Pretty much useless when the string won't avance.

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

I have a devil of a time getting the string to advance on my 12" trimmer. I love it when it's working, but I just want to throw it down and jump on it sometimes when the string won't come out.
Photo of Stacie Shannon

Stacie Shannon

• 118 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Ken

Ken, Champion

• 73,500 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
There are several threads here discussing the problem. Most people seem to have good luck switching to a different brand of string, one that isn't twisted. Shakespeare and Rino-Tuff have gotten good reviews, and I had success with Echo.
Photo of Jennifer VandeWater

Jennifer VandeWater, Community Manager

• 81,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Stacie, check out this thread for some ideas on bump head help: https://community.egopowerplus.com/ego/topics/bump-feed-resolution
Photo of Richard

Richard

• 188 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I now use the Rhino-Tuff 0.80 ROUND my Home Depot had it (I tried many other lines that did not work) I finally have no advance problems and MUCH longer line life. I have found that you do have to press down and hold it down to get the line to advance. You can hear a change in sound as the line advances out until it hits the blade and cuts. Also, as the manual states its important to NOT let the line get to short before advancing it. These tips now make me happy with the trimmer and I hope they work for you.
Photo of Tim1951

Tim1951

• 3,364 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I have not had one bit of problem since switching to a different string (Shakespeare Ugly Twist). Another tip is to only use 9 to 10 feet of string when refilling and to not wind the string too tightly.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.