Power Head availability?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Out of date

Amber and Jennifer
Can we please have some sort of update and/or explanation as to why products are unavailable.

High Lift blade - currently listed as unavailable or Factory backorder - will this product be available to purchase anytime this summer

Power head system - currently only the bare tool head and extension pole are available.  This does not even build a usable tool.  Will the kits and/or tool heads be available to purchase anytime soon.

Thank you
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,500 Points 100k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of novadam

novadam

• 432 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
seconded.

My powerhead and extension pole arrive today ... but I can't do anything with them (except hang them in their new homes) until the string trimmer and pole saw are back in stock.
Photo of Sanjay Patel

Sanjay Patel

• 348 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Tried to use the string trimmer as an edger. Wow what a bad idea. I need the edger!!!!
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 71,984 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sanjay, it does take some practice. After a half dozen or so uses I'm getting pretty good at it. I'm really hoping they come up with some wheels to mount on the trimmer to help when edging. 
Photo of Sanjay Patel

Sanjay Patel

• 348 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
That would be awesome. Yea I tried it once ended up going through half a spool.
Photo of Amber F.

Amber F., Official EGO Rep

• 68,294 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
This situation really comes down to supply and demand: public demand was higher than our vendors anticipated and thus, they sold out. Believe you me, Jen and I have been just as frustrated as you are, but what we all need to remember is that this is a temporary delay. We are actively working to restock and can definitively confirm that the high-lift blade, as well as the Power Head kits and components, will be available again this summer. Unfortunately, we do not have a specific date at this point. We will post an update as soon as new information becomes available.
(Edited)
Photo of Darrell Jones

Darrell Jones

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So this is being blamed on Home Depot??  I got my mower just fine through them.  Seems more logical that this was a manufacturing in quantity problem?  Otherwise it sounds like there is a fascinating explanation?  In any case, maybe Ego could be a bit more forthcoming as to when the items could be expected.  JMO

Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Not an international shipping expert, but when the product literally has to get on a slow boat from China and then pass thru customs then get into the HD inventory, then get shipped out to HD stores, I am not sure exact dates are available.
They have given end of month and next month estimates on various items.
Photo of Guy Deeble

Guy Deeble

• 252 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Okay I ordered from Cantrel same price but have to pay shipping.
I could have waited but it's done, now I'll wait for a deal on the pole saw
Photo of greekbecky

greekbecky

• 708 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I ordered from Cantrel as well, but didn't have a great experience. I never received an order confirmation email or any communication for several weeks, so I lost confidence and canceled my order.  I hope you fare better than I (and others) did with them.
Photo of Guy Deeble

Guy Deeble

Well he said in stock and ships today , but I'll keep this in mind!
Photo of MWagner-Diggs

MWagner-Diggs

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Request for Update on Power Head Kit Availability Originally Announced 4 wks ago.

Request for Update on Power Head Kit Availability Originally Announced 4 weeks ago. - Thanks
Photo of tomswhitney

tomswhitney

• 562 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I'm very frustrated.  I live in Central Florida and just purchased a home 2 weeks ago.  After a thorough search and review of all lawn equipment products, I chose the Ego self-propelled mower and purchased one from Home Depot a week ago.  I have to say that I'm very impressed.  The product meets and exceeds my expectations.

So... I went back to HD today to look for an edger/trimmer - hoping to buy an EGO product.  Not only did they not have the new power head products, but the store has stopped carrying the EGO mowers in-store.  They are now online only.  They only had 4 EGO products in stock and no plans to increase.  The sales associate that I talked to was totally flummoxed.  He said that the EGOs were selling as fast as they could get them but "Atlanta" decided to no longer carry them in the busiest store in the county!  On top of that, they squeezed the mower section from 3 racks to 2 and only have 2/10 models that are self propelled.  Anyone who has ever mowed St. Augustine grass know that it is VERY hard to push through.  What are these dingbats thinking?

I came home and went on the egopowerplus website and looked to see if I could order that way and found that everything is out-of-stock - at HD of course...  Amazon, as recommended by Amber, has a power head for $249 ($100 over MSRP) and Grainger, who comes up as the only authorized alternative to HD does not stock and would have to "look into" whether they could order one for me.

As nice as it is, I'm thinking of taking the mower back and exchanging it for a gas set.  For $549 I could get a Honda mower and a gas edger/trimmer.

As an engineer and a supply chain professional, I am concerned about where this company is going.  First, if they could not anticipate the demand, then someone in marketing should be sacked and sacked quickly!  Second, If they are exclusive to HD and they are taking the product off the shelf that does not give me the "warm and fuzzies" that EGO will be around long enough to honor the 5 year warranty!  Trust me, I get supply and demand, but if there is no supply, demand (like mine) will go away.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Wh is an amount of energy, Wh/h would be a rate of consumption or a power level. ;-)
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Or rate of power acquisition as how many watt-hours the battery gains per unit time on the charger on average.  Such could be simplified to Watts, but I decided not to do that just for the sake of lack of confusion.
(Edited)
Photo of Blue Angel

Blue Angel, Champion

• 180,008 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Gotcha! I should have tied that comment to the charging theme.
Photo of TheAtomTwister

TheAtomTwister

• 13,128 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
By the way, if what I read on Home Depot is correct, Redback's 120V battery charges at a rate of 518.4 Wh/h, which smashes the record as far as I know.  I'm waiting for a 9 amp smart charger, why 9 amps and not 12 amps? cause you could get two to a 20 amp circuit breaker.  One of these would have to step its charging power down for the 2.5 and 2Ah packs and only go to full charging power on batteries that can take it, about 20 minutes max for packs with 2Ah cells, and 30 for packs with 2.5Ah cells.
Photo of Billy Hung

Billy Hung

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Can always order from Rich ^^
Photo of Tremayne Myles

Tremayne Myles

• 514 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Power Head Edger Availability? When?.
Photo of greekbecky

greekbecky

Thank you, Rich for a very easy and pleasant transaction!
Photo of Jas

Jas

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled When will combo kits be available? It looks great at advertised but it's allwa....
Photo of Karen

Karen

• 62 Points
Edger available this afternoon on Home Depot website. http://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-8-in-E...
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

• 1,364 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I got an email alert at 1:25 pm the other day from Home Depot saying that the edger was back in stock. At 1:35 I got home and went to my computer and clicked on the link in the email that took me to the Home Depot product page. It already said "Out of stock online" :(
Photo of Darrell Jones

Darrell Jones

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
That's great, but without the power head #PH1400 I don't think I can do much with this...
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

Any further updates on the availability of the Power Head combo kit?
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

• 106,132 Points 100k badge 2x thumb
Have you tried Cantrell Equipment
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

Any ideas why EGO doesn't just sell their equipment online themselves from their own online store or even via Amazon? (Sorry if this has already been asked/answered some where). 
Photo of novadam

novadam

• 432 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
they do sell through Amazon.  same stocking problem, however (at least back when i was looking for the stuff i needed, before i found cantrell through this board)
Photo of szwoopp

szwoopp, Champion

Some items are available on Amazon.  I should receive my HL blade today thru amazon.  Not sure why the full line is not available.  Perhaps part of the HD exclusive contract.

Their own online store requires a lot of work and capital commitment with inventory, shipping, sales tax, etc.
Photo of tbroas

tbroas

Oh, got it, thanks for the clarification 
Photo of Amber F.

***UPDATE: The Power Head, Pole Saw, and Edger will be available again sometime right around the middle of August. We will post here as soon as we have a more specific date. 
Photo of greekbecky

greekbecky

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Home Depot: July Availability for Edger Attachment and String Cutter for EGO Pow....

I  left a message with Ego over the weekend regarding availability of the Edger and String Cutter attachment at Home Depot.  I received a voicemail from them on Monday informing me to expect them in July.  The caller didn't instill a ton of confidence, but I wanted to share this as many of you are waiting as well.  I just don't understand why they would launch the power system (resulting in added expense to the consumer) and not have enough inventory and/or not have Ego products in every HD store for purchase.  It's rather frustrating to have to jump through hoops to purchase an Ego product.
Photo of MWagner-Diggs

MWagner-Diggs

• 212 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I for one would like for a TOP official (President, CEO, etc) at EGO to step-up and take ownership of this situation and be upfront on the root cause whether manufacturing delays or other. While EGO is not the first company to encounter a problem of this type it. To me this is much more of an issue than the product shortage.
(Edited)
Photo of Guy Deeble

Guy Deeble

Exactly my sentiment, people simply want to know the truth
Photo of John Fm

John Fm

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It's embarrassing really. And I'm sure some executive has to be looking at this scenario as lots of lost revenue; demand is incredible and they can't meet demand.

And in today's market, you better strike whilst you're hot because consumers don't have that much brand loyalty anymore. I already know of several people who've returned what they own from EGO and just went with another brand due to availability.

It's almost laughable to not have stock of landscape products during the summer.
Photo of Woody Crandall

Woody Crandall

• 1,776 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This has been going on far too long to blame it all on the retailer (HD) and not adequately addressed by either. I finally gave up waiting and bought an Echo system. Happy with it , but would have preferred the EGO Combo Package. I'm sure there are others who have bailed with some loss of revenue , but I suspect the real damage will be reputation and perception.
Photo of Michael

Michael

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The most successful companies have long understood that transparency builds goodwill and silence destroys it. Assuming EGO's products attract educated, environmentally-concerned customers, you would think EGO execs would have been more sensitive to our need for, and acceptance of, transparent communication. The current situation is intolerable; EGO points the finger at HD purchasing and HD blames EGO production issues. I really want to support this company but they're doing everything possible to lose my business.
Photo of Amber F.

Official Response
We sincerely understand everyone's frustration and have already escalated this issue internally. Please know that we greatly appreciate everyone's comments and they are not falling on deaf ears. We are indeed taking your voices seriously, but change can take time.

As our goal is to continue fostering a positive, productive environment on this community, we are now closing this topic. We will reopen it if/when any further updates become available.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.