Purchasing string trimmer

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • In Progress
Almost purchased today, but decided to read reviews....WOW That's alot of problems on an expensive trimmer Will not be purchasing till Co. Tells me all the complaints I've read about are NO LONGER an issue
Photo of Thomas Pfister

Thomas Pfister

• 70 Points

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 99,218 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Thomas

Ego tools are very highly rated 

As discussed many times - this site is a gathering place for those with problems looking for solutions.  This is not a proportional representation of customers and tool performance and reliability 

Look at Consumer reports, Home Depot customer reviews, and online tool reviews Kite Army etc and you will find Ego makes some of the best OPE available.

I would say the string trimmers are one of their most popular tools.

(Edited)
Photo of George E Corwin

George E Corwin

• 708 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I've had my Ego Trimmer for just 3 weeks, my first Ego product.  So far, I am very impressed!
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 99,218 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Glad you are enjoying it Gearge
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Thomas, as Ken said, better read actual reviews from reliable sources. EGO is by far, the best cordless tools I've ever used. I own the 21" self-propelled mower, snow blower, 2 leaf blowers, power head multi tool with string trimmer and pole saw attachments. All excellent tools and continuing to add more as they are released. Remember if you're not satisfied after buying at Home Depot, you have 90 days to return or 1 year charged to their credit card.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 65,350 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
William, Ken?
(Edited)
Photo of William E Hanson

William E Hanson

• 19,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Oregon Mike, short memory; meant szwoopp. Ken is a frequent Champion here, so it stuck in my mind for some reason.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 65,350 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yes, this is a place to help people with problems with their equipment. It's a relatively small sample size of all EGO customers but is very skewed in the negative because satisfied customers rarely post. Use this site as one data point. Read other reviews. You will find the majority are quite satisfied. Some of my EGO tools are in their 4th season and running as well as they did when new. Newer EGO tools that I have have all run well and still are. 
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,200 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
What szwoopp said. Go to Toyota and Honda customer forums and they're full of posts from people having problems, despite the fact they're two of the most reliable car brands.

Online forums designed for people seeking help with problems are going to be filled with posts from people ... having problems.

No product is perfect, but there's a reason Ego's tools have the longest warranties in the business. The company is confident in its products.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,200 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Also, not sure where you're reading all these negative reviews:

Amazon customer reviews

• 15-inch aluminum shaft trimmer kit: 4.5 out of 5
  • 15-inch carbon fiber trimmer kit: 5 out of 5
Home Depot customer reviews
  • 15-inch carbon fiber shaft kit: 4.7 out of 5 (1,815 reviews)
  • 15-inch aluminum kit: 4.5 out of 5 (2,505 reviews)
  • 15-inch aluminum shaft bare tool: 4.5 out of 5 (2,718 reviews)