
in light to moderate rain. Here's what I did: I took one of those plastic grocery bags (like they put your
groceries in at WalMart, etc.) and covered the battery end of the trimmer, tying it a little loosely so that the battery/electronics could ventilate underneath. It worked great, keeping everything dry
and functioning normally for 20 minutes or so in light to moderate rain. Once it stopped raining
I removed the bag and kept it in my pocket (in case it started raining again).

When finished with a tool I remove the battery, and I keep the batteries in a weather-proof box on my open trailer.

My EGO backpack blower got drenched on the trailer, but after it dried off for a while I installed a dry battery and it ran fine.

PS  The plastic grocery bags also work great to keep your boots/shoes dry and clean in light to moderate rain, or in grass wet from the morning dew. Just be extra careful when on slippery/painted driveways and going up/down the trailer gate. The bags will get holes in them eventually but they usually last long enough for the intended purpose, then just tear them off and dispose. And marvel at how clean and dry your boots are :-)

PS  You can also cover your trimmers/edgers with these bags while transporting in the rain.
I've done this for years with my gas equipment and I don't remember any of them ever coming loose as long as they are tied securely (double knot).

PS  I always mow first, then edge, then trim. In order to try to make sure that I get the mowing done before it rains. I can trim a lot better in the rain than I can mow (mowing wet grass is not the most fun you can have). It also makes the trimming much easier/faster. Also, this way, if I do really get rained out while mowing I can leave and come back later without a mess on the driveways/road from edging and trimming. Just a few things that I've learned from working in SW Florida during our very active and many times unpredictable rainy season.

Bob
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Good tips, thanks for sharing!
Photo of SCOTT

SCOTT

Bob,

Thanks for the tips.
How do you charge your batteries throughout the day?

Lehigh Lawn Pros

Hi Scott,
 I've only been using the EGO equipment for a few weeks so far,
so I'm still evaluating and validating new procedures.

Especially with the rumors of fuel prices possibly going way up this 
summer, it might prove to be a great time to transition to cordless electric.

I've invested in nine 5.0Ah batteries and standard chargers, which I charge
overnight at home.

I'm thinking that this will provide me with enough runtime for my needs.
If I need to, I also have a rapid charger that I could use in the field.
The customers that I've talked to about it have been very accommodating
about letting me use their outside AC outlets.

I had thought about getting a 1,000 watt gas inverter generator,
installing it in an enclosure on the trailer, and running the rapid charger off of that.
But, I decided to just buy more batteries and see how it goes.

I think if I get at least two years out of the batteries, they will pay for themselves in fuel and synthetic oil mix savings.

So, call it a great experiment, but so far I'm really enjoying the instant/effortless
starting, no exhaust, way less noise level, almost zero maintenance, and smooth/powerful operation of the EGO equipment.

PS  I have been using mostly the regular EGO 15" straight shaft trimmer
which I reversed the wiring on so that it rotates the right way :-)
It's very good and lightweight, however I have to run it at full speed most of the time
for acceptable results in our local St. Augustine grass.

Today I used the PH1400 PowerHead with the line trimmer attachment,
It runs really smooth and powerful with hi speed switched on and about 3/4
trigger. It has some reserve power when you need it. It also seems to operate at very slow speed more smoothly, which is important at times. I do a lot of "trimmer edging"
around brick borders and mulch beds etc. and it really excels at this.
Downside is that it is a little heavier than the regular 15" trimmer, and the trigger is 
a lot harder to keep held down (too much spring resistance?), I'm gradually getting used to it though, and overall it feels and operates similar to my FS130 gas trimmer that I've used for years.
  Also, with the PowerHead trimmer I can run the line a little longer than 15" by using .080 round line (gatorline) , which is tough enough, and runs very smoothly without oscillation or slowing down the RPMs. Plus, you can wind more footage on the spool.

Sorry for the long reply, lol

Bob

Lehigh Lawn Pros

---UPDATE--- 5-20-2018

We've had a tropical disturbance here this past week, and I've had to work in light to moderate
rain a lot.

The PH1400 PowerHead with line trimmer and edger attachments has been working perfectly in these conditions.

I don't use the plastic bag covering with the PowerHead because it has an air inlet/outlet and a fan
that I don't want to block. It's worked fine though without being covered.

I keep the PowerHead and the batteries in a weather-proof box when not in use.

I have been using my gasoline backpack blower (Stihl BR600) a lot this week because it makes faster cleanup in wet conditions than the current EGO backpack. We need a more powerful EGO backpack blower :-)

Bob
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 54,624 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Need that suggested double battery backpack blower
Photo of bigfootcountry

bigfootcountry

• 2,662 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Like Lehigh I run Ego handhelds commercially. I live in the Pacific northwest so we see our fair share of wet weather and so far literally zero problems of any kind with the handheld line regardless of weather. My trimmers and chainsaw ride exposed while my blower, hedge trimmer, power head attachments and batteries ride enclosed. I have seen the insides of a couple of their items and they look pretty well sorted out.

Like Lehigh I have multiple batteries....around 20 total....run two trucks and have no problem running at whatever pace is necessary to finish my day. I also have rapid chargers onboard and occasionally charge a 7.5 if I'm on a bigger sized place and have not had a customer say that I couldn't charge if needed....in fact they are happy to let me. I'm starting to set up a third truck and may put a charging system onboard consisting of deep cycle batteries, inverter, rapid charger and deep cell battery charger.

Commercial guys that say that battery equipment isn't there yet simply aren't committed to having enough batteries on board to run at the pace they need to finish their day. Once I committed my life got easier.

Jeremy