Power Head availability?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Out of date

Amber and Jennifer
Can we please have some sort of update and/or explanation as to why products are unavailable.

High Lift blade - currently listed as unavailable or Factory backorder - will this product be available to purchase anytime this summer

Power head system - currently only the bare tool head and extension pole are available.  This does not even build a usable tool.  Will the kits and/or tool heads be available to purchase anytime soon.

Thank you
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,448 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of novadam

novadam

• 432 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
seconded.

My powerhead and extension pole arrive today ... but I can't do anything with them (except hang them in their new homes) until the string trimmer and pole saw are back in stock.
Photo of Sanjay Patel

Sanjay Patel

• 348 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Tried to use the string trimmer as an edger. Wow what a bad idea. I need the edger!!!!
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,984 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sanjay, it does take some practice. After a half dozen or so uses I'm getting pretty good at it. I'm really hoping they come up with some wheels to mount on the trimmer to help when edging. 
Photo of Sanjay Patel

Sanjay Patel

That would be awesome. Yea I tried it once ended up going through half a spool.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,294 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
This situation really comes down to supply and demand: public demand was higher than our vendors anticipated and thus, they sold out. Believe you me, Jen and I have been just as frustrated as you are, but what we all need to remember is that this is a temporary delay. We are actively working to restock and can definitively confirm that the high-lift blade, as well as the Power Head kits and components, will be available again this summer. Unfortunately, we do not have a specific date at this point. We will post an update as soon as new information becomes available.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Thank you for the update.  Obviously we would all like to hear tomorrow, but glad to know things are in progress.  And Congrats to Ego for out kicking their coverage.
Photo of Sanjay Patel

Sanjay Patel

Funny thing is there are no reviews for the $399 kit on Home Depot. Wondering how many were actually sold.
Photo of Zack

Zack

• 524 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
There are very few verified purchases on any of the Power Head System parts on Home Depot. The blame cannot be put on vendors when a product was designed to be an online only venture. If vendors were unwilling to make significant orders to meet demand, then perhaps EGO should have held back the product until a decent product launch was possible or sold the parts themselves.

It's obvious by now that EGO either dropped the ball on production or in choosing distribution networks. Home Depot has a line of products they want to push and it's not EGO.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,580 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
The multi-tool wasn't "designed" to be an online-only product. Many of us have our frustrations with Ego's exclusive deal with Home Depot, but that deal is in place whether we like it or not. And Home Depot --- the vendor --- chooses how many units to stock and whether they will be available in stores or only online. And Home Depot's executives seem to be slow learners when it comes to the demand for Ego's products.

It's obvious Ego would like to be meeting the demand for these tools, but they aren't a direct-to-consumer company. That takes a significant amount of infrastructure.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Not sure anything is obvious about the situation other than what we have been told. "This situation really comes down to supply and demand: public demand was higher than our vendors anticipated and thus, they sold out."

Other than that it is a lot of opinions shaped by our experience with the parties involved.
Photo of Zack

Zack

Ken, sorry to burst your bubble but it was designed to be an online only product, according to Barnaby.

https://youtu.be/4vXiLybRyyI?t=3m57s

That's why you see that Home Depot doesn't stock these like they do the rest of the EGO product line. 

Those who don't like the deal are nearing the end of our ropes. To assume Home Depot are slow learners when it comes to stocking equipment is ridiculous. Signing an exclusive deal with Home Depot, if that's the case, is a huge disadvantage to everyone except Home Depot.
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

In that video, Barnaby doesn't say it was "designed" to be online only, he just says it's going to be available online only, "because it's hard to get shelf space." Why do you think that is? Read between the lines. It's because Home Depot decided it wasn't going to give the multi-tool any shelf space. And now they're scrambling to restock.

Home Depot also decided the snow blower wasn't going to be carried in most stores, and the 575 cfm leaf blower was going to be online only.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Agreed... unfortunately it's Home Depot calling the shots. I'm sure if it was up to Ego/Chervon there would be a whole Ego section, fully stocked, in every Home Depot location.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

I am sure that would be their preference.  And to any say Ego made a mistake partnering with HD on an exclusive basis, I doubt many companies with a new product line of OPE would say no to that deal.
Photo of Zack

Zack

Ken, please let me know when you see "available in store" for this product line up. I'll leave it to you to read between the lines.

To get back on topic, would be lovely to have an official word more than supply vs demand. I would love to continue shelling out dollars to EGO if they could provide more info.
(Edited)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

need special glasses for that ?

Products will be available this summer.  No specifics yet. That is the official word
(Edited)
Photo of Zack

Zack

Glasses not included. ;)

Sorry Ken, you're not responsible for my frustrations. This official response is not forthcoming and strikes a chord; temporary delay being months. Basically my mind and money was already spent on this new product and now I have to look for something else. 
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

Zack, I understand your frustration and I don't blame you for looking elsewhere if you can't wait until July for the restock. I suspect Ego has been as forthcoming as they are able, given the typical confidential nature of such manufacturer-retailer agreements. But it has been made clear that it was Home Depot's decision not to stock the multi-tool in stores.

Maybe, if we're lucky, the unexpected demand will change Home Depot's position. But I'm not holding my breath.
Photo of TK

TK

• 548 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This plain and simple is EGO's fault.  There are far to many options and "kits" that they cant fill.  You can't get them even from ego so they clearly messed this up.  Loosing millions by the day... oops!
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

• 5,318 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I am pushing Home Depot to stock the multihead in stores. Given that Ryobi, Echo, Toro, Greenwork, Ego and others are going in This direction it just makes sense. Battery is the future of home tools now and will be the gold standard for years.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

• 65,000 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
All I see is Ryobi junk at home Depot. Such a waste of resources. Beth your awesome
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

TK - thanks for clarifying it for us
Beth - I hope you are successful
Jacob - Ryobi meets a market need at a much lower price point than Ego.  There is certainly room for both.  But it would be nice if HD would make some room on the shelves for more Ego stuff.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Would it ever be nice if people would stop throwing Ego under the bus...

I'm sure when Ego signed up with HD they didn't agree to HD's poor stock management and market demand forecasting. That was just a bonus...

If you guys really want something to complain about, come up here and deal with Home Depot Canada. You've got no idea how good you've got it! Lol :-)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

TK hasn't clarified anything. You can't get tools directly from Ego because they don't sell direct to consumers. You have to buy the company's products from retailers, and the retailer vastly underestimated demand for this new tool and didn't stock enough of them.
Photo of Mcklain

Mcklain

• 5,422 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
+1 On the Canada comment.  I have to make regular visits to the states near our border to get in on Ego products.  Heck Home Depot canada dont even have the 575 CFM blower!!
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Ken, thanks for clarifying. :-D
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

In the immortal words of Linus - Don't you people know sarcasm when you hear it !
Of course TK clarified nothing.  And he did it with the "plain and simple" superlative.
Photo of R Mercado

R Mercado

• 820 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Well this thread is certainly on fire today.  I'll keep my comments as brief as possible and limit to three points:
1.)  I have plenty of frustrations with HD, but likely they are simply slow to react and have commitments to the ICE machines.  With Ego hitting home runs like they are though with the right products and the right packages, if HD buries their head in the sand, yes, they will lose - any manager worth his salt can't ignore the reality of profit / loss and when you have a winner, you adapt quickly, especially as an exclusive.
2.)  This is Ego's iPhone - I don't think they could have even begun to imagine the success and demand for this product.  As big as Apple is, they are still struggling after 6 months with meeting demand for AirPods.  Apple has far more analytical resources and far more years than relative newcomer Ego.
3.)  I was lucky, and wasted no time, monitoring this forum, and putting in my order ASAP the morning the item hit the web - calling in fact to work through the obvious price discrepancy - many have read the play by play I provided.  While UPS caused a day further delay in delivery, I finally received the product and it is well worth the wait!  
Patience pays off - good luck.  Cheers!
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

szwoop, I'm unclear on what you mean. Care to ...

Oh, never mind.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Seems to be a recurring theme with you guys, you're always more popular than you think you will be.
Photo of Richard Clay

Richard Clay

• 372 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
We have both items in stock, 800-445-1994 ask for Rich
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Which company do you work for, Richard?

EDIT: Looks like Cantrell Turf Equipment

http://www.cantrellturfequipment.com/...
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Looks like you're an Authorized Ego Retailer also:

I hope you're ready for some calls! :-)
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

We have July 31 as our restock date. As much as I like the product Ego is a tough sell to consumers. The pros are not on board yet as the battery life just isn't there yet. In So Cal, many of the yards are small...under 6000 sf so consumers are opting for lower prices plug in models.

My advice is if you want the products in stores call, write, email and ask for it. Home Depot believes in this product, however the support for a full product stock just isn't there at this point.

Please remember...this is a new product launch in America. Building a presence takes time. Are there growing pains? Yes. Have mistakes been made? Yes. Will things improve in time? Absolutely. Thank you to everyone here for your thoughts and contributions.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Thanks Beth! Great insight as usual! :-)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Beth could you expand on "The pros are not on board yet as the battery life just isn't there yet. "
Do you mean years of history to have confidence in the product or are you referring to operating time or that batteries are failing when used in professional environment?

Photo of Richard Clay

Richard Clay

We are an EGO distributor and have stock on ALL products. We would be happy to help you with your equipment needs.
Photo of EGOPro#1

EGOPro#1

• 390 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Rich has taken great care of me!! 
Photo of novadam

novadam

I talked to him on the phone a little while ago and he seemed helpful and nice. Waiting to hear back if I'm in business. Hopeful!!
Photo of Richard Clay

Richard Clay

Happy to help Adam!
Photo of Richard Clay

Richard Clay

If you need to order EGO product from us, please do not call today 6/14 as I will be out of the office. I will be back 6/15.  Thank you 
Photo of Michelle Sanford

Michelle Sanford

• 226 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I only see the bundle listed on your company website. Do you sell the edger attachment by itself? If so what is the price? :)
Photo of novadam

novadam

That's the same question I'm waiting hear back from him on (edger attachment)
Photo of EGOPro#1

EGOPro#1

I bought the edger attachment only directly from him and it sounded like he had PLENTY in stock!!

Michelle Sanford

Is there a significant price difference or same price that it was offered at through HD? I'm in TX and there isn't anyone within the state or surrounding states that has anything.
Photo of EGOPro#1

EGOPro#1

same price as HD, plus FedEx and taxes...but you are right good luck finding it ANYWHERE else...especially in TX I tried hard LOL.

Michelle Sanford

That's great news! I wish this wasn't so difficult. I just wanna edge my lawn like all the other cool kids! lol
Photo of Sanjay Patel

Sanjay Patel

Michelle I agree.
Photo of Beth Walsh

Beth Walsh

Regarding the Pros not using the product line the most common explanation is the amount of run time per battery Many do not want the cost of buying multiple batteries.

One company bought 5 mowers and 10 batteries to give the platform a try. They are happy with the purchase. At full power the trimmers run about 25 minutes. A pro customer is looking for hours of uninterrupted usage. For them a backpack holding twin 7.5 hour batteries linked to the tools would be the way to go.

I believe down the road batteries will improve dramatically. There is a lot of curiosity about the product.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Thanks for the explanation.  Let them know a battery back pack exists in Europe, so hopefully just a matter of time until it comes to the US.
Photo of Zack

Zack

Just got my purchase order from Rich so I can confirm that it's the same price as Home Depot plus shipping. I'll let you all know when they arrive!

Thanks Rich!
Photo of EGOPro#1

EGOPro#1

My edger attachment will be delivered per FedEx tomorrow, I will let you know. 
Photo of novadam

novadam

I, too, just placed an order with Rich, who, I will say, has been a ROCKSTAR. I'll post up when my stuff gets here (going west to east coast so could be a few days).
Photo of Zack

Zack

Same here novadam, delivering to Florida. With all this rain we've been having my grass is growing like a weed! Can't wait to try out the edger.
Photo of novadam

novadam

Call me adam :)

I hear you. Been holding onto my B&D battery string trimmer and hedge trimmer so that I can sell them as a package, so I can at least keep things under control. When I heard the end of July from HD, my heart sank. So excited to hang my new trimmer attachment and pole saw attachment in the space I cleared for them in my garage!! Not to mention installing the high lift blade I bought from Rich, too!

It's like the week before Christmas and Santa Rich (Rich Clause?) just told me I'm getting what I asked for.
Photo of Zack

Zack

I've been using a Ryobi trimmer to "edge" my St Augustine grass. For those of you in the know, it's a complete waste of time! I nearly gave up on EGO entirely waiting for this modular set, checking HD everyday for the last 5 weeks. I even considered buying from a dealer while I was in Europe.

Sure hope it was worth the wait. :)
Photo of Zack

Zack

Update: Received my trimmer and edger today and went straight to work on the yard. Tons of power for trimming and the edger made easy use of my tough St. Augustine grass. Had to make a few passes but don't expect to do so every time, now that the edge lines are established.

Thanks again to Rich for posting in this forum. Had he not done so I would have certainly gave up on the tools and perhaps the product line as a whole.
Photo of David HD

David HD, Champion

• 35,094 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Congrats Zack on your new Trimmer & Edger.  I too own both tools and absolutely love the Edger - use this "bad boy" every week to edge my lawn.  Thanks for sharing the good news - happy cutting!
Photo of Tremayne Myles

Tremayne Myles

• 514 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Congrats Zack. No pictures??? Lol
Photo of novadam

novadam

My stuff just got here!!! THANK YOU RICH!!!
Photo of novadam

novadam

why did it rotate the picture?? weird, oh well.
Photo of novadam

novadam

all moved in :)
Photo of Zack

Zack

No photos yet, unless you want to see me out in the yard sweating my ass off in the Florida sun! Great setup, will post a few of my own later.
Photo of Tremayne Myles

Tremayne Myles

Lol Naaaannn that's ok lol.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

So it wasn't you who underestimated the demand, it was those who sell your stuff.  That is a little more understandable.
Photo of Darrell Jones

Darrell Jones

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Been waiting since these were announced...
Photo of Guy Deeble

Guy Deeble

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Another happy mower purchaser here, waiting for the combo set. Unhappy with the replies thus far, I completely understand underestimating demand, that shows you have a great product that customers want. Getting a real expected date would be nice, don't start giving us a run-a-round answer.....please

Photo of Alice Simpson

Alice Simpson

• 838 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
If it's just a matter of supply and demand, and if Chervon has the EGO products in stock (no lack of supply on Chervon's end), and if demand is high, I don't understand why Home Depot can't just order more product to meet their demand.  I also don't understand why Chervon/EGO doesn't sever its exclusive relationship with Home Depot if Home Depot cannot keep EGO products in stock.  The fact that Chervon doesn't choose another retailer, or better yet, several, makes me wonder how committed it really is to sell EGO products.  Chervon/EGO is losing business because of Home Depot's failure to keep up with demand.  For instance, I've been waiting for over 2 months for HD to get the Power Head and pole saw back in stock because I really need a pole saw.  But I can't wait forever.  I can always rent one and try to get everything that needs to be done in one day, and that's what I'm going to do if HD does not have these by the end of July.  But then I won't need a pole saw again until next summer.  It will be EGO's loss.  Multiply this by the number of people wanting to buy EGO products, and you're talking about serious money. Since Chervon/EGO doesn't seem to care about this loss of business, I have to wonder how much they really care about the American market.
Photo of novadam

novadam

have you guys (Alice, Darrell, Guy) tried calling Rich at Cantrell Turf? His contact info is up-thread.
Photo of Guy Deeble

Guy Deeble

It's early, I sent him an email (thank you Adam). these things are so expensive, I really want the combo to save at least $50....MHC1502. awaiting his reply if he has that. maybe I will wait.......the last reply I got said August to which I pointed out all these querries and everyone gets told 2 or 3 weeks but those dates keep passing by

Photo of novadam

novadam

Rich's prices are the retail prices. The only thing is, you'll pay shipping (versus picking it up in person at HD), so you might not actually save much of that $50. But I got the pole saw and trimmer attachments and high lift blade and I think shipping was around $50, so yours might be a little less if you get fewer and lighter items.

Also, you'll have the tool and won't be aggravated anymore, which is worth something. :)

Good luck!
Photo of novadam

novadam

Also, if you don't hear back right away when they open this morning, just give him a call. He's super nice and helpful, and he's usually the one who answers the phone.
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Alice. At this point I agree 100% with you. It makes no sense. No sense at all why you all can't get products. Super disappointed this year.
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Alice it is very disappointing to see so many people not be able to get the products they want.  But, I think it is mistaken assumption that Ego doesn't care about the North American market.  I think they (as any new vendor would be) were likely thrilled to be able to get into the NA market thru one of the largest retailers HD.  I would assume they take their product demand ques from their "partner" with long and successful NA retail experience.  I would also assume they will make changes as soon as they are able.
But who knows I could be completely off base.

In any case have you looked for other vendors in your area
https://egopowerplus.com/apps/store-locator

Or try Cantrell as suggested.
Photo of Darrell Jones

Darrell Jones

So this is being blamed on Home Depot??  I got my mower just fine through them.  Seems more logical that this was a manufacturing in quantity problem?  Otherwise it sounds like there is a fascinating explanation?  In any case, maybe Ego could be a bit more forthcoming as to when the items could be expected.  JMO

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Not an international shipping expert, but when the product literally has to get on a slow boat from China and then pass thru customs then get into the HD inventory, then get shipped out to HD stores, I am not sure exact dates are available.
They have given end of month and next month estimates on various items.
Photo of Guy Deeble

Guy Deeble

Okay I ordered from Cantrel same price but have to pay shipping.
I could have waited but it's done, now I'll wait for a deal on the pole saw
Photo of greekbecky

greekbecky

• 708 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I ordered from Cantrel as well, but didn't have a great experience. I never received an order confirmation email or any communication for several weeks, so I lost confidence and canceled my order.  I hope you fare better than I (and others) did with them.
Photo of Guy Deeble

Guy Deeble

Well he said in stock and ships today , but I'll keep this in mind!
Photo of MWagner-Diggs

MWagner-Diggs

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Request for Update on Power Head Kit Availability Originally Announced 4 wks ago.

Request for Update on Power Head Kit Availability Originally Announced 4 weeks ago. - Thanks
Photo of tomswhitney

tomswhitney

• 562 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I'm very frustrated.  I live in Central Florida and just purchased a home 2 weeks ago.  After a thorough search and review of all lawn equipment products, I chose the Ego self-propelled mower and purchased one from Home Depot a week ago.  I have to say that I'm very impressed.  The product meets and exceeds my expectations.

So... I went back to HD today to look for an edger/trimmer - hoping to buy an EGO product.  Not only did they not have the new power head products, but the store has stopped carrying the EGO mowers in-store.  They are now online only.  They only had 4 EGO products in stock and no plans to increase.  The sales associate that I talked to was totally flummoxed.  He said that the EGOs were selling as fast as they could get them but "Atlanta" decided to no longer carry them in the busiest store in the county!  On top of that, they squeezed the mower section from 3 racks to 2 and only have 2/10 models that are self propelled.  Anyone who has ever mowed St. Augustine grass know that it is VERY hard to push through.  What are these dingbats thinking?

I came home and went on the egopowerplus website and looked to see if I could order that way and found that everything is out-of-stock - at HD of course...  Amazon, as recommended by Amber, has a power head for $249 ($100 over MSRP) and Grainger, who comes up as the only authorized alternative to HD does not stock and would have to "look into" whether they could order one for me.

As nice as it is, I'm thinking of taking the mower back and exchanging it for a gas set.  For $549 I could get a Honda mower and a gas edger/trimmer.

As an engineer and a supply chain professional, I am concerned about where this company is going.  First, if they could not anticipate the demand, then someone in marketing should be sacked and sacked quickly!  Second, If they are exclusive to HD and they are taking the product off the shelf that does not give me the "warm and fuzzies" that EGO will be around long enough to honor the 5 year warranty!  Trust me, I get supply and demand, but if there is no supply, demand (like mine) will go away.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 179,968 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Ego is a brand owned by Chervon, a huge tool company that makes tools for numerous brands. As a company, it's pretty safe to say Ego isn't going anywhere. Ego's tools are also sold all across Europe and Australia, so Home Depot isn't the only game in town.

Home Depot massively screwed up their prediction for demand of Ego's new Power Head system, they were out of stock within a couple of weeks of the launch.

Your frustrations with Home Depot are shared by many. The in store stock levels are abysmal at best, and they devote precious little shelf space to Ego's products. Up here in Canada this is what my local store had to offer in Ego lawn mower stock the other day:

You can have any mower you want, as long as it's the $900 self propelled model, and youcan only have one...
Photo of tomswhitney

tomswhitney

At least you have shelf space!  :-)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

HD must have sent all the self-propelled mowers to Iowa. The HD closest to me has 47 of them in stock.

I hope someone at Ego is working with HD to sort out the stocking issue because HD is driving business away from the company.
Photo of tomswhitney

tomswhitney

I think that is their goal.  They are filling the remaining slot at my HD with Ryobi.  Last week when I bought mine, there were no Ryobis, so they had the EGO out.  Today they were gone.  The associate pointed up above the display and they had 10 or 15 units sitting there but not for sale.  He said that they may go on clearance tomorrow.  At least I can get a price match if they do...
Photo of tomswhitney

tomswhitney

Hopefully their HD exclusive will be over shortly.  I can't imagine it going much more than two years without some renegotiation.

Blue Angel: Thanks for the info re: Chevron.  Obviously they aren't going anywhere and maybe EGO isn't either.  HOWEVER, I could see them pulling out of the US market due to HD being such a crappy partner.  Having worked in a related industry in an international role that puts things in better perspective.  If EGO is HQ'd outside of the US it would make a lot more sense that they screwed up demand.  Figuring out demand in one country from outside is a real challenge since cultural perception plays a huge role.

When I worked for a large garage door manufacturer we designed a DC motor opener for the EU market and it sold like gangbusters.  In fact, we were in danger of losing significant market share if we didn't (and this was 15 years ago) because the market demanded it.  When we tried to sell it in the US, our marketing guys said "no way".  The problem was the US consumer.  Our best selling model was a 1/2 horsepower unit.  Americans love more horsepower!  The DC unit was only 1/5 HP.  It would lift a 100kg door 50k times without failing.  AND it was able to start and stop slowly and not beat up the rails.  But we were told the market would just not go for a 1/5 HP unit and pay more for it.  It eventually ended up being sold as a battery backup opener that could work when the power went out.  That justified the price and HP was not advertised since the whole gimmick was working when the power went out.

The whole 20/40/56/80V march is similar to the HP escalation with one big difference.  Higher voltages mean lower current for the same amount of power.  Lower current means longer life and better reliability, so in this case the marketing aligns with the technology better.

Gas mowers, like door openers are marketed by engine cc or HP.  EC units like EGO are marketed by the voltage (and to a lesser degree ampere hours).  I think the American (and I include our Canadian friends to the North in that) market has matured a lot in the last 20 years.  Coupled with the motor/battery technology that lets these mowers compete head-to-head with their gas counterparts, many informed consumers are looking for (as someone else put it) the iPhone of lawn equipment.  Someone missed that market change.

On the other hand, if it was just HD that screwed up the demand that would just be sheer incompetence.   lol
Photo of Jacob

Jacob

Horsepower cannot be caluclated from voltage. Amps are required. Which equates to watts. Which then can be converted to horsepower. A 12v. System can have much horsepower than a 30000 volt system...

My point is just to clear up any misunderstanding that a 72v system is more powerful than a 56v system. They are just variables in an equation. And yes amp draw will be less for the higher voltage, for the same power output.
Photo of tomswhitney

tomswhitney

We're both saying the same thing. I was referring to HP and Volts only as a marketing strategy. I wasn't trying to equate them. I know the difference.

Power is Volt x Amperes. A 72 V system is not as powerful if it can't provide the current. However 72V at 1 A would have the same power as 7.2V at 10A. Since power is also current squared times resistance (I^2*R) the one with the higher current will generate more heat if the load is the same.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Here is the downside with a higher voltage system: water can more easily damage it.  Higher voltage can more easily jump wires than lower voltage, but if the tool is well designed, it shouldn't be a problem.

Now, I have decided to go with EGO as my main lineup for my electric lawn business because of how quickly the 7.5Ah pack charges, 378 Wh/h (watt-hours per hour) on average compared to Greenworks's 288 Wh/h, because of EGO's 575 handheld unit and because of the powerhead system and because the reliability of the company has compensated for somewhat low tool reliability; two of the eight EGO tools that I've had in my posession have failed, but they were both promptly replaced.  Also, their blowers, excluding the old 480 units, do not have a loud fan whistle like the 80V units do and I found a way to increase their air speed which I have always complained about.  I'm sticking with gas when it comes to the mower until EGO comes out with a mower with manually-adjustable power.
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Wh is an amount of energy, Wh/h would be a rate of consumption or a power level. ;-)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

Or rate of power acquisition as how many watt-hours the battery gains per unit time on the charger on average.  Such could be simplified to Watts, but I decided not to do that just for the sake of lack of confusion.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

Gotcha! I should have tied that comment to the charging theme.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

By the way, if what I read on Home Depot is correct, Redback's 120V battery charges at a rate of 518.4 Wh/h, which smashes the record as far as I know.  I'm waiting for a 9 amp smart charger, why 9 amps and not 12 amps? cause you could get two to a 20 amp circuit breaker.  One of these would have to step its charging power down for the 2.5 and 2Ah packs and only go to full charging power on batteries that can take it, about 20 minutes max for packs with 2Ah cells, and 30 for packs with 2.5Ah cells.
Photo of Billy Hung

Billy Hung

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Can always order from Rich ^^
Photo of Tremayne Myles

Tremayne Myles

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Power Head Edger Availability? When?.
Photo of greekbecky

greekbecky

Thank you, Rich for a very easy and pleasant transaction!
Photo of Jas

Jas

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled When will combo kits be available? It looks great at advertised but it's allwa....
Photo of Karen

Karen

• 62 Points
Edger available this afternoon on Home Depot website. http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-8-in-E...
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

• 1,364 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I got an email alert at 1:25 pm the other day from Home Depot saying that the edger was back in stock. At 1:35 I got home and went to my computer and clicked on the link in the email that took me to the Home Depot product page. It already said "Out of stock online" :(
Photo of Darrell Jones

Darrell Jones

That's great, but without the power head #PH1400 I don't think I can do much with this...
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

Any further updates on the availability of the Power Head combo kit?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,132 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Have you tried Cantrell Equipment
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

Any ideas why EGO doesn't just sell their equipment online themselves from their own online store or even via Amazon? (Sorry if this has already been asked/answered some where). 
Photo of novadam

novadam

they do sell through Amazon.  same stocking problem, however (at least back when i was looking for the stuff i needed, before i found cantrell through this board)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 105,784 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Some items are available on Amazon.  I should receive my HL blade today thru amazon.  Not sure why the full line is not available.  Perhaps part of the HD exclusive contract.

Their own online store requires a lot of work and capital commitment with inventory, shipping, sales tax, etc.
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

Oh, got it, thanks for the clarification 
Photo of Amber F.

***UPDATE: The Power Head, Pole Saw, and Edger will be available again sometime right around the middle of August. We will post here as soon as we have a more specific date. 
Photo of greekbecky

greekbecky

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Home Depot: July Availability for Edger Attachment and String Cutter for EGO Pow....

I  left a message with Ego over the weekend regarding availability of the Edger and String Cutter attachment at Home Depot.  I received a voicemail from them on Monday informing me to expect them in July.  The caller didn't instill a ton of confidence, but I wanted to share this as many of you are waiting as well.  I just don't understand why they would launch the power system (resulting in added expense to the consumer) and not have enough inventory and/or not have Ego products in every HD store for purchase.  It's rather frustrating to have to jump through hoops to purchase an Ego product.
Photo of MWagner-Diggs

MWagner-Diggs

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I for one would like for a TOP official (President, CEO, etc) at EGO to step-up and take ownership of this situation and be upfront on the root cause whether manufacturing delays or other. While EGO is not the first company to encounter a problem of this type it. To me this is much more of an issue than the product shortage.
(Edited)
Photo of Guy Deeble

Guy Deeble

Exactly my sentiment, people simply want to know the truth
Photo of John Fm

John Fm

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It's embarrassing really. And I'm sure some executive has to be looking at this scenario as lots of lost revenue; demand is incredible and they can't meet demand.

And in today's market, you better strike whilst you're hot because consumers don't have that much brand loyalty anymore. I already know of several people who've returned what they own from EGO and just went with another brand due to availability.

It's almost laughable to not have stock of landscape products during the summer.
Photo of Woody Crandall

Woody Crandall

• 1,776 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This has been going on far too long to blame it all on the retailer (HD) and not adequately addressed by either. I finally gave up waiting and bought an Echo system. Happy with it , but would have preferred the EGO Combo Package. I'm sure there are others who have bailed with some loss of revenue , but I suspect the real damage will be reputation and perception.
Photo of Michael

Michael

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The most successful companies have long understood that transparency builds goodwill and silence destroys it. Assuming EGO's products attract educated, environmentally-concerned customers, you would think EGO execs would have been more sensitive to our need for, and acceptance of, transparent communication. The current situation is intolerable; EGO points the finger at HD purchasing and HD blames EGO production issues. I really want to support this company but they're doing everything possible to lose my business.
Photo of Amber F.

Official Response
We sincerely understand everyone's frustration and have already escalated this issue internally. Please know that we greatly appreciate everyone's comments and they are not falling on deaf ears. We are indeed taking your voices seriously, but change can take time.

As our goal is to continue fostering a positive, productive environment on this community, we are now closing this topic. We will reopen it if/when any further updates become available.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.