Problem with Rapid Reload Plus head on ST1502SA String Trimmer

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
I bought two of the ST1502SA units from Home Depot just this past month during their sale.  They both have the new AH1530 Rapid Reload plus head and the newer battery with the level indicators.    Upon using the units, I have noticed that the bump feature takes an extreme amount of force to make the line advance.  In some cases, I just could not get the line to advance at all bumping the head and had to resort to advancing the line manually.   I had an older ST1500 unit with the AH1500 rapid reload head and it worked flawlessly with little force needed to advance the line. 

It seems unlikely that I got two bad heads at one time.   Has anyone else purchased the updated version (ST1502SA with AH1530 head) and experiencing issues advancing the line?
Photo of swansonp

swansonp

• 70 Points

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Gary Goodwin

Gary Goodwin

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I purchased the ST1502SA in Early May.  I too found that it seemed to take a pretty sizable bump to initiate the feed.  However I found later that it seemed to take less force if the trimmer was at full throttle when bumped.  Maybe it's just me but I rev it up to full before bumping and that seems to help.
Photo of Oregon Mike

Oregon Mike, Champion

• 66,946 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I always advance the line at full throttle. Also, don't let the line get too short or it won't advance. Probably not enough centrifugal force to pull the line out if too short and/or too slow.
Note that I also try to bump the head on something hard like concrete, brick, a tree stump, planter bed form, etc...
(Edited)
Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,380 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
In addition to making sure the trimmer head is spinning fast enough, I'll say that I haven't been a fan of the string that Ego's trimmers come loaded with. It's too brittle for me, and it does seem to get bound up more easily than other line I've used. You might just try a different brand of trimmer line. (I like Husqvarna's Titanium Force line.)