QUICK CHARGING ON JOB SITES/IN VEHICLE

• Idea
  • Updated 7 months ago
I would like to mount 3 quick chargers onto something but not sure which would work best for my needs. I want to utilize 3 rapid chargers attached to a 3000w inverter and deep cycle marine battery for use in the field on job sites. What would be the best way to mount these together on something I can use with a handle. Prefer not to mount into vehicle permanently, thanks all you egomaniacs!
Photo of Greg DeRossi

Greg DeRossi

• 246 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Greg DeRossi

Greg DeRossi

By background I am starting a eco friendly lawn/property maintenance business and will need to charge in the field, on the go. The commercial backpack is more of a wish list item now and this system will have to do until I have 1300 bucks to blow.

Thanks
Photo of Tom Koenig

Tom Koenig

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have been running my Landscape Maintenance business on all solar charged batteries...even my Prius Prime Plug-in for a few years. I had a similar idea originally but found it was easier and cheaper to just have extra lithium batteries (all Ego equipment). I then charge them with my solar panels when I get home.

As someone mentioned you would need a pure sine wave inverter (expensive) and several deep cycle batteries (heavy). A 3 thousand watt inverter pulls a lot of amps and without several batteries your voltage from the battery would drop quickly and probably trip the inverter's low voltage circuit and shut everything down. Don't ask me how I know this!
Photo of Greg DeRossi

Greg DeRossi

Great advice Tom!! Thanks for the input it helps greatly, I was wondering about how many batteries would I need to start out with for a full days work without stopping to charge? Also I was planning on carrying the rapid charger in my trunk for emergencies.
Photo of Greg DeRossi

Greg DeRossi

I currently have one 7.5 ah battery and 3 2.5 ah as well
Photo of Tom Koenig

Tom Koenig

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm not able to tell you how many batteries you would need because of all the variables (grass might be tall, thick, wet, leaves, size of yards, your pace behind the mower etc.).

I originally did bring my fast charger with me and would use an outside outlet at my client's homes while I mowed with another battery. They didn't seem to care, particularly after I let them know it was about a nickel's worth of power.

As my equipment wore out I kept the batteries from that old equipment and built up a nice reserve. I have a 7.5 ah (4) 5 ah and (2) 2.5 ah batteries. I should mention I now only work part time after doing this for forty years!

Good luck Greg! Glad to hear you're doing it clean!
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 108,696 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 108,696 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Would be easiest to get your customers to allow you use of an outdoor outlet on their property.  If they are interested in eco friendly, they may be interested in helping out in that small way.

More threads discussing

https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/running-a-residential-lawn-grooming-business-all-elect...

(Edited)
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

• 6,914 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Why not strap them to a rolling cart of some kind?   

Maybe not this one, but you could get one made or modified.   Maybe even lightweight aluminum or PVC
Photo of Sibyl Smith

Sibyl Smith

• 6,914 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Greg DeRossi

Greg DeRossi

I like the idea especially with cupholder, I was thinking of something to put into the front seat of my car, possibly a diamond cut toolbox or something of the sort? Just wondering if anyone had a better idea ?
Photo of James Brady

James Brady

• 270 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
If you have 5 marine batteries (12 VDC) hook up in series, why not do a direct DC charge of your EGO batteries and by pass the cost of equipment and the energy losses of the inverter to AC and the converter back to DC?  You may need assistance from EGO, if their batteries have a feedback safety lock.  
(Edited)
Photo of Greg DeRossi

Greg DeRossi

So is that a cigarette lighter plug inverter say with oh idk, 700 watts directly to a quick charger ?